VOGONS

Reply 20 of 27, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Since I have joined Vogons in somewere around 2013, I have build at least 3 Pentium3 machines. I will list them here....

Machine #1
Intel VC820 motherboard (Slot1/RD-Ram)
Pentium3 500 Slot1 CPU
256mb PC-800 RD-Ram
Matrox G400 (later swapped for: TNT2-Pro)
SB-Live (later swapped to Yamaha YMF-724)

Machine #2
Intel se440bx2 Motherboard
Pentium3 500 Slot1 CPU
512mb PC-133 Ram (133 for extra stability)
Matrox G400-max (Later swapped to TNT2-Pro)
Voodoo2-SLI (2x12mb)
Creative AWE64 Gold (Later swapped to YMF-724)

Machine #3
Intel d815eea2 Motherboard
Pentium3 933 Socket370
512mb PC-133 Ram
Voodoo3-3500 "Compaq edition" (later swapped to GF2-GTS, then GF4-ti4200, then GF3-ti200)
Yamaha YMF-724

Note that the Compaq edition of the V3-3500 is the model used by Phils computerlab.
It is a nice card, unfortunately very hard to find. 🙁

EDIT:
Regarding Voodoo cards, then I recommend V2 if you go for something like P3-600/800.
Faster, like a P3-1000/1400, then I recommend something like a Voodoo3-3000 or 3500.
If you go for that 600 to 800 mhz system, and get a hold of some V2 action, then choose
a Matrox-G400 card. You will be getting Glide support and wonderfull signal quality
from the Matrox card. Else, choose a TNT2/V2-SLI solution instead.
If you choose a TNT2 card, then eighter go for a Pro or an Ultra. Don't buy M64/Vanta's.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 21 of 27, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
buckeye wrote:

Been looking for a higher grade slot 1 cpu but the price is at a premium.

If you run PC133 RAM, an 866mhz CPU is a good choice. You can underclock it to 650mhz at 100mhz FSB, or 430mhz at 66mhz FSB. Here's one for $13 or less if you make a lower offer:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-PIII-SL47S-866 … U-/202050647482

Reply 22 of 27, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just came across this, interesting to see the difference between a high end P2 and high end P3 with various Voodoos...
http://thandor.net/object/25
Though I'd like it if there was a PIII 600 in the middle, and maybe a 1G one as well to get some idea of how it scales.

So the magic formula is fast PIII + voodoo + AWE32 you say? Wow, need to get busy and fund myself a top end Ryzen rig 😁

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 23 of 27, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

my P3 is currently a 750 slot 1 (100MHz FSB), with a P2B (440BX) 1x 256MBPC100, 40GB Samsung from 2006, Voodoo 4 4500 PCI, and AWE64 (the value version), ideally I need a different video card, the Voodoo4 is fine on windows for me, I got the glide games I wanted working, but I have problems with some dos games on lower resolution, and I don't like using a PCI card with the empty AGP slot, but I had bad luck with the AGP cards I acquired for it so far, I run a mix of dos games (including svga games that can max the P3 750 at times) and win9x games, with newest being around 2000, and in those the Voodoo also starts to show clear limitations but so does the P3 750,

this PC is in a strange position I think, but that's probably because I didn't plant it at all, I got it around 2008 as a P2 400 with 2x128MB, Rage AGP, 10GB quantum LCT and no sound, it was an office PC until then and it was retired due to 1 ram module being defective, after I got it I was impressed with how nice the P2B was to use (compared to other boards from that era I had, like PC Chips stuff and a P5A) and started to like the PC, I never had used a P2 before (and I wanted one back then!) and the case was very similar to the P3 I had in 2001, but soon the video card and PSU failed... I already had the 4500, and got the AW64 very cheaply (I didn't look for AWE64, I just got the cheapest ISA soundblaster I could find) and it made the thing a lot more fun, the CPU upgrade happened only I think 3 years ago, because GP2 (DOS game) was not running as fast as I wanted, I also didn't look for a p3750, just the cheapest 100MHz coppermine slot1 I could find, the 40GB HD I got with a P4 I bought very cheaply, and it's much faster then the LCT and quieter and I needed more space...

if I was to plan it would probably look very different, but I would first have to decide what I wanted, focus more on something, like go for decent adlib or EAX, go for early glide games or a newer Nvidia card, early P3 or Tualatin, you kind of have to decide that first I think, because performance is vastly different on the 450 and

but in general I think a V3 AGP would be a lot more interesting, and a good AWE32, I think it's a good path, but depends on what you want to do with it.

Reply 24 of 27, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes the P2B was a classic. One of the boards known to run Tualatins well. I bought a box of "untested" motherboards from somewhere cheap in the early oughts, and had several P2Bs and close relatives in there. Yah, it appeared "untested" meant tested, found faulty and some parts robbed off some, grrrrr ... anyway two of the P2Bs looked in decent shape, and I recapped them annnnnnd nothing. Though remembering this now, I think I was testing them with a dodgy slotket, which turned out not to work on some other working boards, so I am just wondering if I kept those or not... might need to retest.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 25 of 27, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote:

Yes the P2B was a classic. One of the boards known to run Tualatins well. I bought a box of "untested" motherboards from somewhere cheap in the early oughts, and had several P2Bs and close relatives in there. Yah, it appeared "untested" meant tested, found faulty and some parts robbed off some, grrrrr ... anyway two of the P2Bs looked in decent shape, and I recapped them annnnnnd nothing. Though remembering this now, I think I was testing them with a dodgy slotket, which turned out not to work on some other working boards, so I am just wondering if I kept those or not... might need to retest.

oh yes slotket is a complication, I was thinking about going that route, but finding one known to be reliable and compatible with the board for newer CPUs and not just older Celerons proved difficult; also keep in mind that older P2Bs only have a voltage regulator appropriate for 1.80v vcore and higher (and it wont work with a CPU with lower vcore unless you overvolt if for that with a pinmod or something), so you would need a massive overvolt or a slotket with voltage regulators and so on, the one I have I think goes down to 1.50v

Last edited by SPBHM on 2017-10-20, 01:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 26 of 27, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was that the board, there was 5 voltage jumpers and the manual just had the 5 settings... BUT there were multiple undocumented voltages available by using 2 or 3 jumper caps at once, instead of the one?? There use to be a site about P2B mods and tricks, but dunno if it's still around.

Reply 27 of 27, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote:

Was that the board, there was 5 voltage jumpers and the manual just had the 5 settings... BUT there were multiple undocumented voltages available by using 2 or 3 jumper caps at once, instead of the one?? There use to be a site about P2B mods and tricks, but dunno if it's still around.

sadly that's the main option that is missing on the P2B, you can't set a voltage via jumper or bios, it just reads the CPU value, which means you need things like pin mods to change the voltage, and if you use a CPU under 1.8v on the older boards it's simply not going to boot unless you can force 1.80v or higher with a pinmod or other method.

yes there are a few websites still online
http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/p2b_p … pgrade_faq.html
http://tipperlinne.com/p2b-ds.htm