VOGONS

First post, by Alkhatri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not sure what went wrong with my AWE64 (CT4380) It gets hot really really hot it's like your hands are going to melt so it's able to play the windows boot up sound and WAV files fine (There's a bit of crackling audio it could be the speaker I'm not sure it just started happening yesterday) but when I play MIDIs it's where things go wrong there's literally no Sound and it just starts crackling like crazy I'm literally panicking right now, since I don't have a spare sound card and the motherboard doesn't have onboard audio (ASUS P3B-F) and I got that AWE64 for 8$ 2 months ago it was working fine until yesterday when I encountered those issues.
Specs:
ASUS P3B-F
Pentium 3 500MHz (Katmai)
256MB Kingston "ValueRAM" PC133 (single stick)
ATi Radeon 7000 (Used to have a GF4mx 4000 but there were some driver issues that would cause windows to freeze every time I start the system up)

Reply 1 of 11, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As long as the heat doesn't go above around 90C (the point where semiconductors aren't very happy, and well above the point where you can burn yourself at) you should be alright.

There are OEM versions of the AWE64 that lack all MIDI and OPL (CQM) compatibility, and are simply the AWE64 DAC on a card. I was tricked into buying one on EBay for my 486 build (yeah, AWE64 for a 486 isn't the most time accurate in hind sight) and it only worked using PCM sound, which would explain why the windows sound plays, but nothing else. One way to tell if you have one of these cards is if there is no header soldered on for the memory expansion. If there are a lot of chips missing (around the same area as the memory expansion) then it's probably one of those.

The heat could be anything. My AWE32 (CT3670) which I bought to replace my AWE64 does run noticeably warm, but no where near hot enough to burn. If you are really concerned (and if you want to keep the card) feel free to get a cheapie heatsink kit with a thermal glue pad, or a tube of thermal interfacing glue to secure it. Just remember, once it's on, it will NEVER come off if you are using the right glue.

I also suggest throwing DOS on that box real quick and using the SBAWE64 diagnosis program to test the card. If it's only the 8 and 16 bit digitized sounds working, and FM/AWE sounds are not working right, AND If AWEUTIL fails to load on startup, then I would wager that you have one of the not totally uncommon OEM cards.

Reply 2 of 11, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Perhaps try a different AWE64 to see if it also is overly hot. If two cards have the issue, then perhaps there is an issue with the motherboard, or PSU voltages.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 3 of 11, by Alkhatri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ampera wrote:
As long as the heat doesn't go above around 90C (the point where semiconductors aren't very happy, and well above the point wher […]
Show full quote

As long as the heat doesn't go above around 90C (the point where semiconductors aren't very happy, and well above the point where you can burn yourself at) you should be alright.

There are OEM versions of the AWE64 that lack all MIDI and OPL (CQM) compatibility, and are simply the AWE64 DAC on a card. I was tricked into buying one on EBay for my 486 build (yeah, AWE64 for a 486 isn't the most time accurate in hind sight) and it only worked using PCM sound, which would explain why the windows sound plays, but nothing else. One way to tell if you have one of these cards is if there is no header soldered on for the memory expansion. If there are a lot of chips missing (around the same area as the memory expansion) then it's probably one of those.

The heat could be anything. My AWE32 (CT3670) which I bought to replace my AWE64 does run noticeably warm, but no where near hot enough to burn. If you are really concerned (and if you want to keep the card) feel free to get a cheapie heatsink kit with a thermal glue pad, or a tube of thermal interfacing glue to secure it. Just remember, once it's on, it will NEVER come off if you are using the right glue.

I also suggest throwing DOS on that box real quick and using the SBAWE64 diagnosis program to test the card. If it's only the 8 and 16 bit digitized sounds working, and FM/AWE sounds are not working right, AND If AWEUTIL fails to load on startup, then I would wager that you have one of the not totally uncommon OEM cards.

It's not an OEM Card it's a normal card (I think? since it has all the normal headers that a normal AWE64 would feature) I tried DIAGNOSIS in DOS 8 and 16 bit digitized sounds worked but the Synthesised music test didn't work the card was also hot not sure what's going on. (AWEUTIL won't launch it would just say AWE32 not found so that's why I went with DIAGNOSIS)

Reply 4 of 11, by Alkhatri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote:

Perhaps try a different AWE64 to see if it also is overly hot. If two cards have the issue, then perhaps there is an issue with the motherboard, or PSU voltages.

It's my one and only sound card that I currently have I don't have any other soundcards to test I tried resetting the BIOS options back to their default settings and again same results

Reply 7 of 11, by Alkhatri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ampera wrote:

Sounds awfully like one of the OEM cards to me.

It's entirely possible in this case you just have a mank card. Rotten luck.

I guess we could assume it's dead and also I might get a new sound card later do you know any alternatives to the AWE64?

Reply 8 of 11, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AWEUTIL won't launch it would just say AWE32 not found

Sounds like maybe you need a later version of AWEUTIL.

You could also check the output of the 7805 regulator at the front of the card and make sure it is outputting the correct voltage.

Terrible sounds and oddities do happen with the incorrect version of AWEUTIL. I blew out my eardrums with crazy static on an SB32 once after running the wrong version.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 9 of 11, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alternatives? Depends on what you want to do with it. Do you need the wavetable synth, or would FM be sufficient?

I like the Yamaha Audician32 (YMF718, IIRC) and ESS Audiodrive variants (ES1868 and ES1869) for DOS. If you don't need DOS compatibility, try the Audigy2 ZS - it's pretty easy to come by, was sold for a long time, and modern Windows and Linux comes with drivers, so folks still use them in modern machines with standard PCI. (Creative has a PCI-e version now, even.)

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 10 of 11, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Since the card seems to sorta function, might try inspecting the card for a short, even nearly invisible minuscule tin whiskers can cause a short.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 11 of 11, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Alkhatri wrote:
Ampera wrote:

Sounds awfully like one of the OEM cards to me.

It's entirely possible in this case you just have a mank card. Rotten luck.

I guess we could assume it's dead and also I might get a new sound card later do you know any alternatives to the AWE64?

I personally bought an AWE32 CT3670 which I think is the best all in one no fuss cheapest option for ISA sound. It's NOT the best, having CQM OPL emulation instead of real OPL, and no wave table header, but if you just want pretty much on par OPL sound, full PCM sound, and damn good General MIDI synth ESPECIALLY on Windows (DOS has a few issues with it on some programs) it's the best option if you can find one for cheap, about as good as an AWE64.

You can also go up from there in price and function, but honestly that rig deserves something like a Sound Blaster Live! unless you are going to be doing a lot of DOS gaming.