VOGONS

Reply 20 of 39, by MichaelWeaser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote:

Do you have a second email address perhaps to which I can send it?

try sending it to my username, using yahoo mail @yahoo.com , if you have to you could attach it to a private message on here. If you email it, please post a message on here, right after you do it.

Reply 21 of 39, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What does the following software report:
Re: PCMCIA Sound Cards

Also here's the PhoenixCard Manager 4.02, give it a try, it supports some Ricoh chipsets:
ftp://ftp.acer.com.tr/Archiv/notebook/Extensa … fw/pcmcia31.zip

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 22 of 39, by MichaelWeaser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lolo799 wrote:
What does the following software report: Re: PCMCIA Sound Cards […]
Show full quote

What does the following software report:
Re: PCMCIA Sound Cards

Also here's the PhoenixCard Manager 4.02, give it a try, it supports some Ricoh chipsets:
ftp://ftp.acer.com.tr/Archiv/notebook/Extensa … fw/pcmcia31.zip

I have actually tried the tellme program and it actually recognizes it as a intel 82365SL pcmcia device , But I do know its a Ricoh RL5C475A because when I run windows 98, that is what shows up in device manager , and that is what driver disks I have for it , is for the Ricoh chipset, and yes I have tried PhoenixCard Manager 4.02, it does recognize the pcmcia as a ricoh pcmcia controller , but when DOS loads DOS just completely freezes. The next thing I am trying to use is APsoft cardware 7.0 , which for it to work you have to set somethings like resources manually in the configuration file for the software , And I know the software works with the pcmcia controller since I have tried the windows 98 version of the software with windows 98 on that laptop. I actually made another post on this forum to get help to get it working. Topic 56589

Reply 24 of 39, by MichaelWeaser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lolo799 wrote:

If it recognizes it as an intel 82365SL chipset, have you tried Cardsoft SS365SL.EXE or SS365LP.EXE?

Yes, when I do the DOS installer, it doesn't leave me install anything , The installer recognises nothing and when I try to install , It says it installed something , But it installs nothing . The other issue is that controller isn't a cardbus controller , its a original pcmcia not cardbus controller, even if that driver would work , that would mean no cardbus devices would work.

Reply 25 of 39, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Forget the installer, just copy the files somewhere and add those lines at the end of your config.sys:
Device=c:\cardsoft\ss365sl.exe
Device=c:\cardsoft\cs.exe

And for the sake of testing, comment out everything you don't need to try the drivers, especially emm386, cause it seems that's the source of your issues.
Also put a "pause" as the first line of your autoexec.bat so you can read what the cardsoft drivers say.
Please post the contents of both your config and autoexec files that would be very helpful.

What pcmcia/cardbus cards are you planning to use?

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 26 of 39, by MichaelWeaser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lolo799 wrote:
Forget the installer, just copy the files somewhere and add those lines at the end of your config.sys: Device=c:\cardsoft\ss365s […]
Show full quote

Forget the installer, just copy the files somewhere and add those lines at the end of your config.sys:
Device=c:\cardsoft\ss365sl.exe
Device=c:\cardsoft\cs.exe

And for the sake of testing, comment out everything you don't need to try the drivers, especially emm386, cause it seems that's the source of your issues.
Also put a "pause" as the first line of your autoexec.bat so you can read what the cardsoft drivers say.
Please post the contents of both your config and autoexec files that would be very helpful.

What pcmcia/cardbus cards are you planning to use?

I did that, and weirdly they both install , doesn't give any error or anything , I don't even use EMM386.exe so that isn't a problem, I am only planning on using maybe Storage cards possibly CF to PCMCIA adaptors, and maybe trying to get a internet working with an ethernet card , But isn't this a problem , I am sure the intel ss365sl isn't cardbus compatible , so no 32 bit cards are going to work , and only original 16 bit cards will only work. and YES, I still want to use cardware 7.0 drivers in DOS / windows 3.1, Buts its going to be a pain in the A** , since resources have to be set manually for it , and it is giving me issues like it requires the use of EMM386.exe , and D000-DFFF memory locations have to be excluded , which gives an warning: unable to set page frame base address--ems unavailable , so what I am thinking is that EMM386 wants to give a page to EMS in that memory location, I was told I need to tell it manually a location to put the page for EMS. I do know it should work with my Ricoh cardbus controller , since it works with the windows 98 version of the driver, when I use windows 98. To get cardware 7.0 working I am going to need lots of help, since I have idea how to set resources.

Reply 27 of 39, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember the CardSoft installer only working properly when it is indeed run from the root A:\> dir, otherwise they are not working as they seem to use relative paths... They expect the install.exe to reside in a:\>

Reply 28 of 39, by MichaelWeaser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jaZz_KCS wrote:

I remember the CardSoft installer only working properly when it is indeed run from the root A:\> dir, otherwise they are not working as they seem to use relative paths... They expect the install.exe to reside in a:\>

This is the issue, that installation I have, is actually too big to fit all in a floppy disk , the entire size for everything is exactly 1.48 MB

Reply 29 of 39, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember that issue...
With all folders, Cardsoft, CardView, etc, it is barely over 1.44MB. I had to delete one or two help/readme files that are not needed to get some free space, and then copied the "SS365SL.EXE" file I needed for my adapter into the CardSoft folder.

When you have the file neccessary in the cardsoft folder, and everything on a floppy, the installation should work.

Try identifying one or two files that arent necessary for your installation and then it should work. I can't remember which files I deleted.

Reply 30 of 39, by MichaelWeaser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jaZz_KCS wrote:
I remember that issue... With all folders, Cardsoft, CardView, etc, it is barely over 1.44MB. I had to delete one or two help/re […]
Show full quote

I remember that issue...
With all folders, Cardsoft, CardView, etc, it is barely over 1.44MB. I had to delete one or two help/readme files that are not needed to get some free space, and then copied the "SS365SL.EXE" file I needed for my adapter into the CardSoft folder.

When you have the file neccessary in the cardsoft folder, and everything on a floppy, the installation should work.

Try identifying one or two files that arent necessary for your installation and then it should work. I can't remember which files I deleted.

Another issue I really don't want to use the cardsoft drivers, since the intel ss365sl isn't cardbus compatible, I am thinking the Ricoh RL5C475A is intel ss365sl 16-bit pcmcia compatible, but then you need other drivers to use 32 bit cardbus cards , I want to use cardware 7.0 drivers since its fully compatible with the Ricoh RL5C475A, But because the drivers work with basically all pcmcia controllers , the resources have to be manually set to the hardware of the device.

Reply 32 of 39, by MichaelWeaser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lolo799 wrote:

I also want to use network cards, so I will have to figure out how to configure cardware 7.0

Reply 33 of 39, by micromation

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Had some success !! Yippe!

Better make some notes before I forget...

SCENARIO
========
6200 series PLC-2
PCMK/A
Dell C510
TI 1420 (Cardbus)
MS-DOS 6.22
Cardsoft Drivers 3.1 mentioned by earlier poster

CONFIG.SYS
==========
DEVICE = C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
REM Pay close attention to the lst exclusion X=D300-D3FF
DEVICE = C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS HIGHSCAN I=B000-B7FF X=C800-C8FF X=CE00-CEFF X=CF00-CFFF X=D300-DFFF
buffers = 40,0
files = 40
dos = UMB
LASTDRIVE = H
FCBS = 16,0
dos = HIGH
STACKS = 9,256
install = c:\dos\share.exe
REM CardSoft(TM) 3.1 PCMCIA DRIVERS
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CARDSOFT\SS365LP.EXE
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CARDSOFT\CS.EXE
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CARDSOFT\CSALLOC.EXE
rem The following are not needed
rem DEVICEHIGH=C:\CARDSOFT\ATADRV.EXE
rem DEVICEHIGH=C:\CARDSOFT\MTAA.EXE
rem DEVICEHIGH=C:\CARDSOFT\MTAB.EXE
rem DEVICEHIGH=C:\CARDSOFT\MTI1.EXE
rem DEVICEHIGH=C:\CARDSOFT\MTI2P.EXE
rem DEVICEHIGH=C:\CARDSOFT\MTSRAM.EXE
rem DEVICEHIGH=C:\CARDSOFT\MTDDRV.EXE
rem DEVICEHIGH=C:\CARDSOFT\MS-FLASH.SYS

AUTOEXEC.BAT
=============
call c:\abic\bin\pcmkinit
REM You may have to pass some parameter to pcmkinit if PCMK card is not initialising into a suitable address
REM Example: PCMKINIT M=D300-D3FF I=3,5,10-12
REM remeber the exclusion used in EMM386 must align with this.

Other Notes:

Strategy: First focus on getting the PCMK card working and initialised to an approrpiate address and IRQ under DOS (see below) then update your 6200 SW drivers

Pcmkinit.exe is part if the PCMK Win9x Driver - download from A-B as part of a monster 1784-PC Card bulk driver download
After pcmkinit.exe runs you should hear the beep,
Run pcmklist.exe to check the PCMK card and show allocated address. I aimed for D300-D3FF.
The address allocated by pcmkinit.exe can be specified by switches AND is restricted by the block of memory you exclude in EMM386 - see config.sys above.

Acceptable address for the PCMK card are given in publication 1784-6.5.19-RN2 "Using PCMK card with 6200 series sofwtare"

If you can see the PCMK card configured correctly well done.
Now remember the drivers for the 6200 software need to be updated so the built in KT card drivers will use the PCMK card
This update is explain in same document: 1784-6.5.19-RN2 "Using PCMK card with 6200 series sofwtare"
The update software is also found in the bundle of drivers you downloaded earlier. look for Util_40.zip

Remaining issue: With current config PLC2 complain available memory a bit low but sw still runs ok.

Cardware will not work with Cardbus adapters - the book says so - but clearly Cardsoft does - at least in my case.

Good Luck

Reply 34 of 39, by MichaelWeaser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
micromation wrote:
Had some success !! Yippe! […]
Show full quote

Had some success !! Yippe!

Better make some notes before I forget...

SCENARIO
========
6200 series PLC-2
PCMK/A
Dell C510
TI 1420 (Cardbus)
MS-DOS 6.22
Cardsoft Drivers 3.1 mentioned by earlier poster

CONFIG.SYS
==========
DEVICE = C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
REM Pay close attention to the lst exclusion X=D300-D3FF
DEVICE = C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS HIGHSCAN I=B000-B7FF X=C800-C8FF X=CE00-CEFF X=CF00-CFFF X=D300-DFFF
buffers = 40,0
files = 40
dos = UMB
LASTDRIVE = H
FCBS = 16,0
dos = HIGH
STACKS = 9,256
install = c:\dos\share.exe
REM CardSoft(TM) 3.1 PCMCIA DRIVERS
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CARDSOFT\SS365LP.EXE
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CARDSOFT\CS.EXE
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CARDSOFT\CSALLOC.EXE
rem The following are not needed
rem DEVICEHIGH=C:\CARDSOFT\ATADRV.EXE
rem DEVICEHIGH=C:\CARDSOFT\MTAA.EXE
rem DEVICEHIGH=C:\CARDSOFT\MTAB.EXE
rem DEVICEHIGH=C:\CARDSOFT\MTI1.EXE
rem DEVICEHIGH=C:\CARDSOFT\MTI2P.EXE
rem DEVICEHIGH=C:\CARDSOFT\MTSRAM.EXE
rem DEVICEHIGH=C:\CARDSOFT\MTDDRV.EXE
rem DEVICEHIGH=C:\CARDSOFT\MS-FLASH.SYS

AUTOEXEC.BAT
=============
call c:\abic\bin\pcmkinit
REM You may have to pass some parameter to pcmkinit if PCMK card is not initialising into a suitable address
REM Example: PCMKINIT M=D300-D3FF I=3,5,10-12
REM remeber the exclusion used in EMM386 must align with this.

Other Notes:

Strategy: First focus on getting the PCMK card working and initialised to an approrpiate address and IRQ under DOS (see below) then update your 6200 SW drivers

Pcmkinit.exe is part if the PCMK Win9x Driver - download from A-B as part of a monster 1784-PC Card bulk driver download
After pcmkinit.exe runs you should hear the beep,
Run pcmklist.exe to check the PCMK card and show allocated address. I aimed for D300-D3FF.
The address allocated by pcmkinit.exe can be specified by switches AND is restricted by the block of memory you exclude in EMM386 - see config.sys above.

Acceptable address for the PCMK card are given in publication 1784-6.5.19-RN2 "Using PCMK card with 6200 series sofwtare"

If you can see the PCMK card configured correctly well done.
Now remember the drivers for the 6200 software need to be updated so the built in KT card drivers will use the PCMK card
This update is explain in same document: 1784-6.5.19-RN2 "Using PCMK card with 6200 series sofwtare"
The update software is also found in the bundle of drivers you downloaded earlier. look for Util_40.zip

Remaining issue: With current config PLC2 complain available memory a bit low but sw still runs ok.

Cardware will not work with Cardbus adapters - the book says so - but clearly Cardsoft does - at least in my case.

Good Luck

actually cardware does support cardbus, my cardbus controller is in the list of compatible pcmcia devices , also since the ricoh cardbus controller is intel ss365sl compatible as well. in the manual it talks about supporting cardware and there is a list of supported devices, cardbus controllers are on the list

http://www.tssc.de/site/download/docs/cwdwum.pdf
http://www.tssc.de/site/download/docs/List%20 … ler%20Chips.pdf

Reply 35 of 39, by Sugoll

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have installed the Cardbus PCMCIA drivers on my Toshiba 400CDT and they work, but indeed they eat up a lot of conventional memory.

This was everything that loaded initially:

5r5bkfN.jpg

That left me with about 400K of conventional memory.

I have since REM'd out everything except:

SS365SL.EXE
CS.EXE
CSALLOC.EXE
ATADRV.EXE
CARDID.EXE

Now I have about 542K free. A lot better, but still not great.

Can I remove some more? All I need is support for my CF card (+adapter).

Reply 36 of 39, by Zack_H

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to bump an old thread, but can somebody PLEASE provide me the pcmcia31.zip file linked above? When I open that link I’m asked for a username and password…

I can’t find that file anywhere else!

Thank you!

Starting Windows 95. . .

Reply 37 of 39, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is what I have. Enjoy.

Filename
pcmcia31.zip
File size
835.35 KiB
Downloads
162 downloads
File comment
Downloaded from https://www.phantom.sannata.org/viewtopic.php?t=5671&start=22
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 39 of 39, by schlomoe99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It might be worthwhile to upload that file to archive.org or here at the vogonsdrivers page so that it remains permanently available and easy to find without digging up this thread.