VOGONS

First post, by Zeecor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I just completed my 486 build but the system freezes at random times. If I wiggle any of the ISA cards slightly it starts working again. At first it was the NIC so I removed it but after that it's the sound card and after that it's the graphics card or the IDE/floppy controller. I have cleaned all the ISA slots with IPA and a toothbrush so it should be clean. Has anyone has this issue before and know how to fix it?

My parts:

Motherboard: Dataexpert EXP4044 V1.0
CPU: AMD 5x86 133
PSU: Sunshine 200W AT recapped
IDE/floppy controller: Pine PT-626 VLB
GPU: Cirrus Logic 5428 1MB VLB
Sound card: Yamaha YMF719E-S
NIC: 3com 3C509B

I also got a 1GB CF card as HDD, a CD-ROM and a 1.44MB floppy drive.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 7, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Flip the board and look for dry solder joints on the back of the slots.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 7, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote:

I was about to post that, and I believe that is common on boards for the solder points to either dry up or crack, which requires a re-flow of the solder. Luckily, my Packard Bell still runs, but takes a while for it to turn on since I'm using 2x AA batteries for the CMOS settings (the old battery was a soldered on BR1225), but I can solder on a battery holder for a lithium battery, but I need a de-soldering iron.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 3 of 7, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My 386SX/33 board had similar problems.

I ended reflowing the AT power connector (I just flippled the motherboard and used an soldering iron on terminals)

AT power.JPG
Filename
AT power.JPG
File size
19.14 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Man, 12V was 3V or less and -12V was 0V or -12v on rare occasions. What a mess...

Reply 4 of 7, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually have an EXP-4045. Great board. I had a stupid issue where a metal standoff I forgot to remove (and another one I couldn't remove) shorted out traces on the board and refused to let it post. Man was that an annoying problem.

Reply 5 of 7, by Zeecor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank for all the tips! I switched places on the IDE controller and GPU and it has been stable this far. I will take a look at reflowing if the problem comes back.

Reply 6 of 7, by GPA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:
BitWrangler wrote:

I was about to post that, and I believe that is common on boards for the solder points to either dry up or crack, which requires a re-flow of the solder. Luckily, my Packard Bell still runs, but takes a while for it to turn on since I'm using 2x AA batteries for the CMOS settings (the old battery was a soldered on BR1225), but I can solder on a battery holder for a lithium battery, but I need a de-soldering iron.

no need for a de-soldering iron, you can buy a cheap pump, like this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Metal-Desolderi … WEAAOSwHHFY-e1c

works ok for occasional work. Just make sure to add some fresh solder to the joint before pumping, it will go way smoother.

Reply 7 of 7, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:

I'm not quite sure I'm on topic...but hey, if you want to be sure before doing something, you are not doing much at all. 😎
- Ok , to hell with cheap lectures and advices -
I'll be using the external battery header and a speaker wire on this one and I'm looking for a elegant solution:

M321.jpg
Filename
M321.jpg
File size
2.48 MiB
Views
File comment
I hate the idea of the holder lifted somewhere
File license

Funny how the distance from positive and negative barrel battery terminals just match the battery holder.
Are they deactivated right now? In other words, can I install the holder where the barrel battery lays without "overvolting" something?
May I proceed ?

And although I tried to neutralize PC Chips fans with disdain earlier in "PC Chips sucks" thread, holding this intact ancient artifact feels more powerful than having the ultra hyper ultimate GTX or Titan from Nvidia. Furthermore, you wouldn't believe how much people are asking for a XT, 286 or 386 board around here...

Attachments

• gabinete NK.jpg
    Filename
    gabinete NK.jpg
    File size
    163.94 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Imagine this M321 inside this case. The system would gain wings to beat the hell of a 486SX and I would hear the rock button startin'it, play Commander Keen and much more...
    These are the colors of my dream tonight ! A man can dream (PRICE = $ 100US $)
    File license