VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,
I was trying this Asrock mobo that support Prescott cpu and 800Mhz FSB, SATA, with Intel 865g chipset. I tried some cpu on it, a Celeron D 3,0Ghz and a Pentium 4 3,0Ghz Prescott 1MB L2 and 800Mhz FSB. This last is definetely faster of course. I can still try a Pentium 4 3,2Ghz 512Kbyte 800Mhz FSB (Northwood) and soon a 3,2Ghz 1MB L2 800Mhz FSB. Are these alread almost the fastest socket 478 cpus I can try?
Thank

Reply 1 of 10, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

there is a 3.2 GHz Extreme Edition, as well as 3.4 GHz Prescott and a 3.4 GHz Extreme Edition. The last 2 are the fastest "official" CPUs for the platform. You can use a 479 to 478 adaptor to run some mobile CPUs which are pretty fast.

Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840
QuForce FX 5800: turn your Quadro into a GeForce

Reply 2 of 10, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
slivercr wrote:

there is a 3.2 GHz Extreme Edition, as well as 3.4 GHz Prescott and a 3.4 GHz Extreme Edition. The last 2 are the fastest "official" CPUs for the platform. You can use a 479 to 478 adaptor to run some mobile CPUs which are pretty fast.

Interesting, I didn't know about this adapter. What did change on the Extreme Editions?

Reply 3 of 10, by Dani-01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
386SX wrote:
slivercr wrote:

Interesting, I didn't know about this adapter. What did change on the Extreme Editions?

The Extreme Editions had 2MB of L3 cache besides the 512kB L2. Pretty hard to find any these days though in my experience.

Reply 4 of 10, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dani-01 wrote:
386SX wrote:
slivercr wrote:

The Extreme Editions had 2MB of L3 cache besides the 512kB L2. Pretty hard to find any these days though in my experience.

Interesting, I read anyway with the older core and without SSE3. Were they faster then the equal 1MB L2 and SSE3 Prescott?

Reply 5 of 10, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Benchmarks from the time of release largely showed the Northwood (512KB) being faster than the Prescott. However, I don't know if that's true with later software. I have found that the Prescott is faster at H.264 video decoding. It could also be faster at later games that may be more tailored for the Prescott.
So the question of which is faster probably needs to be qualified by what the killer app is.

Even where the Prescott is faster, maybe the "Extreme Edition" versions of the Northwood make up the difference. I've never tested one of those, just plain Northwoods.

Prescotts are hard on motherboard VRMs. Not sure about the EE Northwood.

Reply 6 of 10, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shamino wrote:
Benchmarks from the time of release largely showed the Northwood (512KB) being faster than the Prescott. However, I don't know […]
Show full quote

Benchmarks from the time of release largely showed the Northwood (512KB) being faster than the Prescott. However, I don't know if that's true with later software. I have found that the Prescott is faster at H.264 video decoding. It could also be faster at later games that may be more tailored for the Prescott.
So the question of which is faster probably needs to be qualified by what the killer app is.

Even where the Prescott is faster, maybe the "Extreme Edition" versions of the Northwood make up the difference. I've never tested one of those, just plain Northwoods.

Thanks. Never tried P4 cpus back in those times, always have been an Athlon XP fan but they seems quiet fast in the os usage, also with last Linux versions. I really like the 775 versions of these cpu. I've the 3,2Ghz 512Kbyte 800Mhz SL6WG version of the Northwood maybe I will test it.

Reply 7 of 10, by Dani-01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
shamino wrote:

Well, wikipedia lists them as 92,1W for the 3,2GHz one and 102,9W for the 3,4GHz version. I'm guessing the Gallatin is somewhere between Northwood and Prescott. Closer to the Prescott maybe.

Reply 8 of 10, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dani-01 wrote:
shamino wrote:

Well, wikipedia lists them as 92,1W for the 3,2GHz one and 102,9W for the 3,4GHz version. I'm guessing the Gallatin is somewhere between Northwood and Prescott. Closer to the Prescott maybe.

They're harder on VRM because Prescott is lower voltage, thus needing higher current.

Northwood v Precott is a mixed bag. For in-era gaming, Northwood is ahead most of the times (say 75/25 split). In Comanche 4, Northwood 3.4 > Prescott 3.4 by 20%! For SpecViewPerf, Prescott is ahead by comfy margins. It all depends on if the application wants a smaller, faster cache with shorter pipelines vs a larger slower cache with longer pipelines.

Of course the Extreme Edition is way ahead in most cases.

http://techreport.com/review/6459/intel-penti … hz-processors/5

Reply 9 of 10, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The extreme edition uses the Gallatin core as previously mentioned with L3 cache. But I'd like to add the core is the same as that generation of Xeon.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 10 of 10, by Dani-01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dexvx wrote:
Dani-01 wrote:
shamino wrote:

They're harder on VRM because Prescott is lower voltage, thus needing higher current.

Oh, my mistake then. Wrote that when I was pretty tired. 🤣
The voltages are 1,55 and 1,575 respectively, so they should be like regular Northwoods.

As for Northwood vs Prescott, I did try a 3,06GHz Northwood HT (533) and a 3,4GHz Prescott HT (800) not long ago. The Northwood was right up there (or at least close) in older games despite the lower FSB, while the Prescott was noticably faster in much newer games (like Serious Sam HD and GRID), but you wouldn't want to play those on a P4 anyway unless you're looking for how low can you go. 🤣