VOGONS

First post, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As the title says, I'd want to build a Windows 2000 build, but have no idea what parts should I use.

Here are all the parts I have. If you find something that would work for a Win2k build, then let me know.

Motherboards with CPUs:
-PCChips M811LU w/ AMD Duron 950MHz
-Gigabyte GA-7DXE w/ AMD Athlon XP 1700+
-MSI K7N2-L w/ AMD Athlon XP 2500+
-ASRock K7S41GX w/ AMD Athlon XP 2500+
-ASUS P4B533 w/ Pentium 4 2.4GHz
-MSI 845E Max w/ Pentium 4 2.8GHz
-Gigabyte GA-8I848P-G w/ Pentium 4 2.8GHz
-Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 (865PE) w/ Pentium 4 2.8GHz
-ASRock P4i65G w/ Celeron 2GHz (Northwood)
-ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe w/ Pentium 4 HT 3GHz
-Biostar P4M80-M4 w/Pentium 4 2.8GHz
-ASUS K8N w/AMD Sempron 2800+

GPUs:
-nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 32MB AGP
-ATI Rage 128/Xpert2000 32MB AGP
-Winfast A340/FX5200 128MB AGP8x
-ABIT Siluro FX5200DT 64MB AGP8x
-Sapphire Radeon 9600SE 128MB AGP8x
-Palit Geforce FX5500 256MB AGP8x
-ASUS/ATi Radeon HD3450 512MB AGP8x

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 1 of 8, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't personally know of any motherboard/CPU combo that you've got listed that is incompatible with Win2K, but I'd imagine most of them have drivers available to support an installation.

If you're concerned about performance ... as I type this I'm installing Win2K on a Coppermine Celeron 1.1GHz w/256MB RAM; it's pretty responsive on the desktop and for some basic tasks, but sadly not the task it's set up for (scanning in documents - can't add more RAM to it due to 810 chipset limitations). Which applications will you be running?

Reply 2 of 8, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JidaiGeki wrote:

I don't personally know of any motherboard/CPU combo that you've got listed that is incompatible with Win2K, but I'd imagine most of them have drivers available to support an installation.

If you're concerned about performance ... as I type this I'm installing Win2K on a Coppermine Celeron 1.1GHz w/256MB RAM; it's pretty responsive on the desktop and for some basic tasks, but sadly not the task it's set up for (scanning in documents - can't add more RAM to it due to 810 chipset limitations). Which applications will you be running?

2000-2006 games mostly and maybe internet browsing since it's going to use some kernel extensions to have it run newer apps.

Reply 3 of 8, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PcBytes wrote:
JidaiGeki wrote:

2000-2006 games mostly and maybe internet browsing since it's going to use some kernel extensions to have it run newer apps.

In which case it'll probably need as much horsepower as it can get! For that the P4P800/3GHz P4 and AGP 3450 would be your top setup, these guys were running similar specs in 2015 - http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/174055-buildi … ed-some-advice/

Reply 5 of 8, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd go with the PCChips just for old times sake when we could barely afford even those 😀. Browsing is not gonna be fun...

I plan to do something similar with a socket7 chips board, but the transistor in the VR part will get a nice powerfull upgrade first.

Reply 6 of 8, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elod wrote:

I'd go with the PCChips just for old times sake when we could barely afford even those 😀. Browsing is not gonna be fun...

I plan to do something similar with a socket7 chips board, but the transistor in the VR part will get a nice powerfull upgrade first.

It's a KT266A motherboard which is pretty boring at best.

I might go with the P4P800-E as JidaiGeki suggested, although I'm probably going to use the Sapphire Radeon 9600SE 128MB because even in the given conditions the AGP HD3450 would be overkill. For the record, I'd actually see the 3450 in more of a XP-Vista machine (that I might actually build once I get some SATA cables) combined with a mere Sempron 2800+ which is pretty enough (although I suppose I can find a Athlon 64 2800+ or 3000+ on 754 or even 939) for light browsing and maybe some higher end GTA San Andreas gaming (by higher end I mean ENB Series and such)

Reply 7 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JidaiGeki wrote:
PcBytes wrote:
JidaiGeki wrote:

In which case it'll probably need as much horsepower as it can get! For that the P4P800/3GHz P4 and AGP 3450 would be your top setup, these guys were running similar specs in 2015 - http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/174055-buildi … ed-some-advice/

Looking at what was asked, I'd tend to go with this suggestion.

The R9600 might be on the weak side for the latter era of games. I noticed a definitive improvement when going from a Radeon 9600 (I think it was the pro variant but I'm not 100% positive) to the GF7600GS. Both GPUs had 256MB RAM.

The K8N is s754, of which the Athlons were pretty good actually! I'm not sure about the chipset as I never used it. But the VIA ones (once you got around its quirks) combined with 2.2GHz Athlon 64 CPUs, were a good combination 😎

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 8, by kikenovic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
elod wrote:

I'd go with the PCChips just for old times sake when we could barely afford even those 😀. .

🤣 you're right. PC Cheaps w Celeron 433 is what I had around 2001. Worked great with Win2k, got the job done