VOGONS

Reply 20 of 29, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, here we go - after some experimenting without any meaningful results, I had a second look at the manual (downloaded from this thread) to think of possible undocumented jumper combinations, and came across this:

jumpers.jpg
Filename
jumpers.jpg
File size
54.94 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

It seemns @kanecvr was nice enough to add the jumper settings he found to the manual attached to this page!

If I would have taken the time to read his pots, I would have figured it out earlier. First setting in the pic witch I plucked from the LUCKY STAR 5v-1a Manual.pdf file in the first post clearly shows the "8mhz" jumper settings.

I tried the 8mhz setting myself but the PC would not post, so I read all of OP's posts. Turns out OP was using a pentium MMX, while I'm using a k6-2. I swapped my k6-2 for a 200Mhz pentium MMX and voila! When posting, bios says the CPU is a " " at 8MHz. Everything is SLOW!!! SOOOO SLOW! XT slow!

I'll run some benchmarks and post some pics tomorrow, right now I gotta prep for work.

Reply 21 of 29, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Socket3 wrote on 2022-05-01, 17:17:
Ok, here we go - after some experimenting without any meaningful results, I had a second look at the manual (downloaded from thi […]
Show full quote

Ok, here we go - after some experimenting without any meaningful results, I had a second look at the manual (downloaded from this thread) to think of possible undocumented jumper combinations, and came across this:

jumpers.jpg

It seemns @kanecvr was nice enough to add the jumper settings he found to the manual attached to this page!

If I would have taken the time to read his pots, I would have figured it out earlier. First setting in the pic witch I plucked from the LUCKY STAR 5v-1a Manual.pdf file in the first post clearly shows the "8mhz" jumper settings.

I tried the 8mhz setting myself but the PC would not post, so I read all of OP's posts. Turns out OP was using a pentium MMX, while I'm using a k6-2. I swapped my k6-2 for a 200Mhz pentium MMX and voila! When posting, bios says the CPU is a " " at 8MHz. Everything is SLOW!!! SOOOO SLOW! XT slow!

I'll run some benchmarks and post some pics tomorrow, right now I gotta prep for work.

He-he… Is it same jumpers configuration for 8MHz and 60MHz FSB? Or what the difference?

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 22 of 29, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm from the data sheet everything in jumpers matches with 1-2 =0, 2-3 =1. Except it should be 0-1-1 for Ref/2 (Ref is the 14.3Mhz xtal) for ~8Mhz like this

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    Filename
    Image2.jpg
    File size
    15.57 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • jumpers.jpg
    Filename
    jumpers.jpg
    File size
    33.95 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 23 of 29, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2022-05-01, 18:22:

Hmm from the data sheet everything in jumpers matches with 1-2 =0, 2-3 =1. Except it should be 0-1-1 for Ref/2 (Ref is the 14.3Mhz xtal) for ~8Mhz like this

Goot catch.

Can someone post a pic of the clock gen? And confirm that the datasheet posted earlier is correct? I’m assuming it is, just want to verify. I’m thinking of trying to order some of these for a experiment

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 24 of 29, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sure ! See this one of the 5V-1A where it is very readable: https://www.ultimateretro.net/motherboard/ima … 11730668072.jpg
also found a picture of the 5V-2 which has ICS9169CJ-231 clock which does NOT have the REF/2 setting, instead it has two 75Mhz settings
https://pdf1.alldatasheet.net/datasheet-pdf/v … S9169C-231.html

added: the ICS9169C-23 (not 231 or -271) also has the REF/2 like -27 does....

Attachments

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 25 of 29, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Excellent! Thank you!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 26 of 29, by Jammers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a couple of questions:

My Pentium MMX 233 is currently set a 2.0Vcore. If I change the FSB or multiplier do I need to change the Vcore?

Has anybody tiried the USB headers. Is it similar to USB2.0 on a modern board, (1)5V(2)D-(3)D+(4)GND?

The P233 is also set at 3.5x multiplier. Do I need a CPU without the 3.5x to get to 1.5x?

Thanks

Reply 27 of 29, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pentium mmx and tillamook don’t support 1.5x (at least through hardware)

Well binned pentium mmx p55c chips will often run at 2.0v but most of them are 2.45v-2.8v

The tillamook is 2.0v (1.9v)

Do you have a tillamook? If so, good find. You can set those to 4x 100mhz usually.

If you don’t know, post a pic of the back of the chip

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 28 of 29, by Volga163

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jammers wrote on 2022-09-15, 16:50:

Has anybody tiried the USB headers. Is it similar to USB2.0 on a modern board, (1)5V(2)D-(3)D+(4)GND?

Hey! I've got the exact same motherboard. What I can say about the USB header there - it's unusable on my motherboard because the ground pin on the header is not connected to the GND line (when I try to measure the voltage between +5V and GND pins, I've got 0V. But, when I decided to measure the voltage between +5V pin on the USB header and a ground pin on the LPT header - voila, the voltmeter showed me almost perfect 5 volts. I've got no idea was this intentional or just a failure on production lines. The official manual that I could find online didn't say anything about USB headers, just a little note that CN5 and CN6 are used for USB connection.

Reply 29 of 29, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am getting close to getting mine out for a play around and possible build. I noticed that for a different motherboard with a similar clock chip, the ref/2 setting gives ref/4 for floppy and USB instead of their expected fixed frequencies. Is that the case here, is onboard floppy unusable in slomo?

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.