VOGONS

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have an EVGA GeForce 8600 GTS I have running in a PC I use for everyday monitoring / support of my home network / VMWare enviornment / etc.. The card is overheating and taking the computer down with it to a point where the PC is on, but nothing is happening with it until I power it off and back on.

I took the stock fan / cooler off and cleaned / added new thermal paste to the chip, but once back in the PC, the card was getting REALLY hot to the touch, so I shut it down again.

Anything I can do to get this working properly or am I just SOL and the card is going bad?

Reply 1 of 4, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Smack2k wrote:

I took the stock fan / cooler off and cleaned / added new thermal paste to the chip, but once back in the PC, the card was getting REALLY hot to the touch, so I shut it down again.

touching the heatsink with your finger isn't an accurate temperature measurement stick with the sensor readings only.

you can use somthing like speedfan to manually adjust the gpu's fan speed. or just hardwire the fan to 12v , it'll be loud but it'll be cool

Reply 2 of 4, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just replace the stock cooler with something decent like a zalman vf900 (period correct but not common anymore) or upgrade to something modern. A lot of these cards failed even when they were new and were a bit of a rip off.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 4 of 4, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would only trust touching my finger to the heatsink to confirm that is having contact because if the gpu is hot and the heatsink isnt even warm that could indicate bad heat transfer