VOGONS

First post, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked up a 1000SL a few months ago, got around to cleaning it up. It works well, except there is no sound. Nothing from the internal PC speaker, nothing from the headphone jack. Fired up a few SCI sierra games, set them to both PC speaker and Tandy / pc jr sound, NOTHING.

there's a daughterboard of sorts for the front reset switch and the audio. Any idea how to troubleshoot this?

Z28A8Vvl.jpg

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 3 of 6, by Ehorre01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did you ever have any luck fixing the sound? I have an old SL from my childhood and the sound has stopped working entirely. Nothing from the speaker or headphone jack. Could the volume knob be a problem? The sound was the best part of this system. So sad it quit working…

Reply 4 of 6, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you tried squirting contact cleaner (DeOxit, CRC QD Electronic Cleaner, etc.) into the volume control pot, and then working the pot for a bit to clean the internal contacts?
Did you test for short circuited tantalum caps (use a multimeter)?
Did you check for cracked solder joints on the sound satellite board?

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 5 of 6, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Any news on your Tandy?

Speaking of volume knobs, I wish someone'd make an STL for the SL/TL volume knob as mine broke a long time ago 🙁

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 6 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wonder the same. An old oscillograph really can help checking were the signal comes from and goes to.
Tapping some traces with an active speaker box may also work, but it's not as elegant as using an oscillograph.
- It doesn't have to be an expensive model. One from the 1960s will work, too.
They all can do AF, after all.

Just make sure it has an "AC" switch or insert a electrolyte capacitor.
Because, AF is AC. Well, theoretical. The old PC Speaker uses DC/5v..
But that's an exception, I suppose, because it's not connected to a real sound chip, but the system timer.

Edit: *oscilloscope in English slang, the one with the CRT I mean.. 😅

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//