VOGONS

First post, by Timpanogos Slim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Scroll mice took over about the same time that optical mice took over. The overlap between the technologies is almost complete.

Yeah, you can click the wheel, but it's not a real middle button if you happen to be in a program that makes heavy use of the middle button, it's annoying.

Up to a few years ago HP sold the DY651A 3 button optical mouse without scroll wheel for just $13 but good luck finding one today. Appears to have been USB-only.

So where we land, turns out, is the Contour Perfit.

Contour Design is out of business. But the mice are on eBay and not really sought after so they are cheap. I bought a pair for less than $20 combined (from two different sellers).

They specialized in ergo weirdness. The Perfit is available in left and right handed, sizes S, M, L and XL in right handed and S, M, L in left handed. With or without scroll wheel, on the side, operated by your thumb. All of them have a back/forward toggle for your thumb.

Allegedly these are 1200dpi optical mice. I have played with mine just a bit, and they seem to be very good.

I bought size "L". And if you saw one on a desk, you'd say "Wow, that is a large mouse". I have trouble finding gloves that fit me. I think if i found some XL size, i would be able to rest my whole hand on them.

Neither of them came with a USB-F to PS2-M adapter, but i dug out an old Microsoft branded (green) adapter, and it works fine with that, even plugged into an old SGI Indigo2.