VOGONS

First post, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What headphones do you guys think is the best for game play?

Reply 2 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The best.. well, something in the range of actual Hi-Fi quality.

Personally, I use a pair of Pioneer SE-505 headphones from the 70s. Requires a high enough powered output, but they put gaming headsets to shame.

The headphones geared towards gaming really just have poor frequency response compared to a real set of headphones.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 6, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I swear by Phillips SPH2000. They're a bit on the fragile side, but very, very comfortable and sound great. Full range frequency response form 20hz to 20kh, little to no noise and a crystal clear output. There's two models - one with a 3m cable, and one with a 6m(!!! 🤣) long cable - great for moving around the room providing the cable doesn't snag on anything.

Oh yeah, and best of all - they are really cheap - about 15 euros. Seriously, these things put most expensive gaming and audiophile headphones to shame - but don't take my word for it - pop into a store that stocks these and try them on.

Reply 5 of 6, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are two main aspects to headphone sound, beyond noise and distortion:
1. Analytical resolution and linear response vs. pleasing sound; they're two different markets, but for gaming performance one type is really about as good as the other, depending on your taste.
2. Sound stage and directionality; positioning sounds accurately is the most significant thing a pair of headphones can do for your gaming performance. A fair bit of variance out there.

Audio-Technica and AKG are strong contenders, Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic too.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 6 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It also depends on the games, I guess. 😐
Playing an adventure game and listening to a fabulous MT-32 track while sitting in your
comfy arm chair with a cup of tea in your hand is differend from playing some heavy
shooter or action game.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//