VOGONS

First post, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there,
It's good to see you again, fellows. 😀
It's hot here (when the time comes, you will know what I mean).

So, I'm on this mission (seems an eternal one) to recover and make my hardware collection shining as new and sealed. So I often don't have time to play with
benchmarks, comparisons and get along. Today I'd like some help specifically in relation to the following motherboards: 1 Abit and 1 Soyo motherboard.

1) The Soyo 7VBA133U was plagued with leaking capacitors from underneath. Most of them were bulging and totally dried near "Vcore area"). Sacon is evil !
I'm so impressed cause I've never seen something like that. Awful, just awful! Thanks god Rubycon on Abit AB9 pro is the good. Let's take a look on the recap stats:

• (10) capacitors rating 1500uf 10v were replaced with 1500uf 6.3v (new).
    (6) fault 1000uf 10v were replaced with 1000uf 6.3v (new)
    (2) 1500uf 10v were replaced with 1500uf 16v (used but tested outside).
    (10) Old Sacon remaining (pretty soon I will take them out)
Vcore.JPG
Filename
Vcore.JPG
File size
93.33 KiB
Views
File comment
New capacitors. Part of the plan is to install my Voodoo5 AGP (old dream) and SB32 AWE (This was my first time being exposed to wavetable, thus I hate and love Creative at the same time). Really talking about love. Wavetable will never die on my soul, no matter what.
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I know this is overkill for DOS games and Voodoo5 and AWE32 is kinda pointless combination for glide games. Yeah, that was a complicated era, indeed.
Regardless of this fact, I want my Soyo working 100%. Fortunately, now "everything" is fine and stable.
Not really. Going more in-depth about my problem, I found out a component getting extremely hot. I believe it is feeding the memories.
I can only hold my finger on it for a few seconds (I'm really concerned)
Also, the super I/O (just right next to it) is kind hot, but not that much. They say this super I/O is the very first chip "turning on" in a motherboard.

What's happening here ?
Is this the kind of trouble I may have changing those capacitor rates?
I'm pretty sure this is not true because I have studied about motherboard caps on a reliable source.
Having asked this, 768MB of RAM passing 6 times in MEMTEST is proof of great stability, isn't ?

The component in question (voltage regulator) gets really hot from square one - the moment I turn on the computer:

Regulator.jpg
Filename
Regulator.jpg
File size
100.89 KiB
Views
File license

I am having a bad feeling about this component (presenting 3v instead of 3.3v DIMM needs).
As i said, I have studied about it and chances are the component itself or some CI is acting up. Sure I can take them out, but I don't have defectives
SOYO anymore (I'm such a fool cause I trashed two of them in the past).

Many thanks for being receptive even to dumb question like mine.
Boring...but you still work some potions for me 😀

Help me or I don't know what I will do (Ogden reference here...to be able to write in english I just copy lines from cartoon, games, etc... Sad).
Goddamn, I must stop crying and whining.

2) And there is this Abit AB9 Pro - with a strange train and the moto: "Xpress for the big tracks" in front of the box - I scored some time ago
(orange PCB, heatsinks in blue metal 😈 and Pink BIOS) for peanuts - 9$. This must be from the early days of PCI express. I'm kind happy!

Alongside the Abit, a Conroe (was laying around). They are so cheap these days it hurts me. How could that happen ? 2007 is just around here. Time sure flies.
Never gonna sell my Conroe processor. You just can't make a profit from it and these C2D were so popular. Besides I don't have spares.
Doesn't matter anyway. To hell with money 😳 😳 😳. Just put your garbage in front of my house and I'll make it fly.
The fact is I love bringing back boards from the dead and putting processors to use. So, straight to business:

• The Southbridge is getting kinda hot, but listen, this is true when you compare this Abit Ab9 pro with any other mid range socket 755.
    For example, the ASUS P5N-E SLI (although the hottest chip here is the Northbridge, whereas the Silent-OTES cooling the NorthBridge
    in the ABIT AB9 Pro is as cold as winter (I may say around 40C)).
    You see, I tested the board with MEMTEST (passed 2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 *** 3 times ***). So it's clear now I'm being paranoid about this Conroe build!
    The question is: There is even a pipe on the Northbridge to the PWM and Mosfets. What about the Southbridge burning with only that little heatsink??
    This is way too ilogical.
Abit AB9 pro.JPG
Filename
Abit AB9 pro.JPG
File size
125.02 KiB
Views
File license
  • OK. What the hell is that ? A revision lacking 3 SATA ports ? I don't care about that and I'm satisfied, but the Abit Ab9 Pro comes with 9 SATA ports, not 6.
    Of course I saw some pictures on net which match my motherboard, but I'm still confused! Like, Do I have an Abit Ab9 ?
    -Yes, only six SATA ports and (1) Ethernet 😠 .
    -No, it's written Abit Ab9 pro up in the first memory slot, though it doesn't take a detective to realize the label "Abit AB9" on my motherboard fell off.

Conclusion: Right now I'm not considering myself a Pro. 🙁
    And in consequence I think I made a big mistake: Flashed Abit Ab9 with Abit Ab9 Pro BIOS. Here we go!

Look, I know this is way modern stuff and not retro stuff, but C2D is 10 years old and this qualifies for vintage. Believe it or not, it's an axiom around here. 😎
Many thanks,

Reply 1 of 2, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To summarize my experience and what I gathered so far:

Pros
1) Good performance in benchmarks, on par or sometimes even taking the crown from more expensive motheboards.
Good overclocker. (Hey, I don't remember how I managed to overclock my Conroe in an ASUS. By no means I'm an overclocker.
So could you tell me how to OC an E4400 @2GHZ to 3 GHZ ?
I vaguely remember bumping Vcore to 1.4v to accomplish this basic OC.
I cannot understand CPU/RAM divider for the life of me. Why we need certain multiplier, good RAM and FSB/RAM 1:1 is often desirable. Alrighty, this conversation is just...Ahhhhh...too much info.
(Don't even try!)

2) All main issues are solved with the BIOS 23 Beta. Furthermore, EXXX series (Wolfdales) are now compatible.
Don't know anything about a Q9650 running on this board. Do you ?

3) BIOS:
Pink BIOS. As a side note, I like the orange and blue theme, too. You may say - bad taste, but everyone has an opinion.

Nice defense against clumsy noobs like me:
CPU fan not working = Shutdown
Bad cooler instalation = shutdown

Alarms for temps and voltages working flawless.

Cons
1) IDE conector location (plenty of SATA ports, big deal!)
2) Long boot time loading three SATA controllers

My profile may look simpler to you, but this "profile" talking was the bait. You're so gulible! 😊
I need your help!
Maybe I enhance this thread later with Debug Codes, new info and updated drivers as I just started setting up the OS (Gonna find Intel chipset, Realtek and LAN drivers).

Reply 2 of 2, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Forget all about my "Abit AB9 pro" minor issues. After some fighting, I found out Abit AB9 Pro and Abit AB9 are evenly matched.
The readme.txt from BIOS 22 states this very update serves both motherboards.
So far, so good. I haven't flashed my "ABIT AB9 pro" by mistake. And yes, what I have here is an Abit AB9.

Thermal paste was dried and depleted on the Southbridge. I used silver paste and temperatures seem a lot better.
I managed to overclocked to 3GHZ and now this system is flying higher - noticably different.

Then you think: - Good, this guy is good. He asks for help and answer himself.
Well, not really. I'm on edge and thinking about trashing this motherboard. After setting up the OS,
I encounter the worse: USB ports are all dead, as if they are not even existing. They don't even light up my optical mouse and USB keyboard.
Internal USB connectors (3) don't work either. A PCI USB card is the only way to get USB ports up and running.

My investigation reports a suspect USB port:
V=5v D-=0.2 D+=3v Ground=0
The remaining ports:
V=5v D-=0.2 D+=0.2 Ground=0

Have you ever been through this by any chance?

The BIOS says something about PC longevity:

• AC Power on time = 11000 h
  • Power on cycles = around 4000

The second recent issue: The " Microsoft Bus driver UAA para High Definition Audio" got exclamation on device manager and in consequence
I couldn't install the onboard sound drivers for HD Audio.

I wasn't expecting that. 🙁
It happens on our business. I think this time I just bought a big problem for 8$
I'm afraid I will have to use 2 dedicated cards. 😵