VOGONS

First post, by anamyd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, first post here 😀

I recently acquired a workstation PC from a friend of a friend who had been allowed to take it home from his job at a well-known company over 10 years ago and had finally decided to part with it. When i got it, it had the following specs, having already had some upgrades here and there over the years:

2 feet (24 inches) tall white full size ATX tower case (1997)
235-250w (something like that) Power Man PSU (1997)
Tyan Thunder 2 S1696D Dual Slot 1 440LX motherboard with AMIBIOS (1997)
Dual 333MHz “Deschutes” Intel Pentium II Slot 1 CPUs with “passive-style” Intel heatsinks (1998)
Original “Cooltium” fans on the Intel heatsinks (1998)
512MB (4x 128MB) of Micron PC100 SDRAM (1999)
Matrox G400 32MB AGP graphics card (1999)
PCI slot external SCSI connector (all internal non-floppy drives are IDE)
PCI “Ethernet card” (sorry for not being specific with that)
Promise Ultra100 PCI IDE controller
Samsung 3.5” 1.44MB floppy disk drive (2001, for some reason?!)
Iomega IDE ZIP250 drive (2000)
AOpen 52x CD-ROM drive (2000)
LiteOn CD-RW drive (May 2002)
IBM Deskstar 46.1GB, Maxtor 80GB and Maxtor 120GB hard drives (dated 2001-2005 IIRC)
Grey floppy, IDE and SCSI cables

I completely disassembled the system, cleaned all of the parts, put the system back together, replacing the PSU with an internally checked and cleaned out Cooler Master RS-500-PSAP-J3 (circa 2009) because I didn’t feel comfortable using the original 20-year-old PSU, and the system POSTed and went into the BIOS setup fine (apart from complaining that the CMOS battery needs replacing, which I will do) but I still haven’t installed any operating systems yet because the POST screen states “Pentium II, 333MHz. 524288KB OK” when from what I read with the dual CPUs it should state “Pentium II x2, 333MHz. 524288KB OK”. Could anyone who knows what the problem is please tell me...? I’m worrying that it’s the PSU not having a strong enough rail for whatever voltage the CPUs run at (something I read). If it is that, could anyone recommend a suitable PSU...? I heard AOpen ones were good but the one from my P4 had coatings / insulation flaking off a coil and a resistor respectively so didn’t feel comfortable trying that.

By the way I’ve since made my own upgrades to the system so its current spec is:

2 feet (24 inches) tall white full size ATX tower case (1997)
***Cooler Master RS-500-PSAP-J3 ~450w PSU (circa 2009)***
Tyan Thunder 2 S1696D Dual Slot 1 440LX motherboard with AMIBIOS (1997)
Dual 333MHz “Deschutes” Intel Pentium II Slot 1 CPUs with “passive-style” Intel heatsinks (1998)
***Gelid Solutions Silent 5 CPU fans on the Intel heatsinks (2017)***
512MB (4x 128MB) of Micron PC100 SDRAM (1999)
Matrox G400 32MB AGP graphics card (1999)
***Dual 12MB 3DFX Voodoo2 PCI 3D accelerators in SLI (1998)***
PCI slot external SCSI connector (all internal non-floppy drives are IDE)
PCI “Ethernet card” (sorry once again for not being specific with that)
Promise Ultra100 PCI IDE controller
***Creative Sound Blaster AWE32 CT2760 ISA sound card (1994)***
Samsung 3.5” 1.44MB floppy disk drive (2001, for some still-unknown reason?!)
Iomega IDE ZIP250 drive (2000)
***Relisys 16x DVD-ROM drive (2002)***
***LG CD-RW drive with more “period correct” speed ratings than the LiteOn (January 2002)***
(OK so more of a downgrade but single 120GB Maxtor hard drive (2005?) - others went into my single PII and P4)
Grey floppy, IDE and SCSI cables
***Arctic Cooling F8 Silent rear exhaust fan (2016) - yeah... my excuse is, the screw holes were on the vent 😜***

I plan on partitioning the hard drive and finally installing the operating systems - Windows 95 OSR2.5, Windows NT 4.0 SP6a, and Windows 98SE, for (respectively) “real” games that don’t run on NT 4.0 (e.g. the first few of the Tomb Raider sequels), ones that do (a surprising amount, including Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Quake II and Quake III, the latter one of which with the SMP command typed will fully utilise both CPUs, right?), and those infamous “casual” games that somehow demand more CPU power as well as not running on 95. Yes, I’m guilty of having popped some caps, but PC is how I played them growing up and my P4 would be overkill for them, 🤣...

In fact, aside from putting 32(28)MB of RAM in my AWE32, I’m thinking of doing a CPU upgrade (once we know for definite why only 1 of the 2 333MHz Pentium IIs is being detected). After reading up on it, it seems that a couple of 533MHz “Mendocino” Intel Celeron “non-A” Socket 370 CPUs (66MHz FSB, 128KB cache) on a couple of Slockets would be the best-performing option compatible with my 440LX-based dual Slot 1 board. Does this sound right...? I read that with 66MHz FSB-only boards such as ones that are 440LX-based, the faster to fastest clocked 66MHz FSB Celerons (433MHz straight onto Slot 1 or 466-533MHz on Slockets) do significantly (relatively speaking) outperform the fastest-clocked 66MHz FSB Pentium IIs (333MHz) despite being “lower end” CPUs, due to the combination of higher clock speed and the lesser amount of cache running at full speed rather than half speed. I also understand that the “non-A” Celeron 533s also happen to be the last Celerons to support SMP operation.

Help with both my CPU detection issue and my CPU upgrade plan would be much appreciated! Thanks 😀

EDIT: By the way, I already have two Slockets - one is an ABIT SlotKet !!! and one is a generic / no-brand one. Would it be possible to use both of these even though they’re not identical ones...?

Last edited by anamyd on 2017-10-16, 22:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 17, by anamyd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the suggestion, will put a temporary XP install on and look in the XP Task Manager when I have the chance and report back 😀 I was thinking to be honest, maybe some revisions or BIOS versions of the Tyan S1696D state 2 CPUs at POST while others don’t...

Reply 3 of 17, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recently had a Slot 1 CPU that I thought was dead. As a last ditch effort I decided to try cleaning the contacts one more time.

It came to life.

In addition to cleaning the CPU contacts, you may need to clean the motherboard slot contacts. A folded up piece of printer paper sized to fit works great for getting off oxidation in slots.

The different slotkets should be OK as long as the motherboard likes them.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 17, by anamyd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah thanks for that! Will try that when I have a chance if following emosun’s suggestion reveals that it really is a case of only one of the CPUs working. Thanks for the info on the slockets too. Will let you guys know how I get on after I get round to it 😀 By the way cyclone3d, am I right with the “non-A” Celeron 533s? About two dozen of them in stock with Electromyne so getting a couple shouldn’t be a problem.

Reply 5 of 17, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
anamyd wrote:

Ah thanks for that! Will try that when I have a chance if following emosun’s suggestion reveals that it really is a case of only one of the CPUs working. Thanks for the info on the slockets too. Will let you guys know how I get on after I get round to it 😀 By the way cyclone3d, am I right with the “non-A” Celeron 533s? About two dozen of them in stock with Electromyne so getting a couple shouldn’t be a problem.

The Celeron 533 will be much faster in pretty much everything when compared to the PII 333.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 17, by anamyd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just what I’m looking for then 😀 As long as I’m right in that they’re the last ones to work on 440LX and also in SMP... My problem is finding another “decent” slocket, ideally another ABIT SlotKet !!!. I’ve already set the 3 sets of jumpers on my ABIT SlotKet !!! to tell it that I’ll be using a 66MHz FSB, 2.0V, Celeron. On my “no-name” 370SPD however, that only has two sets of jumpers and I can only tell it to “auto-detect host frequency 66/100MHz” on one jumper (the “over-clock selector”, the other setting on that being “Force the host frequency running in 100MHz for over-clock) but then on the other jumper which is for the “CPU host clock” that can only be set to 100MHz or 133MHz...?! CPU type and voltage are apparently automatically selected... Any ideas...? Thanks

Reply 7 of 17, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

why in the back of my mind am i screaming

"dual 370 celerons in an old slot 1 board aren't going to work at all"

in fact , I havent seen many dual native 370 celeron machines i have to admit.

Reply 9 of 17, by anamyd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

emosun - I’ve done my research and it seems that the “non-A” 533s are the last to support both 440LX and SMP 😀 Anyone know where I can get a second ABIT SlotKet !!!?

cdoublejj - great suggestion, thanks 😀 It looks like I’ve got a few things to try when I get round to it.

Reply 10 of 17, by anamyd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just a little update... Still haven’t got round to the CPU stuff yet, as things are a bit all over the place at the moment 😜 But out of curiosity I did swap out one of the 4 128MB RAM sticks with 1 of 3 256MB ones I had lying around, and sure enough... 640MB of RAM detected! So then I swapped out 2 more... 896MB of RAM detected!!! I know this sounds like overkill but I can see it being useful for loading (some) modern web pages. I’m having another issue by the way which is with the CMOS - the battery was dead so I replaced it, and after doing so, although it has been keeping the settings which it obviously didn’t do with the previous (dead) battery, the date had drifted a few days back after not powering on the system for roughly a week, and of course the time was wrong. Anyone know what could be causing this...?

Reply 11 of 17, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pics! we want pics!
I would do the WinXP install first to check how may CPU's your getting.
If you do only get 1, try swapping the CPU's, I've had a CPU die on me and I was blaming windows, motherboard, whatever.

For your duel boot, always install oldest to newest but keep NT versions last, as It'll override any dos/Win9x boot files.
But why 95 AND 98?

Win2k is much more game friendly then NT4 and will run fine on P2, but yeh you'll still want 9x for the occasional game.

My Duel BX based system also looses time, I assumed its just the battery...maybe not?

Reply 12 of 17, by Elbereth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently got my hands on a dual p2 Tyan 1682D Tahoe with 512MB of EDO ram and a pair of P2-300mhz (passive).

If you can, try to google up a manual (Tyan's FTP server was down for a few weeks when I tried to find mine). In the case of the S1682D, it can not only run with just a single CPU (better windows stability) but it can also run pentium pro CPUs on a sloket if you can find them.

Reply 14 of 17, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nah event NT4 workstation supports 2 CPU's natively, but you do have to specify Multi CPU at the below screen which loads the correct HAL
image_thumb7.png

Win2k and above are better at working this out for themselves, which is why XP is a good test OS

Reply 15 of 17, by anamyd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the help guys 😀 Sorry I’ve been so quiet, in the middle of moving house 😜 Will get some pics when I get round to it. Looks like I’ve got a few things to try! 95 and 98 because I grew up with both and prefer the “feel” of 95 for running stuff that doesn’t require 98. 2000 rather than NT4 for multi CPU stuff, would I actually benefit from it...? I don’t want to run too “new” in want of a better word of an OS on each of my retro systems; I did run XP on my “old” (got rid of in 2006) Pentium II 333 with 512MB of RAM and a Riva TNT2 Ultra in the early to mid 2000s but that’s because it was my daily use until 2004! My Pentium II 233 (333 once the dual CPU system is upgraded to the Celeron 533s) / 64MB / Trio64V2/DX / Voodoo1 build will run DOS 6.22 / Windows 3.1 and Windows 95, my Athlon XP 1600+ / 1GB / GeForce 3 Ti/200 build will run Windows 98SE and Me (awaiting why? again haha), and my Pentium 4 Northwood 2.6GHz / 1.5GB / GeForce 6800 Ultra build will run 98SE, 2000 and XP.

Reply 16 of 17, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The first thing I would do is try to put it completely back to stock (including the old power supply) and see if it shows the dual cpus. If it does, then that's the start for you to modify it.

And I'd caution using in excess of 512mb ram on 95 or 98se. I have an amd 1.4/5/something system which I used for years that had serious problems when it had more than 512mb ram. Unlike NT/2k/xp, the dos based windows versions just didn't like getting north of 128/256mb in my experience.

Reply 17 of 17, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

disturbing lack of pictures...

I'd stay away from NT4. It is not for the uninitiated. 2000 is what I did on my dualie.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.