Looking for cardbus/Pcmcia driver for DOS and windows 3.1

Discussion about old PC hardware.

Looking for cardbus/Pcmcia driver for DOS and windows 3.1

Postby MichaelWeaser » 2017-10-18 @ 13:23

I have an old windows 3.1 compatible laptop that I can't seem to find the cardbus/pcmcia driver for it. I know its windows 3.1 compatible but it did originally did come with windows 9x, So I have them drivers for it, but not windows 3.1. The device uses a Ricoh cardbus controller, and the windows 9x driver says it's compatible with these devices :


RL5C476 (Dual Slot)
RC/RL/RT5C475 (Single Slot)
RL/RB5C478 (Dual Slot)
RL5C466 (Dual Slot)
RL5C465 (Single Slot)

and I know mine is a single slot version, and the model of the controller on the laptop is RL5C475A

In the documentation for it , it does say it is windows 3.1 compatible, but just can't find the drivers for the ricoh controller, since it only has drivers for the OS it came with. If anyone can help that would be great.
MichaelWeaser
Newbie
 
Posts: 20
Joined: 2017-10-18 @ 13:15

Re: Looking for cardbus/Pcmcia driver for DOS and windows 3.1

Postby cyclone3d » 2017-10-18 @ 14:52

From what I am finding, you need the PCCARD DOS services for it and Windows 3.1 should just work with it. Of course you will have to have the Windows 3.1 drivers for whatever card you are going to use.

What is the brand/model of the laptop?
User avatar
cyclone3d
Oldbie
 
Posts: 819
Joined: 2015-4-08 @ 06:06
Location: Huntsville, AL USA

Re: Looking for cardbus/Pcmcia driver for DOS and windows 3.1

Postby MichaelWeaser » 2017-10-18 @ 16:23

cyclone3d wrote:From what I am finding, you need the PCCARD DOS services for it and Windows 3.1 should just work with it. Of course you will have to have the Windows 3.1 drivers for whatever card you are going to use.

What is the brand/model of the laptop?


The laptop basically has no brand or model, many different computer companies branded the laptop as many names, its one of those taiwanese no brand laptops, that companies will brand, its made by a company called uniwill, and its model number is 280m, companies who have branded it have named it NEC ready 120lt, systemax 280m, and also as well the uniwill 280m, and you can basically find nothing about it. I was doing a little bit of googling, and I have come up with that most pcmcia slots work with a generic driver for DOS or windows 3x , I use to have an older IBM thinkpad at one point, I remember it used a systemsoft driver for DOS / windows 3.x , which I googled it's a generic driver. If this is true, I don't know what driver to use or anything.
MichaelWeaser
Newbie
 
Posts: 20
Joined: 2017-10-18 @ 13:15

Re: Looking for cardbus/Pcmcia driver for DOS and windows 3.1

Postby cyclone3d » 2017-10-18 @ 16:37

Try SystemSoft Cardsoft 3.1.

It is no longer supported, but should work with your controller as it was the pretty much universal software for those old laptops.

Look for Cardsoft.zip here (link goes to driverguide.com)
http://wiki.freedos.org/wiki/index.php/Networking_FreeDOS_-_Introduction
User avatar
cyclone3d
Oldbie
 
Posts: 819
Joined: 2015-4-08 @ 06:06
Location: Huntsville, AL USA

Re: Looking for cardbus/Pcmcia driver for DOS and windows 3.1

Postby IsoMacintosh » 2017-10-18 @ 17:19

I hope OP won't mind if i borrow this thread since i have a similar question.
cyclone3d wrote:Try SystemSoft Cardsoft 3.1.

Any idea if this would allow me to use a pcmcia to pci card with a Ricoh R5C485 chipset on dos?
IsoMacintosh
Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 2017-10-18 @ 17:11

Re: Looking for cardbus/Pcmcia driver for DOS and windows 3.1

Postby derSammler » 2017-10-18 @ 17:28

I have two versions of the Phoenix Card Manager, which supports various Ricoh chips. No idea if it supports the R5C485 as well.
derSammler
Member
 
Posts: 314
Joined: 2017-4-14 @ 11:30
Location: Germany

Re: Looking for cardbus/Pcmcia driver for DOS and windows 3.1

Postby IsoMacintosh » 2017-10-18 @ 18:35

Ended up ordering an pci card with Ricoh R5C475 instead since i guess older chipset is better chances for dos compatibility.
As for OP the thinkpad pc card driver could be worth a shot since those used ricoh chipsets also.
https://support.lenovo.com/fi/en/downloads/migr-4kk4xu
IsoMacintosh
Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 2017-10-18 @ 17:11

Re: Looking for cardbus/Pcmcia driver for DOS and windows 3.1

Postby MichaelWeaser » 2017-10-18 @ 23:43

IsoMacintosh wrote:Ended up ordering an pci card with Ricoh R5C475 instead since i guess older chipset is better chances for dos compatibility.
As for OP the thinkpad pc card driver could be worth a shot since those used ricoh chipsets also.
https://support.lenovo.com/fi/en/downloads/migr-4kk4xu


yes if it's on PCI, it should work, since most PCMCIA card slots are on a PCI bus on the laptop anyway, and most generic drivers drivers like the systemsoft cardsoft should work, and that card that you got , is a version that I have in the laptop that I am talking about. I suspect if the Ricoh pcmcia works with windows 9x, it should work with DOS and Windows 3.1x

you might be interested in this link, that shows exactly what PCMCIA controller are in IBM thinkpad models, the models that use Ricoh seem to be older versions of the hardware. http://ps-2.kev009.com/pcpartnerinfo/ctstips/caba.htm
MichaelWeaser
Newbie
 
Posts: 20
Joined: 2017-10-18 @ 13:15

Re: Looking for cardbus/Pcmcia driver for DOS and windows 3.1

Postby MichaelWeaser » 2017-10-18 @ 23:49

derSammler wrote:I have two versions of the Phoenix Card Manager, which supports various Ricoh chips. No idea if it supports the R5C485 as well.


You should somehow get me download for that, and see if that will work or not, But I still need to find me a pcmcia card yet still.
MichaelWeaser
Newbie
 
Posts: 20
Joined: 2017-10-18 @ 13:15

Re: Looking for cardbus/Pcmcia driver for DOS and windows 3.1

Postby derSammler » 2017-10-19 @ 06:54

Drop me a PM with your email address. :)
derSammler
Member
 
Posts: 314
Joined: 2017-4-14 @ 11:30
Location: Germany

Re: Looking for cardbus/Pcmcia driver for DOS and windows 3.1

Postby MichaelWeaser » 2017-10-19 @ 13:51

derSammler wrote:Drop me a PM with your email address. :)


You should have a message, sent a few minutes ago.
MichaelWeaser
Newbie
 
Posts: 20
Joined: 2017-10-18 @ 13:15

Re: Looking for cardbus/Pcmcia driver for DOS and windows 3.1

Postby yawetaG » 2017-10-19 @ 17:49

MichaelWeaser wrote:
IsoMacintosh wrote:Ended up ordering an pci card with Ricoh R5C475 instead since i guess older chipset is better chances for dos compatibility.
As for OP the thinkpad pc card driver could be worth a shot since those used ricoh chipsets also.
https://support.lenovo.com/fi/en/downloads/migr-4kk4xu


yes if it's on PCI, it should work, since most PCMCIA card slots are on a PCI bus on the laptop anyway, and most generic drivers drivers like the systemsoft cardsoft should work, and that card that you got , is a version that I have in the laptop that I am talking about. I suspect if the Ricoh pcmcia works with windows 9x, it should work with DOS and Windows 3.1x

you might be interested in this link, that shows exactly what PCMCIA controller are in IBM thinkpad models, the models that use Ricoh seem to be older versions of the hardware. http://ps-2.kev009.com/pcpartnerinfo/ctstips/caba.htm


Apparently, some older PCMCIA cards won't work properly in PCI-based PCMCIA-adapter cards due to an issue with DMA assignment. Furthermore, some modern PCMCIA PCI cards use slimmed down chipsets that do not support all kinds of PCMCIA cards (i.e. they are limited to LAN and modem PCMCIA cards).
yawetaG
Oldbie
 
Posts: 746
Joined: 2016-6-14 @ 14:36
Location: Netherlands

Re: Looking for cardbus/Pcmcia driver for DOS and windows 3.1

Postby oeuvre » 2017-10-20 @ 13:26

Just FYI if you do get PCMCIA working under MS-DOS the drivers will eat up your conventional and mine don't like being loaded high so it'd be advised to just load them only when you need them
IBM ThinkPad 770
HP EliteBook 820 G2
i7 6700K, 32GB, NVIDIA GTX770, 256GB M.2 SSD + HD, Windows 10
Image
User avatar
oeuvre
Oldbie
 
Posts: 763
Joined: 2015-3-31 @ 13:31
Location: USA

Re: Looking for cardbus/Pcmcia driver for DOS and windows 3.1

Postby derSammler » 2017-10-20 @ 14:49

Depends on the cards you want to use. At least the Phoenix Card Manager will only install what you need. E.g. you don't need to load support for Flash filesystem support if all you want to use is a modem or network card. Of course, if you load everything, you can say goodbye to 200 kb.
derSammler
Member
 
Posts: 314
Joined: 2017-4-14 @ 11:30
Location: Germany

Re: Looking for cardbus/Pcmcia driver for DOS and windows 3.1

Postby MichaelWeaser » 2017-10-20 @ 21:08

derSammler wrote:Depends on the cards you want to use. At least the Phoenix Card Manager will only install what you need. E.g. you don't need to load support for Flash filesystem support if all you want to use is a modem or network card. Of course, if you load everything, you can say goodbye to 200 kb.


Did you send me the software yet? I did send you the private message with my email so you can send me that.
MichaelWeaser
Newbie
 
Posts: 20
Joined: 2017-10-18 @ 13:15

Re: Looking for cardbus/Pcmcia driver for DOS and windows 3.1

Postby derSammler » 2017-10-20 @ 21:14

Yes, I did yesterday.
derSammler
Member
 
Posts: 314
Joined: 2017-4-14 @ 11:30
Location: Germany

Re: Looking for cardbus/Pcmcia driver for DOS and windows 3.1

Postby MichaelWeaser » 2017-10-21 @ 01:50

derSammler wrote:Yes, I did yesterday.


I checked my email, didn't get it somehow , my email is simply my user name, and than @gmail.com, If its not working, maybe send the file to me through a private message on here???
MichaelWeaser
Newbie
 
Posts: 20
Joined: 2017-10-18 @ 13:15

Re: Looking for cardbus/Pcmcia driver for DOS and windows 3.1

Postby oeuvre » 2017-10-21 @ 12:48

Could be in your spam... and yeah, don't install the flash/ATA drivers but for me I still ended up with around 510-525kb conventional
IBM ThinkPad 770
HP EliteBook 820 G2
i7 6700K, 32GB, NVIDIA GTX770, 256GB M.2 SSD + HD, Windows 10
Image
User avatar
oeuvre
Oldbie
 
Posts: 763
Joined: 2015-3-31 @ 13:31
Location: USA

Re: Looking for cardbus/Pcmcia driver for DOS and windows 3.1

Postby MichaelWeaser » 2017-10-21 @ 13:35

oeuvre wrote:Could be in your spam... and yeah, don't install the flash/ATA drivers but for me I still ended up with around 510-525kb conventional


Yes, I checked everything , its not there, and Yes I kept on checking my email, and even the spam folder .
MichaelWeaser
Newbie
 
Posts: 20
Joined: 2017-10-18 @ 13:15

Re: Looking for cardbus/Pcmcia driver for DOS and windows 3.1

Postby derSammler » 2017-10-21 @ 13:42

Do you have a second email address perhaps to which I can send it?
derSammler
Member
 
Posts: 314
Joined: 2017-4-14 @ 11:30
Location: Germany

Next

Return to General Old Hardware

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BitWrangler, elianda, hard1k, martin939, sparky4 and 15 guests