VOGONS

First post, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One of my dump find PCs was a three foot tower. I am wondering what to do with it. Options are:

XT system
286 -16
386DX-40 (what's in it now)
socket 7
Maybe find the biggest baddest, BX chiptset or one of those rare slot A athlon boards.

Reply 1 of 5, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If that's a 386 in there, the form factor is probably AT or Baby AT (prehaps AT, these big towers often accept full sized AT boards) so you won't really find a slot A that would fit in there. I know that some socket 478 existed in AT form factor, but they are stupidly rare. The best option that comes to my mind if you want performance is to find a slot 1 board in AT form factor and put a pentium 3 in it (or a fast celeron if you got an i440LX chipset like me)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 5, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd second Deksor here - find a big AT 440BX board. A dualie if you can. Or maybe a Slot 2 Xeon board, if you can find one in AT (IIRC they were all ATX, but you might luck out). It is, after all, a lot easier to put an AT board in an ATX case than vice versa.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 4 of 5, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote:

If that's a 386 in there, the form factor is probably AT or Baby AT (prehaps AT, these big towers often accept full sized AT boards) so you won't really find a slot A that would fit in there. I know that some socket 478 existed in AT form factor, but they are stupidly rare. The best option that comes to my mind if you want performance is to find a slot 1 board in AT form factor and put a pentium 3 in it (or a fast celeron if you got an i440LX chipset like me)

jade_angel wrote:

I'd second Deksor here - find a big AT 440BX board. A dualie if you can. Or maybe a Slot 2 Xeon board, if you can find one in AT (IIRC they were all ATX, but you might luck out). It is, after all, a lot easier to put an AT board in an ATX case than vice versa.

It is indeed a full AT tower, complete with the full size AT PSU.

There are indeed Slot 2 AT motherboards, one of my old schools used to have a bunch of those computers for the drafting class. (They also used to have a bunch of these cool Tangent PCs with built in speakers, can't find one anymore). Anyway, those AT Slot 2 boards are almost as hard to find as AT style Athlon boards, but I am reasonably convinced I have seen one. Had a Duron 1100 in it, as I recall.

Hell, those AT style BXs aren't as numerous as I thought they were.

I'll try to get a pic when I get home.

Reply 5 of 5, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The ne plus ultra here would be an AT-style dual Athlon MP, but I'm within epsilon of certain that those never existed. If they *did*, though, it'd be either Tyan or Supermicro that made 'em.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.