pci-x speed

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 28, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

to me, they are the same thing. it's kinda like the difference between pci-e generations.

There are some under the hood not so subtle changes to PCI-X versus PCI. The biggest is that PCI-X supports MSI on a per device level (if you're wondering why if you have multiple PCI devices one would affect there other, that's usually the answer). This is especially true for network devices that send an interrupt every time the packet buffer is full (or if you're a dumb admin set it on a per packet level).

The differences between PCI-Express generations is encoding and signaling differences, to my knowledge.

Reply 21 of 28, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

EDIT: I would also like to note that this is a way to give me solace for paying over 100 bucks for an old VLB board on E-Bay, even though I do love it.

May I ask which one?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 22 of 28, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
https://i.imgflip.com/1dxet4.jpg […]
Show full quote
Ampera wrote:

PCI-X is sort of like an even less successful VLB. It's long, not all that practical, has strange issues with it, and at the end of the day was replaced by a better standard that stuck firm.

1dxet4.jpg

pci x was a staple of the server market for a long time. It came into play at the mid to alt p3 era. like 1998. And was in EVERY server board made until the core2duo era (771). It was only then replaced by pci-e. but it was still available on boards at late as socket 1366. like this badass: http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboar … IPMI=O&LRDIMM=Y

it had a very solid run spanning 7 cpu sockets.

My Dell T5500 has one, just installed an older dual gigabit intel ethernet card, which was handy to keep my PCIe slots free. It's a DDR3 socket 1366 machine. now i'm curious to find out what version of the slot and card are now. also my dual socket 771 supermicro board has a PCI-X

EDIT: well if version number is any indicator of speed and not just protocol changes then the dell T5500 is a PCI-X 2.0 but, the intel 82546EB has no listed specs on which PCI-X it is other than ti's from 2002.

Reply 23 of 28, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cdoublejj wrote:

My Dell T5500 has one, just installed an older dual gigabit intel ethernet card, which was handy to keep my PCIe slots free. It's a DDR3 socket 1366 machine. now i'm curious to find out what version of the slot and card are now. also my dual socket 771 supermicro board has a PCI-X

EDIT: well if version number is any indicator of speed and not just protocol changes then the dell T5500 is a PCI-X 2.0 but, the intel 82546EB has no listed specs on which PCI-X it is other than ti's from 2002.

Dell says T5500's PCI-X slot operates at 100MHz, but I couldn't find any info on revision so far. Intel says 82546EB supports PCI-X 1.0a with 133MHz speed.

Reply 24 of 28, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

EDIT: I would also like to note that this is a way to give me solace for paying over 100 bucks for an old VLB board on E-Bay, even though I do love it.

May I ask which one?

It actually IMO was a steal. It's an EXP-4045 Socket 3 motherboard supporting basically any 486 that does not need an FSB higher than 40Mhz. It has 3 VLB ontop of 7 16-bit ISA slots. It came with 32MB of RAM in 1 72-pin SIMM, an Am486-DX4-100-SV8B that was already overclocked to 120mhz when I got it (it was advertised as such), as well as 256k of L2 cache. I am pretty sure I paid around 100ish for it, direct from Russia. Seeing as some people on E-Bay think that their socket 1 crapshoot that looks like it was pulled out of a lake is worth hundreds, this is a damn good steal. It's actually a really nice board, and I even think the guy replaced the Ni-Cad battery as it's working perfectly fine ATM. It was looked after very well, and was in an almost brand new condition. It's the centerpiece of my 486 build, the details of which you can find by sifting through my topics.

Reply 25 of 28, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are PCI-X to PCIe x4 Adapters 😳

i think its faster then PCIe x1 at least.

I Own a Primergy TX150 S3, P4 3,2Ghz with U320 and PCI-X and PCIe x1.
But did not test yet one of this things..
i use a PCIe x1 card.
Maybe if i get my hands on a X4 Adapter.. i would like to try it.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 26 of 28, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
matze79 wrote:

There are PCI-X to PCIe x4 Adapters 😳

i think its faster then PCIe x1 at least.

Depends what generation. PCI 64 bit / 66 mhz is about twice as fast as single lane PCIe 1.0 but 40% slower than single lane PCIe 3.0.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 28 of 28, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ampera wrote:

The fastest PCI-X variant ever produced (533mhz) is actually about as fast as a full 16x PCI-E slot.

Yes, comparing to Gen 1.0 PCIe.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder