VOGONS

First post, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i finally put my 386 rig together, the spec is like this:
amd386dx-40
the infamous mx mainboard with no cache, but was said to have some integrated cache in the chipset.
16mb dram
trident 8900d 1mb
500mb ssd drive
3dbench scores 14.5fps, is this up to standard?

then i swapped in an everex et4000 vram 1mb, expecting to get at least a few more fps, only to be shocked at an underwhelming 13.8 fps, wtf?

however, i would admit that the trident was made in 1994, with a few jumpers seemingly tuned to the max: fifo mode and 0wait. i guess its the fastest thing the notorious 8900 family could ever get.
also i heard that vram was good for windows performance but bad for dos, is that true?

Reply 1 of 11, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure if ET4000 ever used VRAM chips. But it would make sense in this case. Some of Trident cards are as fast but never faster then ET4000 - in my experience. Also check if ET4000 has 1WS enabled - some cards have jumpers.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 2 of 11, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:

Not sure if ET4000 ever used VRAM chips. But it would make sense in this case. Some of Trident cards are as fast but never faster then ET4000 - in my experience. Also check if ET4000 has 1WS enabled - some cards have jumpers.

the card is named "viewpoint vram".
however, satson's info says it can be equipped with either dram or vram.
there is a jumper switching between dram and vram, which is currently set to vram, and its ram chips are all vertically plugged with all pins on one side.
i guess the best solution is to look up for the ram chips model but, in no way should such a well built et4000 be slower than a trident.

Reply 3 of 11, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As it uses VRAM it would make sense it's slower then fast Trident. VRAM cards are usually a bit slower in DOS.

Can you post a picture of your card?

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 4 of 11, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Really, the et4000 chip can use VRAM?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5 of 11, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have no idea the hell's up with Tseng ET4000 in general. Every time I found one and tried it I hoped it would finally live up to the hype but it was slow. 8900D, on the other hand, proved to be a nice fast chip, much faster than any other 8900 or 9000 variant.
How can I find a fast ISA ET4000? (Preferably with VESA BIOS.) I never had luck with them, my faith in them is worn thin.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 6 of 11, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

to your curiosity i have taken a photo:

et4000vram.jpg
Filename
et4000vram.jpg
File size
1.99 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

and i swapped in another et4000 with dram, but its the same 13.8fps.
tonight i am going to try the cirrus5434 and see if it can kick the trident's ass to hell.

Reply 7 of 11, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alvaro84 wrote:

I have no idea the hell's up with Tseng ET4000 in general. Every time I found one and tried it I hoped it would finally live up to the hype but it was slow. 8900D, on the other hand, proved to be a nice fast chip, much faster than any other 8900 or 9000 variant.
How can I find a fast ISA ET4000? (Preferably with VESA BIOS.) I never had luck with them, my faith in them is worn thin.

not sure... et4000 was released in 1990 but remained in production until at least 1994, maybe later cards with true color ramdac is faster.

Reply 8 of 11, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like an early ET4000 which are generally a bit slower.
Since yours has VRAM it would be interesting to know what the maximum refresh rate is if you go to e.g. 1024x768 at 256 colors?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 9 of 11, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i tested my stb cirrus5434 and its still the same 13.8fps!
but i noticed a jumper on the cirrus which says 0wait and is set to off, maybe the trident is the only one set to 0wait and thereby got away with the advantage.
the problem is, how do i calculate if 0wait can be used safely without going wrong? especially that cirrus5434 is a graphics accelerator, would it access ram much more frequently in windows?

Reply 10 of 11, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just set it to 0 WS and try if it still works reliably.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 11 of 11, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:

Just set it to 0 WS and try if it still works reliably.

well i set it to 0wait and it got the same 14.5fps, it seems that 0wait is the only thing that makes a difference between these cards.
however i can't push it to the limit on a 386, and i havn't even installed win95 on the rig yet, just tried a few vga games in dos like doom and simcity2000, so i am not sure if it would work reliably in 0WS.
still i can't believe that the trident is as fast as the et4000 and cirrus5434...