VOGONS

First post, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I'm trying to build a high-performance Windows 98, or if needbe Windows ME.

I'm trying to use:
Athlon 64 3000+ 2.0GHz
Quadro FX 3000
Audigy 2 ZS
TB Aureal Vortex 2
512mb RAM (256x2 or 512x1)

So the motherboard is in question. I was trying to use an ASUS K8V Deluxe with the VIA K8T800 chipset but it seemed finicky but that could be issues with the board. So I got an ASRock K8NF3-VSTA with an nforce 3 250 chipset.

On the ASUS, it wasn't bad but it wasn't great. I'll have to switch the board around again and try again, but last I knew, it was not nice and stable.

On the ASRock, it started to crash on boot after installing the Aureal drivers. I tried several versions, using the Turtle Beach and the reference and I had physically removed both sound cards. I tried a second time, installing the Audigy first but I had similar issues. I tend to thing it was related to the nvidia USB drivers but I installed the generic drivers for flash drives to work in 98SE, which they did at first.

So I'm wondering if others have had similar issues and how you resolved them. I was thinking of trying Windows ME but I'm not sure if there are compatible or stable Vortex2 drivers. Also, is there a recommended unofficial Windows ME Service Pack?

Thanks!

Steamer/GOG-er: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.7GHz all cores | Mushkin 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333 w/ 6-6-6-18 1T | Dual AMD Radeon HD 6850s in CrossFireX | X-Fi Titanium | Dual-boot Windows XP and Vista

Reply 2 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

From my experience, the unofficial Windows 98SE service pack is very buggy and unstable.

The best option IMO is to install only the Microsoft Windows 98SE updates and be done with it. Seems to work a lot better for me.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 13, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

From my experience, the unofficial Windows 98SE service pack is very buggy and unstable.

The best option IMO is to install only the Microsoft Windows 98SE updates and be done with it. Seems to work a lot better for me.

I only use the main updates, Tweak UI and the 2000 theme (needed for Firefox to look acceptable) So far, I have not had issues with P2/P3 systems.

Steamer/GOG-er: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.7GHz all cores | Mushkin 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333 w/ 6-6-6-18 1T | Dual AMD Radeon HD 6850s in CrossFireX | X-Fi Titanium | Dual-boot Windows XP and Vista

Reply 4 of 13, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

gdjacobs just told me on another thread "K8T800 has the advantage of chipset support for DDMA whereas an nForce3 will be non viable for PCI audio in DOS." and I think I remember hearing that for older NForce2 also, that it won't play nice with anything prior to XP for PCI cards.

Also the last win98 install I had went whacky when I went from 256 to 512MB of RAM, it just didn't seem to know how to manage it. Not to mention having to wait for it to resize the swap file like 20 times before it believes you it should be bigger than 16MB

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 13, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote:

gdjacobs just told me on another thread "K8T800 has the advantage of chipset support for DDMA whereas an nForce3 will be non viable for PCI audio in DOS." and I think I remember hearing that for older NForce2 also, that it won't play nice with anything prior to XP for PCI cards.

That reminds me, I had used the 'no detect pci' driver for the Vortex2 the second time around. The first time, I used the standard ones and there was an error about the primary pci bus? I didn't write it down. I also don't need DOS drivers anyway.

Guess I should give the ASUS board a go again. I really should stop using my good Thermal Grizzly thermal paste as this would be the second time I've removed it off that CPU (its $30 per 11 gram tube).

Reply 6 of 13, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My asrock am2nf3 had stability issues with an sb live, and also won't boot to 98 if there's a usb stick plugged in. Not the best chipset for trouble-free 98'ing, though with what it works it works.

Reply 8 of 13, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
agent_x007 wrote:

Are you using 2041 driver with no PCI/SB emulation option(s) ?
Example : LINK
I wouldn't be surprised if Audigy 2 didn't like Vortex 2 too much (IRQ/reasource conflicts).

First run no, second run yes using the drivers from PCL's site.

Do you know if Vortex2 works in WinME?

Reply 10 of 13, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've made progress but I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch.

So I did it in this order:
- Only had Quadro and Audigy installed
- Instal DirectX 7,8 and 9
- Installed nForce drivers
- After reboot, disable the Universal Serial Bus. It still has a yellow question mark but if you refresh the driver, it installs the nvidia USB driver and causes problems.
- Install the Quadro drivers, 81.98
- Install Audigy drivers (used CD from the VOGONS driver library, full install, causes issues, see below)
- Insert the TB Aureal Vortex
- Install the TB Montego drivers from philscomputerlab.com without the DOS drivers (the 46m2_9x1)
- It might be a Dell version and although the readme says to not use these drivers with the Dell version, it seems to work fine *
- Install the generic USB drivers
- Install the Unofficial Service Pack, just Main Updates, TweakUI and the ME/2000 Theme
- THEN refresh the nForce USB device in Device Manager. nForce USB driver gets installed

At this point, everything seems good. I don't think it is the sound cards causing the problem, I think its the USB 2.0 drivers.
Flash drives work but I'll need to test USB controllers.

After all that, I played Half-Life and Unreal with nGlide without issues except Half-Life might not be working right with the A3D. On the TRAM ride, if I get close to the edge and look out the window on the front or back, I don't hear the announcer. Anyone know if that is normal?

I think I will tryout Windows ME. Might be more stable where USB 2.0 is concerned.

Reply 11 of 13, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes ME has built in support for USB which is nice.

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 12 of 13, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Take Win ME as the first priority. 98 is much buggier than Me on morden system, especially for Athlon 64 platform. Up to 1.5GB of memory can be supported by ur rig with Me, which means a dual-boot system with ME & 2K/XP is a better combination available for u (512MB is not enough in XP IMO). Unofficial patched 98se is very unstable according my experience

The NOOB of noobs!!

Retro Games & Hardware サイコウ!

Reply 13 of 13, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Which chipset is highest suitable for Windows 98 SE?
KT600 is still ok? KT880? nForce 2?

For socket 754/939 machine, and 64 bit processors, have they all problems?

What about onboard audio. Does VIA chipset drivers still works for windows 98, behind KT400 chipset? Up to which one? (I've heard nForce 3 onboard audio is out of question, and it will not support Windows 98)