VOGONS

Reply 40 of 46, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cga.8086 wrote:

the only thing i did not like was the 8 KB L1 cache.
is that upgradable to 16 KB L1 cache ?, don´t even know where that L1 cache is on the motherboard.

I also installed 32mb of memory. its more than enough for windows95 and about the recommended per microsoft for windows98

L1 cache is the CPU cache and L2 is the motherboard cache. However, the Super Socket 7 (K6-2+, K6-3, K6-3+), Slot 1 and higher processors had both L1 and L2 cache integrated while on some boards, the L2 cache acts as the L3 cache (motherboard dependent).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 42 of 46, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

today i tested it a little bit more

used a intel dx4 75mhz cpu with the motherboard voltage regulator and it was a no go. too many problems ans artifacs playing doom

then used a intel dx4 100 with voltage regulator socketed to the cpu. and its running great

with a trident VESa card... 3dbench gave me like 52fps scorex

Reply 43 of 46, by bbhaag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I will admit that I am impressed with your successful attempt at removing the fake chips and then installing functioning ones. Very impressive. I do have to ask one question though. Is that blood on the cache chips in your pic?

Reply 44 of 46, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Might be the no clean flux... but the approved method for ensuring 486 cache works needs chicken blood drawn at midnight on a full moon.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 45 of 46, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote:

In my experience, the UMC cache chips were usually real actually. You do seem to be missing a Keyboard Controller chip.

Some 486 boards doesnt havent a keyboard bios chip onboard..Because those functions where also intergrated in new kind of biosses..

Normally you would have Bios chip + KB bios, but this board have BIOS rom + keyboard bios in one Eprom.. If you would adding a kB-bios chip to the empty IC socket, it only would lock your whole keyboard.

Only if you replace it with a Bios only Eprom, then you will have to add a kb-bios chip to the empty socket.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 46 of 46, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

haha not blood. just a marking . some old cpus came with some.markings . i always see a 486 cpu with some sort of cat or animal seal. looks like hardware sellers did that when they sold their stuff