VOGONS

old servers as gamming pc's

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 49, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Great, so now you have sudden system shutdowns because of overheating CPUs. Good luck with that.

Scraphoarder: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/419929/Comp … 00.html?page=27

WARNING The Compaq ProLiant 8500 weighs 62 kilograms (137 pounds) ...

🤣

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 41 of 49, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Errius wrote:
Great, so now you have sudden system shutdowns because of overheating CPUs. Good luck with that. […]
Show full quote

Great, so now you have sudden system shutdowns because of overheating CPUs. Good luck with that.

🤣

No suprise. Almost same weight as the Unisys Aquanta (ALR 6x6) i got from overseas earlier this year. Shipping cost was insaine 😵

Reply 42 of 49, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@errius
you are completely correct. DO NOT BUY SERVER HARDWARE!!! It's all worthless, nobody should buy that trash.

@scrapholder
totally worth that shipping though.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 43 of 49, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

@scrapholder
totally worth that shipping though.

Yes now the pain is gone. It could been worse, but sending it over the Atlantic by ship got the price down. My seemed to be the second last in stock the seller had, and the last one also went to a Vogoner in Europe.
The Compaq Proliant 8500 would be nice to have since its an 8 way system, but totally usesless as many other things i have.

Reply 45 of 49, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Errius wrote:

You guys have racks to hang these things on?

Most of my older Compaq servers are tower models, but have rack conversion kits to them also. Anyway none are used at the moment and probably not ever for a long time, so a rack isnt needed.

Reply 46 of 49, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I could have got some ex-office racks from a family friend a while ago but had to say no. Not just lack of space, I was also worried about floor weight distribution, since I'd have to mount them in an upstairs room. I assume folks with these things put them in basements?

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 48 of 49, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Scraphoarder wrote:
Errius wrote:
Great, so now you have sudden system shutdowns because of overheating CPUs. Good luck with that. […]
Show full quote

🤣

No suprise. Almost same weight as the Unisys Aquanta (ALR 6x6) i got from overseas earlier this year. Shipping cost was insaine 😵

Was gonna say, don't be silly, its over in the USA... You've already shot down that argument! 🤣
Was a Proliant 6000 the UK selling for almost nothing few years back I was seriously considering, But lack of space, transport costs, and practical use (but mainly the space) stopped me

Jade Falcon wrote:

You could always just stack the servers on top of etch other, not the best for cooling or management, but whatever.

This works for me, I figure its pretty close to the amount of airflow they get in a rack just as long as the front and back of the servers have good airflow.
I've recently picked up 4 Dell PowerEdge R210's which I've stacked vertically, Reverse Rack mount style I figure.
None of these servers are on very often and rarely more then 2 at once
Once I settle down somewhere long term I'll probably grab a 1/2 height rack 2nd hand, one of the positive things about everyone going cloud is a lot of server rooms are getting cleared out making it bit of a buyers market, Aint that right Luckybob 😉

Reply 49 of 49, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I want a rack now just so I can have a funky slide out console...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/APC-AP5717-17-LCD-Mo … 5.c100005.m1851

That and somewhere to put a Quantum Obsidian Mercury Heavy Metal when I find one.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.