VOGONS

First post, by FXing Serious

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there, I just purchased a Wireless network card for my Windows 98SE but I have trouble getting it to connect to the internet. If someone can help me do this I would really appreciate it. The network card is a USR5416 from US Robotics. The drivers are properly installed.

Reply 3 of 9, by FXing Serious

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found out through the router log that it was an authentication problem. I tried to fiddle with the password type settings: WPA, WPA2 etc. Using Hex or ASCII to no avail. The only fix was opening a Guest Network without password. Can anyone help?

Reply 5 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try WPA vs WPA2
AES vs tkip
Make sure the settings match on both router and client.

For older machines I found it simpler to use a wireless bridge that connects via ethernet to the NIC on the old computer

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No option to make router access allowed only on specific MAC addresses? That way the network will be "open" and only MAC addresses you specified will connect to it.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 9, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows 98 is from an era where WPA was not yet invented (or at least not in popular use) so it's possible that your card/driver only (properly) supports WEP encryption...

Reply 8 of 9, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

For older machines I found it simpler to use a wireless bridge that connects via ethernet to the NIC on the old computer

This is the best option and is very inexpensive as well. You can re-purpose most low powered home routers or purchase new gear for this function for about $30-40 Canadian.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 9 of 9, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:
Try WPA vs WPA2 AES vs tkip Make sure the settings match on both router and client. […]
Show full quote

Try WPA vs WPA2
AES vs tkip
Make sure the settings match on both router and client.

Mm, doing the same thing. Specifically using a Nexx WT3020F with LEDE. So nice not having to hunt down working wifi drivers for older OS:es. Paid about $15 for the router IIRC, you can get them on Ebay, Aliexpress, etc.