VOGONS

Reply 20 of 30, by Adrian_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What you want with your current PSU is this card https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/310/radeon-hd-4350-agp which offers hardware flash acceleration (youtube and so on) plus Dx10.1 support while taking a mere 20W.

If you change the PSU you could look at a HD4650 or HD4670 (48 and 59W ) but make sure you buy the AGP version, as the much more common PCI-E version is not going to fit your mobo.

Reply 21 of 30, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The beep sound happened because the keyboard was stuck in front, and a key was pressed and hold. The sound card works, but it has no OPL3 chip in it, I actually prefer the OPL3 sound but the sound cards runs fine in every DOS game. If I want to purchase OPL3. Is this compatible?

https://www.ebay.com.my/itm/16-bit-ISA-Yamaha … rd/282373256582

Reply 22 of 30, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Muz wrote:

The beep sound happened because the keyboard was stuck in front, and a key was pressed and hold. The sound card works, but it has no OPL3 chip in it, I actually prefer the OPL3 sound but the sound cards runs fine in every DOS game. If I want to purchase OPL3. Is this compatible?

https://www.ebay.com.my/itm/16-bit-ISA-Yamaha … rd/282373256582

Real Yamaha OPL3 is built into the Yamaha YMF chips. That PCI card you linked should most definitely have real OPL3 UNLESS you got scammed and it is a remarked CMI chip.

What drivers are you using for it?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 23 of 30, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It says in the 'Device Manager', that AW744/YAMAHA DS-XG GamePort, Legacy sound System, PCI Audio CODEC is installed. The IBM NetVista has internal speaker in it and its own audio jack. I have two audio drivers installed in the system, the internal built in sound card driver, and the Yamaha sound card driver.

Reply 24 of 30, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok, you may need to use the DOS initialization program/driver to get OPL3 to work. I haven't tried it without the DOS initialization program/driver.

I'm also not sure if OPL3 is even going to show up in Windows itself. As long as you select whatever I/O port you configure it with setupDS, the games should be able to see it just fine.

You may need a modified version of setupDS so it will work with your motherboard chipset... at least if you want digital audio in real DOS mode.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 25 of 30, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I installed the sound card in the DOS environment, but the sound blaster (SB), IRQ, and DMA section are grayed out. It looks like this.

DS-XG_IRQ_error.png

Also, in Multimedia Properties, the MIDI output, it shows as:
MIDI for AW744/YAMAHA DS-XG MPU401
MIDI for AW744/YAMAHA DS-XG
MIDI for WDM-based Device

when I select MPU401 and play a midi file, there is no sound, but if I select the others it plays it, but it sounds as a default Microsoft default Synthetiser, not OPL3.

YMF724-WDM-Multimedia.png

I have tried MIDIer in the DOS environment, there is sound played when MIDI files are played.

Reply 26 of 30, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1. Run "SETUPDS /s" from DOS. This will initialize the card so you can actually change stuff in the configuration.
2. Run "SETUPDS" from DOS. This will bring up the configuration/test part of the program.
3. Change the DMA mode from PC-PCI to D-DMA.
4. You can try testing the sound now. All modes should show up. When testing Sound Blaster 8-bit, it will most likely say it can't find DMA at 1. Change it to 0 and try again. It should work.
5. Save and exit. This will not update the SET BLASTER setting in Autoexec.bat. You will need to change "D1" to "D0" as well as any other settings you changed such as the I/O and IRQ.

In your case, since it is giving an error on IRQ 5, you will have to change that as well.

You will need "setupds /s" in your autoexec.bat file so it will initialize the card for DOS every time you boot.

One other thing, if you are launching the DOS program from within Windows, depending on what you have your MIDI device set to, it is probably using the MIDI synth on the sound card or maybe even on the onboard sound card.

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2017-11-04, 16:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 27 of 30, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The two pictures above are different from mine, I hyperlinked those two from another site. My SB, IRQ, and DMA is grayed out, so I cannot edit it, and sound test for Sound Blaster 8bit Sound is also greyed out. It says here in readme,

3. Depending on the environment in which the DS-XG is used, all Sound Blaster items may be grayed out and
cannot be modified. This indicates that Sound Blaster cannot be used on your PC.

4. Depending on the environment in which the DS-XG is used, INTA# IRQ may be grayed out and not
modifiable even if you set the IRQ MODE to INTA#.
This is because the same INTA# IRQ is shared by the DS-XG and by devices other than the DS-XG.
Please move the DS-XG to a different slot, and execute SETUPDS.EXE once again.
(You must turn off the power before removing or inserting the DS-XG in a slot.)

5. Depending on the environment in which the DS-XG is used, the DMA MODE may be grayed out and
cannot be modified.
This indicates that the DS-XG supports only that particular DMA MODE.

Do I have to position the sound card in a different slot since it has three PCI slots. I put it in far right.

Reply 28 of 30, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Everything will be grayed out and not editable IF you do not run "setupds /s" before "setupds"

You may need to change the IRQ setting in the BIOS or move the card to a different slot.

You may also need to use a modified setupds that will work with your motherboard chipset in order to get digital sound working in DOS.

The OPL3 part of the card should work in DOS regardless as all it uses is an I/O address.. No IRQ or DMA.

See here for all the available modified setupds programs.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx6yUkEXCMV … NkY5RklBLWNjT1k

Also see here for some more information:
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

YMF744+DSDMA+DOS+P965(and other PCIe chipsets)=success

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 29 of 30, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I cannot figure out the greyed out stuff. I might just want to buy new OPL3 sound card, just in case. I'm consider these two stuffs. Does ship cost more and increase if I order more than 1 item from 1 seller?

https://www.ebay.com.my/itm/16-bit-ISA-Yamaha … 119.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com.my/itm/S3-Trio64-86C764X … mUAAOSwwe9ZmKcC