VOGONS

First post, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found that AT&T Globalyst 510 PC. It has 486DX66 CPU, nice sleak and small case, slim FDD, one ISA slot (just for nice soundcard)
However...
It has very simplistic Bios boot appearance (AT&T bios, but when you enter it, it will be SurePatch bios, see pic), and it tests its memory for... 30 seconds! 48Mb Ram being tested each time for half a minute!
What Can I do about it? Uploading better BIOS? Buying faster RAM?
I found online, that it takes ATT/NCR Globalyst FPM Memory Module (p/n ATT-32MB-FPM-SIMM). Are any replacement RAM modules for that computer?
Here are some pics:
https://imgur.com/eMHXoem
https://imgur.com/JrukUOX
https://imgur.com/1rhRYus

Reply 1 of 14, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Look for an option in the BIOS called "Quick boot", "Quick power-on self-test", "Extended RAM test", or something like that. Normally, you can enable/disable long memory test in almost every BIOS.

ps: make sure the CMOS battery is good, otherwise changing options will have no effect.

Reply 2 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Niezgodka wrote:

It has very simplistic Bios boot appearance (AT&T bios, but when you enter it, it will be SurePatch bios, see pic),
and it tests its memory for... 30 seconds! 48Mb Ram being tested each time for half a minute!

Hello, maybe you can find a matching BIOS at http://chukaev.ru54.com/bios_en.htm .
Just make sure the chipset is the same. And keep a backup of your old BIOS before flashing.
If it is an older model, you're required to use an EPROM programmer and need one or two cleared chips.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 14, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last resort would probably be to just limit yourself to 16MB RAM — you don't really need 48MB for a DX2. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices when you really like a slick form-factor 😀

Also, AFAIK, some memory managers like QEMM allow you to bypass memory checks at reboot (not at initial boot, though).

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 5 of 14, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Niezgodka wrote:
I found that AT&T Globalyst 510 PC. It has 486DX66 CPU, nice sleak and small case, slim FDD, one ISA slot (just for nice soundca […]
Show full quote

I found that AT&T Globalyst 510 PC. It has 486DX66 CPU, nice sleak and small case, slim FDD, one ISA slot (just for nice soundcard)
However...
It has very simplistic Bios boot appearance (AT&T bios, but when you enter it, it will be SurePatch bios, see pic), and it tests its memory for... 30 seconds! 48Mb Ram being tested each time for half a minute!
I found online, that it takes ATT/NCR Globalyst FPM Memory Module (p/n ATT-32MB-FPM-SIMM). Are any replacement RAM modules for that computer?
Here are some pics:
https://imgur.com/eMHXoem
https://imgur.com/JrukUOX
https://imgur.com/1rhRYus

I have a FIC 486-GAC-2 motherboard that is supposed to be out from a globalyst 510 or 515 and it has the exact same BIOS interface. I can't remember if I had managed to turn off the slow memory test, but if your machine has the same board inside, congrats, you can use two additional BIOS flavors offered by FIC. The att BIOS on the FIC site is different from what you have now, which can be found here. I am not using the FIC flavors because I couldn't get them to work with pentium overdrive.
I have been looking for the cache module for the board for a long time. Could you please post the model number of the module or take a clear picture of it, if you have the same board and it comes with the cache module installed?

Reply 6 of 14, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lazibayer wrote:

I have a FIC 486-GAC-2 motherboard that is supposed to be out from a globalyst 510 or 515 and it has the exact same BIOS interface. I can't remember if I had managed to turn off the slow memory test, but if your machine has the same board inside, congrats, you can use two additional BIOS flavors offered by FIC. The att BIOS on the FIC site is different from what you have now, which can be found here. I am not using the FIC flavors because I couldn't get them to work with pentium overdrive.
I have been looking for the cache module for the board for a long time. Could you please post the model number of the module or take a clear picture of it, if you have the same board and it comes with the cache module installed?

Will be more than happy to help you with Cashe module. Pm sent.

Reply 7 of 14, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the pictures.
For your convenience, I have extracted and attached the flash programmer offered by NCR. If FIC's programmer isn't working, you may try fprog with FIC BIOSes:

fprog FICBIOS.BIN

And hit Y when it asks you to do so.
Just FYI, generally, it's better to bypass config.sys and autoexec.bat when programming BIOS in pure DOS.

Attachments

• Filename
    FPROG.EXE
    File size
    25.63 KiB
    Downloads
    58 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, on DOS5/6, someone just presses F5 during boot. It's safer that way.
I had trouble configuring my network card if config.sys and autoexec.bat were processed.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 14, by Karci

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Niezgodka wrote on 2017-10-27, 20:38:

Guys. Second bios from lazibayer works great. Booting is fast (5 seconds memory check) and it looks normally. Thank You!

Guys, I have the same motherboard (globalyst 515). I tried both NCR and FIC bios. FIC bios is ok but I can't use hard drives bigger than 2gb without an overlay software. NCR bios works with a 4gb hard drive but I can't use sx or dx2 processors. Is there way to patch FIC bios to support hard drives bigger than 2gb ? I tried Award bios editor but it didn't work.

@Niezgodka, which bios revision did you tried ? I found Year 2000 Beta Bios (att409be) only.

Reply 11 of 14, by scorp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Karci wrote on 2020-02-11, 20:11:
Niezgodka wrote on 2017-10-27, 20:38:

Guys. Second bios from lazibayer works great. Booting is fast (5 seconds memory check) and it looks normally. Thank You!

Guys, I have the same motherboard (globalyst 515). I tried both NCR and FIC bios. FIC bios is ok but I can't use hard drives bigger than 2gb without an overlay software. NCR bios works with a 4gb hard drive but I can't use sx or dx2 processors. Is there way to patch FIC bios to support hard drives bigger than 2gb ? I tried Award bios editor but it didn't work.

@Niezgodka, which bios revision did you tried ? I found Year 2000 Beta Bios (att409be) only.

Hi, I have here the G515 with original BIOS. I didn't try bigger HDDs, but DX2-66 works perfectly fine. I didn't try FIC BIOS yet...

My Youtube channel Necroware

Reply 12 of 14, by scorp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Niezgodka wrote on 2017-10-26, 20:53:
lazibayer wrote:

Will be more than happy to help you with Cashe module. Pm sent.

I have the same question, searching for a cache module. Could you post the image here? May be more people will be interested in it. I found one module from Compaq, it is too high to fit into the case, however it is possible to make a cutout in the floppy drive bay, so it would theoretically fit. Does somebody know if it's electrically compatible?

https://imgur.com/4dCFFVK

My Youtube channel Necroware