VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recently bought a brand new old stock AT case and throught it came with its own PSU. Upon opening it up I found that the PSU inside was actually, well, just a PSU case with the cable to the case switch attached and a fan inside - no board, components etc. I don't know if that was the norm back in the days, but regardless, I went out and bought myself two new old stock AT PSUs:

gallery_60983_11505_112730.jpg

No AT switch on the end of the black cable, but four connectors that are apparently supposed to connect to the switch on the case.. But the switch on my case appears to be soldered to the cable from the empty motherboard, it looks like this:

at_switch.jpg

What to do here? Remove the switch and cable from the empty PSU and replace the one in here with that? Or detach the case switch from the empty psu's cable and solder the connectors on this one to the switch somehow?

Yes, I never did this in an AT case before, I thought it would have been a lot more straightforward 😒

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2 of 4, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:

Are there spade lugs underneath that plastic shroud?

I did not think to look, to me it seemed they were soldered on at the time. I will check tonight. I hope there are and this is a pretty stupid question 😊

Reply 3 of 4, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could always get a switch with the spade connectors, they are easy to find and you can use it with your power supply without soldering anything (although you would probably need to transplant the mounting bracket to your new switch).

Reply 4 of 4, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I cut open the heatshrunk plastic cover on the switxh and it did have the spade lugs though two of them were wired to the psu husk that shipped with the case..

I cut the cables off and trimmed the solder off the lugs with a modeling knife, slipped the connectors on and nicely taped everything in place with electric tape (white though so it looks a bir shitty.. oh well) so it looks like that issue is resolved for now.

Thanks to you both 😀