VOGONS

First post, by matpro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I'm going to attempt to update to a newer BIOS on a 286 I'm building up. The BIOS Chip Type is : http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_r4-th018.html

I'm going to get one of the USB universal programmers for the new BIOS and some replacement chips, however I can't find these chip types anywhere.

My question is can I substitute them with another type such as the 27C256 or 27256 EPROM both of which seem to be plentiful on ebay?

Whats the difference between these EPROM's anyway if they are all DIP-28 will they work?

Reply 2 of 14, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry for hijacking a thread, but has somone used that LAN card option rom, to make a ROM version of dos boot disk, i would be cool to just boot to dos with a lan card and a rom chip. I have googled, and i think it is totally possible, but have not find any exact instructions or roms.

Or even somehow put a partition boot manager inside a LAN boot rom. In a 256kb rom, you can add DOS and even some basic tools.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 3 of 14, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyberdyne wrote:

Sorry for hijacking a thread, but has somone used that LAN card option rom, to make a ROM version of dos boot disk, i would be cool to just boot to dos with a lan card and a rom chip. I have googled, and i think it is totally possible, but have not find any exact instructions or roms.

Or even somehow put a partition boot manager inside a LAN boot rom. In a 256kb rom, you can add DOS and even some basic tools.

The Tandy 1000 series - or at least the SL and TL - had MS-DOS 3.3 in a ROM, which was the default boot device. I bet you could do something like that, but I'm not sure how useful it'd be.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 5 of 14, by MERCURY127

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

u can use any [e][e]prom with matched or greater size and matched pinout.
if u use prom with greater size, than real bios size - duplicate bios two or 4 times to fully fill chip.
ie if original chip was 32 KBytes size:

old
chip
E000EFFFF000FFFF <- end of first megabyte,
XXXXXXXXXXXXBIOS

then if u want use 64 KByte chip, u need make that:

new chip
E000EFFFF000FFFF <- end of first megabyte,
XXXXXXXXBIOSBIOS

Reply 6 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So I'm going to attempt to update to a newer BIOS on a 286 I'm building up. The BIOS Chip Type is :
http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_r4-th018.html

Never heard of that model before, sorry. 🙁
Perhaps it's just a one-time programmable EPROM chip of an eastern production ?

OTP's are essentially normal EPROMs, but without an UV window of quartz.
The "256" could hint of the size in Kilobits (256/8= 32 KB).

And since the pin count is 28, it could be likely something compatible to a 27C256.
27xxx or 27Cxxx were the de-facto standard for EPROM chips back in the day.

Reading wise, they should all behave pretty much the same.

I haven't tried yet, but some of the 28C and 29F series can be used as drop-in replacements.
Sometimes a tiny bit of re-wiring is required, but that's nothing a cheap plastic socket can't solve. 😉

Anyway, I really recommend to get a real EPROM programmer, not just a $5 BIOS flasher.
On the long run, they (real prommers) will save a lot of stress and dissappointment.

Personally, I had a good experiences with both a G550 and and TL866CS so far.
These units costs roughly about $50 (~40€) and work for most of the CMOS chips (27C???).

Edit: Oh, and let's don't forget the UV eraser. They can be bought really cheap from China.
Strangely, they seem to operate at 110/130V, though. Perhaps they are export devices for the market of the USB, dunno..
Anyway, since I'm in Europe, I have to use it with a step-down converter here.

If you go the same route, make sure you get a few 27C EPROMs also. And by different brands, if possible.
In case of doubt (or the lack of support in the programmer's database), programming these with the settings
for their "intel" or "amd" counterparts should do.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 14, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a g840 its the bomb. there are many many versions of TL866CS floating around, some not so good ones, some very good.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 9 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
.legaCy wrote:

G550 is pretty much garbage, however the TL866CS is pretty good.

Um, okay. 😐 The G540 worked good enough for me, if I used a strong USB port (USB 3.x).
The control software could be better, though. The Engrish spelling isn't that good.
Gratefully, someone made a patch to fix that : 😀
http://www.pjmelect.talktalk.net/

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 14, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cyberdyne wrote:

Maybe have a look at this post: Re: Large IDE drives on 286/AT/ISA class machines
It's not entirely what you're looking for but, might be helpful in getting around some "pitfalls".

Reply 11 of 14, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote:
Um, okay. :neutral: The G540 worked good enough for me, if I used a strong USB port (USB 3.x). The control software could be be […]
Show full quote
.legaCy wrote:

G550 is pretty much garbage, however the TL866CS is pretty good.

Um, okay. 😐 The G540 worked good enough for me, if I used a strong USB port (USB 3.x).
The control software could be better, though. The Engrish spelling isn't that good.
Gratefully, someone made a patch to fix that : 😀
http://www.pjmelect.talktalk.net/

G540 cant flasha modern spi flash from a z170 board, to be honest i didnt even found the right model to flash the bios from an asus m2n-x.
The tl866cs is way better compared to g540.

Reply 12 of 14, by matpro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks all, I've gone ahead and got the TL866CS, UV eraser and a handful of the 27C128, 27C256 & 27C512 eprom chips from ebay. That should cover all bases and give me some spares for future projects. Now just have to wait for the boat from China!

Reply 13 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The TL866CS is fine, too. Just remember to uncheck the "Check ID" checkbox, to make the programming sequence work.
Otherwise, you'll end up like me and bang your head on a table many times. Haha. 😁

Good luck! ^^

Attachments

• button.gif
    Filename
    button.gif
    File size
    4.84 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

//My video channel//

Reply 14 of 14, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
matpro wrote:

Thanks all, I've gone ahead and got the TL866CS, UV eraser and a handful of the 27C128, 27C256 & 27C512 eprom chips from ebay. That should cover all bases and give me some spares for future projects. Now just have to wait for the boat from China!

Following the instructions that is provided here it should work like a charm.
Good luck