VOGONS

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looking for recommendations for a Slot 1 Motherboard for a Pentium 3 - 500 MHZ...

Trying to be period correct but open to any opinions...thanks!

Reply 1 of 19, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anything based on BX chipset
Have a Dell XPS T500 that comes with its Intel OEM variant.
Back in 99? 2000? Family got a C500 based on an Asus P2B ZS on slocket adaptor, which I chucked in in 2006 🙁
That PC also came with SB Live! and TNT 2 M64

Reply 2 of 19, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It would depend on the CPU. Is it 100MHz FSB or 133? I'll assume 100 since you said it's 500. Is it a 2V Pentium 3 or a 1.7V? A 2V Katmai would work on just about any 440BX chipset motherboard, but only certain ones can handle a CPU voltage below 1.8V.

Example: I have an ASUS P2B Revision 1.02 using an Intel 440BX chipset. It has a 100MHz FSB so I have PC-100 SDRAM chips running at the full 100MHz. But Revision 1.02 doesn't support CPU voltages below 1.8V, so I had to find a KATMAI CPU - the fastest one I could get being only 600MHz. So I got that one and it works properly.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 4 of 19, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Abit be6-ii
You can find them for less them 50$ Most of the time. And it's worth every penny

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-11-01, 16:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 19, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you don't want to fuss with overclocking and have no problem running 100FSB, I think the Intel SE440BX-2 is the most bulletproof slot 1 board ever made if you want something that just plain works. They like to appear in batches brand new in box on ebay for around $50 now and then. I used a bunch of these in an office rollout and still remember being amused by it's giant capacitors.

Sure as the sun shines, here they are on ebay: (note I am NOT the seller nor do I know the seller 😜 )
https://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEL-SE440BX-2-MOTH … NoAAOSw8-tWaHj5

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 6 of 19, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm kinda partical to my SOYO 6BA+ IV

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Slot-1-motherboard-S … lkAAOSwHLNZUAF6

has Highpoint ATA66 controller, mine overclocked well, offical support for coppermine, 4 ram slots, 8 IDE devices,

Reply 7 of 19, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Only a few choices really:

Asus P2B
Asus P2B-B
Asus P2B-S
Asus P2B-LS
Asus P2B-DS
Asus P2B-F
Asus P3B-F

Probably forgot a few but you get the picture.

I MIGHT be a bit biased? 🤣

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 8 of 19, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:
Only a few choices really: […]
Show full quote

Asus P2B
Asus P2B-B
Asus P2B-S
Asus P2B-LS
Asus P2B-DS
Asus P2B-F
Asus P3B-F

Where would I get that idea?? 🤣...

I have an ASUS P2B that has a 450 PII running in it currently, as the board specs in the manual state 450 PII was the highest it could take....Are these P2B's different?

Also, that Intel board mentioned above looks decent, as I havent gotten into any type of overclocking before...Just building various machines from various years / periods..

Looking into the ABit board to.

Thanks for the recommendations...

Reply 9 of 19, by TOBOR

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Smack2k wrote:
Where would I get that idea?? LOL... […]
Show full quote
meljor wrote:
Only a few choices really: […]
Show full quote

Asus P2B
Asus P2B-B
Asus P2B-S
Asus P2B-LS
Asus P2B-DS
Asus P2B-F
Asus P3B-F

Where would I get that idea?? 🤣...

I have an ASUS P2B that has a 450 PII running in it currently, as the board specs in the manual state 450 PII was the highest it could take....Are these P2B's different?

Also, that Intel board mentioned above looks decent, as I havent gotten into any type of overclocking before...Just building various machines from various years / periods..

Looking into the ABit board to.

Thanks for the recommendations...

Asus P2B-F will accept PIII with a BIOS update.

If the truth hurts, tough shit.

Reply 10 of 19, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

Abit be6-ii
You cab find them for less them 50$ Most of the time. And it's worth every penny

^This.

If you want the possibility of upgrading to a faster 133Mhz FSB CPU and might want to try a tualatin P3, look for a Abit ST6.

The Asus P2B is kind of simple for my taste. Lots of versions and revisions of the board, each with different capabilities. Some require bios updates to work with faster chips, while others flat-out refuse to work with faster CPUs due to hardware limitations.

The Abit BE6-II does not have that issue, and it's also a good overclocker. Mine runs a 333Mhz Pentium II at 500MHz @ 2.05v perfectly stable. It will also run a Celeron 300A @ 450MHz (for 1999 period correctness 😜 ).

Reply 11 of 19, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cpu support all comes down to board revisions. P2B will also support p3 no problem, as long as it is a 2.0v 100mhz fsb cpu (up to 600mhz?) any revision can do it, at the most it simply needs a bios update. The max. of p2-450 in the manual is just because there were no newer cpu's when they printed it.

Coppermine support (1,6 - 175v vcore) comes down to which revision you have as the right voltage regulators are on the later boards. These will even support the very low voltage of tualatin cpu's so you can run them with the cheaper or modified slotkets.

Great guide to which Asus board supports what cpu when it comes to board revisions: http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/p2b_p … pgrade_faq.html

Without the bias: A lot of brands made very good slot1 boards simply because the chipset was really good.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 12 of 19, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for all the info....

I wasnt aware of that with the motherboard....I may bump mine up to 500....or even 600 as I have a 100 FSB 600 PIII as well.

But I also may find a board just to build another one.....so all the info is greatly appreciated!

Reply 13 of 19, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

P3B-F is a solid choise. Comes with "2 ISA slots" flavor too.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 16 of 19, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These motherboards go for quite a hefty price outside the Intel board...

I know someone on the forum just bought one...waiting to see their views of it once they get it as I may buy one of those. I cant justify dropping 110+ dollars on one of the others right now....but man I'd like one!

Reply 17 of 19, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The lowkey version of the P2B is the P2-99, might not be going for quite so much yet... http://www.dansdata.com/P299.htm

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 18 of 19, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
kanecvr wrote:

The Abit BE6-II does not have that issue, and it's also a good overclocker. Mine runs a 333Mhz Pentium II at 500MHz @ 2.05v perfectly stable. It will also run a Celeron 300A @ 450MHz (for 1999 period correctness 😜 ).

Yes the be6-II is likely the best slot 1 overclocker out there. I hold the world recorded for the best OC of the 100fsb 750mhz Piii with one. Hit 1.28ghz with it. on air even.
http://valid.x86.fr/zbmiit
hwbot.org/submission/3336113_mr_horse_c ... 282.45_mhz

And hit 1.188ghz stable
hwbot.org/submission/3232199_mr_horse_w ... 4sec_680ms
I could have gone farther but the ram did not hold up.

Note: Mr. hose is a good friend of mine, we share the account on HWbot as we do alot of joint benching and one is not allowed to share hardware on HWbot. The older stuff is mostly stuff I bench and the c2 and newer stuff is mostly horse's.

Reply 19 of 19, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Smack2k wrote:

Look at motherboard revision. Rev >= 1.12 means it will take CopperMine CPU's. Otherwise, max is P3-600 Katmai. I have a P2B Rev 1.04 and I booted up P3-600 Katmai with no issues.

However, the restrictions are VRM based. Meaning if you have a slotket with a VRM (most famous is PowerLeap Tualatin upgrade), then no problem.

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASUS/P2B.html