VOGONS

First post, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i was looking at this board

Asus VL/I-486SV2G
the price is about 30 dollars

but when i read about it , it only supports 5v cpus, and looking at the pics it is missing voltage regulators on the PCB, and also some chips below and next to the voltage regulator area

so my question is, im sure people in this forum got this board already, or maybe the GX4 version (gx4 has the regulators and the missing stuff)
can it be modded for 5volt support?

was anyone able to buy parts that are needed ?
is it really worth it? knowing that i only put a small amount of cpus, and cannot put an intel dx4 100 or an amd 133 cpu?

dddd.jpg

Reply 1 of 6, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That board is pretty much the best you can get if you want a VLB build. For $30 I wouldn't hesitate in getting it.

Yes, it can be converted to GX4 by adding a few components, see this thread:

ASUS VL/I-486SV2 to GX4 conversion + Am5x86 support on Rev 1.7

If you do the conversion, remember to upgrade to the latest BIOS in order to get stuff such as full 5x86 support, dual IDE controllers and Y2K.

Reply 2 of 6, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, the board in the picture looks like the exact same revision that majord worked with, too.

5V is the existing original supply, so what you mean to add are missing options in the 3.3-3.6V range for later 486's.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 3 of 6, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ok so i freaked out after reading your comment and i bought the board for $30. I didn´t know it was a good deal, because of the 5volt thing, at least they give me the board with that cpu included for the same price.

Its that mod from your link or maybe i can find one of these that go below the cpu that i saw on this forum some time ago, and leave the motherboard untouched:
Re: Is this a voltage regulator?

Now regarding the mod conversion tutorial. The modifications are very straightforward but:

1) They dont give you a link for the hacked/modified bios bin
2) Even if you had the bios you would have some kind of external hardware to program the bios with the bin.
3) There is a very tiny smd resistor that you will need to change ,depending if you want 3.45v or 3.3v:

3.43v
R35: 120 ohm 3.43v: (default value) R34: 210 ohm

3.3v:
R35: 120 ohm 3.43v: (default value) R34: 200ohm

V out = 1.25 *(1+ R34/R35)

Reply 4 of 6, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cga.8086 wrote:

1) They dont give you a link for the hacked/modified bios bin

You don't need a modded BIOS, the latest official one has everything you need, I think it is in vogonsdrivers.com. If not, let me know and I can send it to you.

Cga.8086 wrote:

2) Even if you had the bios you would have some kind of external hardware to program the bios with the bin.

Correct. You need an EPROM programmer that works with 27C512 chips (most of them do).

Cga.8086 wrote:

3) There is a very tiny smd resistor that you will need to change ,depending if you want 3.45v or 3.3v:

Yeah, I don't know how difficult it can be to change that one, I guess it depends on your soldering skill.

As you have mentioned, you can always use a CPU with built-in voltage regulator (I use a DX4-100 overdrive with that board since I also have the non-X4 version).

Reply 6 of 6, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i just bought it and have it with me 😀)
i will test it tonight witht the cirix cpu it included

i dont have any vesa videocard but it is something i considering on buying in the near future; vesa videocards are unknown here. i have never seen one. probably import it. We mostly had ISA cards...trident.

i saw the vesa videocards prices on ebay and they are crazy expensive cards!