VOGONS

First post, by Zeecor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I just bought a NOS IntelliMouse Serial or PS/2 compatible mouse and it works fine on two computers with the PS/2 connector. But I can't get it to work as a serial mouse. I bought this adapter: https://i.imgur.com/p9JpZx5.jpg. I have tried it on 3 different computers with serial ports but not one of them recognizes it.

Is there a trick to get it working as a serial mouse or is it just not serial compatible? This is what the label says: https://i.imgur.com/q5FRmD6.jpg

Thanks!

Reply 2 of 3, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe that the logitech and ms pinouts were different. I don't know if it would help much if you specifically seek a MS adapter, given that most vendors are probably clueless, vs just hitting up thrift stores etc and trying what you find.

Another thing that can bite you in the arse with onboard i/o and I/O cards that didn't come with serial on the backplate... is that you might not have got the right serial headers... there's at least 3 ways they are wired up, so random headers might not be what's needed on given mobo or I/O card.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 3, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IMO, for nearly all legacy computing needs, an RS-232 serial mouse is all you ever need unless you are one of the weird people who can't use ball mice. An RS-232 mouse will work on all systems from the 5150 to probably even a few modern boards with an RS-232 header (I mean you could always use an RS-232 card).

PS/2 mice are cool, but I honestly do not seek them out all that much as they aren't has useful as serial mice. My main serial mouse is a NOS Mitsumi serial mouse that I bought (and indeed repaired) off EBay. It works with my 486, P3, and will work with any serial compatible machine. Heck, if you had the drivers you could use this on non-PCs in theory.