VOGONS

First post, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I cant belive that something this old, and in such a bad condition still works and booted at first try
i was not planning on buying this $10 bucks PC but when i saw it and read the manual i still wanted it because it looked nice, i always wanted one but an IBM one. Even tho its just a 486 dx2-50 and i read the manual and looks like good well known HP did not want you to upgrade it for free and you are given very few upgrade options, like an overdrive 33 or something like that.

I didnt plug it, i wanted to see how bad it was inside, full of dirt everywhere even on the ram slots. Took a paint brush and cleaned it a little bit
connected it and the monitor did not fit, wtf? HP, FUCK HP with a vga connector that has 1 pin hole missing, had to take out an old trident isa card and plug it in to use my monitor.

the case is actually in good condition, it is just dirty as hell
the power supply does give a lot of sound, like the hdd.....79.5W OF MEGA POWER
And there is one button i dont know what it is for, there is a power, reset button and anotherone that i have no clue.

could this be upgraded to a pentium dx4 or amd 133 with a voltage regulator? or hp had done their business with a crappy bios cpu detect?

the battery is weird too, it is faulty because at first boot it gave cpu plus hdd error and booted a second time and gave no errors

THE SUPER MEGA COOLING OF THE ERA....MY GOD AHAHHA THE FAN POINTING THE CPU WITHOUT ANY HEATSINK, THOSE WHERE THE DAYS.

some pics to enjoy

IMG_20171021_162400.jpg

IMG_20171021_162634.jpg

IMG_20171021_162645.jpg

IMG_20171021_162648.jpg

IMG_20171021_162652.jpg

IMG_20171021_165034.jpg

IMG_20171021_165722.jpg

IMG_20171021_165731.jpg

IMG_20171021_165750.jpg

IMG_20171021_165830.jpg

IMG_20171021_165844.jpg

IMG_20171021_170605.jpg

Reply 1 of 9, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can safely use the on board video card despite the blocked pin. Just take a needle, heat it up with a lighter and stick it in the covered pin hole to open it up. After that you can plug any monitor in.

Reply 2 of 9, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As for the VGA connector with one pin blocked, Compaq did this too on their Deskpro systems (and probably others). Agreed, it is quite annoying. I use a KVM/VGA extension cable and just clipped the pin off on the male end of the cable rather than modifying the port on the computer.

Reply 3 of 9, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RJDog wrote:

As for the VGA connector with one pin blocked, Compaq did this too on their Deskpro systems (and probably others). Agreed, it is quite annoying. I use a KVM/VGA extension cable and just clipped the pin off on the male end of the cable rather than modifying the port on the computer.

good idea, i have seen those cables are very cheap, like 5 bucks.

I have been cleaning the hell out of this pc, i cant tell how much dust it had inside
I opened the power supply and inside it was completely black, full of black dirt, like coal, used compressed air and a brush
and now it looks awesome, plus the capacitors are ok! after 30 years!

then i did a dissasembly and cleaned everything, even below the motherboard there was dust and dirt.

One thing im considering is on buying is a new 80mm fan for the power supply,it gives a little noise. Plus this pc uses some kind of weird 4.5v rayovac alkaline battery.
I need to buy a 3 x AAA battery holder and 3 AAA normal batteries, and replace that rayovac. at least it is not rechargable, just alkaline.

IMG_20171021_234039.jpg

Reply 4 of 9, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My Vectra 486/66 XM has a 14 pin VGA port too, but I just bought a 14 pin VGA cable to save myself the hassle of boring out a hole or damaging a cable. Shame the system itself hates CDROM drives.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 5 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You may be able to upgrade the CPU, Its using a LIF (low insertion force) rather then a ZIF (Zero insertion force) socket
You can see a picture of the official tool on our wiki http://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Intel_CPUs
Finding out the motherboard part number will help.

Good job with the cleaning though!

Reply 6 of 9, by DeafPK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd bet this machine has lived its entire life in a workshop or a production facility. I had a similarly fated computer once that came from an auto shop. You could set fire to the black powder that came out of it.

"an occasional fart in their general direction would provide more than enough cooling" —PCBONEZ

Reply 7 of 9, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For a system like that, I'm quite surprised the system still runs with all that crap in the PSU.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 8 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is the results from sitting in a basement office with carpet running 24x7 for however many years

B4_Frnt.jpg

Reply 9 of 9, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:
This is the results from sitting in a basement office with carpet running 24x7 for however many years […]
Show full quote

This is the results from sitting in a basement office with carpet running 24x7 for however many years

B4_Frnt.jpg

Oooo sexay... Does it come in beige 🤣