VOGONS

First post, by HoneyBadger1650

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi again,
Since my last posting I've gotten myself a PNY Quickchip (AMD 5x86 @ 133MHz). I put a heat sink on it (the original one was removed by the previous owner, so I put my own little one on there), removed the POD, and replaced it with the new CPU. As I was expecting, nothing ever works the first time, as was the case here - I turned on the computer, and nothing happened. The board received power, but wouldn't display anything. I made certain that the CPU was snug in the socket making sure to leave the outer rows of pins empty (those pin holes were previously filled by the POD, but this CPU doesn't make use of them), and aligning the notch with the one indicated on the socket. I then changed the board's pins from DX to SX to see if that was possibly an issue. Still nothing. I reverted the DIP switches on the bottom of the CPU back to the original settings as referenced from this page (http://web.archive.org/web/19980415093529/htt … switchreve.html). I can upload a picture of the CPU and board if they're of any help to anyone. The only thing I can think of that would be a problem would be the DIP switches, but wouldn't they just affect performance? Or maybe this board just isn't compatible with an AMD chip (I don't have a manual for the computer, so I'm not sure).
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reply 1 of 3, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First of all, are you sure that the board can provide 3.3v for the CPU ? If you put it in 5v, you'll fry it quickly unless you use a voltage adapter. For the jumper settings, check if the FSB is 33MHz and not something else and also make sure the jumpers are set in write-back mode (the 5x86 has write-back l1 cache so this will perform better though I don't see why it would make the computer unable to POST)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 3, by HoneyBadger1650

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deksor wrote:

First of all, are you sure that the board can provide 3.3v for the CPU ? If you put it in 5v, you'll fry it quickly unless you use a voltage adapter. For the jumper settings, check if the FSB is 33MHz and not something else and also make sure the jumpers are set in write-back mode (the 5x86 has write-back l1 cache so this will perform better though I don't see why it would make the computer unable to POST)

Deksor,
Not sure if the board supports 3.3v (don't know where to test that at, and I don't have any documentation on the board to go off of since I'm missing the manual, and the Hardware Maintenance Service PDF I found on the internet doesn't seem to mention any of the CPU voltages. I don't really think sticking a multi meter into random holes is going to work (or is a good idea). I do, however, see that on the top of the CPU there's two contact pads labeled "+5V" and "GND". I'm not sure what these do, as going on Trinity Works' old website on the Web Archive only mentions how to set the DIP switches and motherboard jumpers. It does state that the board should be set to "486 DX 33MHz - 5 Volts" for best performance and nothing about these leads. So does that mean that this chip is able to be used in a 5V board without the need of a voltage adapter? If that's the case, the chip should have worked before, right? Or would I have to do something with those two pads on the top of the chip? I've put the POD back in for now and it does start up, so at least I know I didn't fry the board last night when I was testing it.
I've uploaded a picture of the pads. I honestly have no idea what they do. For all I know it may be a 5V lead for a cooling fan or something, but I thought they may be of use.

PNY quickchip.jpg
Filename
PNY quickchip.jpg
File size
352.8 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

EDIT: After looking some more on their website, I'm coming to the conclusion that this is a 5V CPU, since they've said to make sure that the motherboard is set to 5V, however I'm not sure if PNY changed anything on the design or "inner workings" making it a 3.3V version (just an afterthought).

Reply 3 of 3, by HoneyBadger1650

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I fixed it. Apparently this board automatically switches voltages, so the voltage wasn't the problem. Turns out one of the dip switches wasn't working correctly (not sure which one), but I just blasted some air in the switch holes and it works.