VOGONS

Pentium D temp odd?

Topic actions

First post, by Bobolaf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am building up a Pentium D system out of all 2nd hand parts and am getting a bit confused with CPU temp. I got my self a Asus Rampage Extreme motherboard, Pentium D, Noctua Cooler.

With it all built up it was reading ~88C as soon as you turned the system on. I double checked the cooler was seated correct and double checked BIOS voltage settings and it was all ok. After scratching my head I thought it must have been a duff CPU and got another but this time it read ~90C at boot. So I stuck the other CPU back in and again it ran ~88C once again.

Being a little worried about how hot it was at idle I dropped the core voltage to 1.18v ( min is supposed to be 1.2v) and this dropped the temp to ~76C at boot. I then started using the system and it appears ok. I tried running 3DMark, Resident Evil benchmark, ZCPU stress test and it all ran fine.

I could not find any programs that would give me live temps so a few times after stressing the system for a hour or so I pressed reset and quickly looked at the BIOS and it always read the same ~76C no mater how long the system was on for or what it was doing?

Anyone have any idea whats going on? Thanks

Reply 1 of 21, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My bet would be a bad temp sensor. If it was really running that hot it would be throttling the CPU and you would notice slowdowns

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2 of 21, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I had a similar problem with a set of 5080s. Temp sensors do go bad.
Could be socket temp. Try cpuid hwmonitor and make sure your bios are upto date.

Reply 3 of 21, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is quite few options why you can have this issue.
1) Bad sensor
2) Too little TIM (or it didn't spread right/has air in few spots).
3) Failed push pins (they do go in, but they can't "Lock" in place or they don't exert any force on heatsink itself to force it against CPU).
4) Fan on heatsink doesn't work at 100% when it should (bearing is gone or cable is damaged).
5) Too small heatsink (if you are using low profile Intel BOX - you should know they can't handle a Pentium D CPU).
6) Dirty/Dusty heatsink and/or fan (not cleaned properly).

157143230295.png

Reply 4 of 21, by Bobolaf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the information 😁 hwmonitor works great! It showed loads of useful information. At stock voltage it shows around ~75C idle. Under light use like writing this its hovering around 80C and under stress test its around ~95C though there appears to be no CPU throttling. Do Pentium D actually throttle?

I gave the cooler a good clean though it looked fine but still used compressed air on it and alcohol to clean the bottom.

I got new TIM today just on the off chance my old tube had gone off ( don't know if that is even possible) I put a small pea blob in the middle and screwed the cooler down. I then removed it and it had covered to the hold heat spreader nicely.

I also double checked that the cooler was held firmly and not binding out. All appears OK.

I have replaced the fans with another set of Noctua fans I had.

I did a few google searches and it does appear the Noctua NH-U12P I am using is more than adequate but being a used Item I guess there could still be an issue with it.

After all that the temps stayed the same. The system so far is stable but I am after overclocking the system so not overly happy with the high number even if its just a faulty sensor. Does anyone know if the sensors are on the motherboard like most older systems or in the CPU like most newer systems with these?

Thanks again.

Reply 5 of 21, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Bobolaf wrote:

I got new TIM today just on the off chance my old tube had gone off ( don't know if that is even possible) I put a small pea blob in the middle and screwed the cooler down. I then removed it and it had covered to the hold heat spreader nicely.

Now that's a problem. Don't take the heat sink off after putting new tim on it. If you do take it off clean the cpu/heatsink and use new tim.

Reply 6 of 21, by Bobolaf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jade Falcon wrote:

Now that's a problem. Don't take the heat sink off after putting new tim on it. If you do take it off clean the cpu/heatsink and use new tim.

Sorry I should have clarified I applied it and them removed just to double check the interface on the cooler and CPU. Then I cleaned it all down again and reapplied new again. I was a bit worried the cooler may be bent or something like that so just wished to check the contact.

At they cost next to nothing I have ordered another CPU and if that fails new cooler or motherboard I guess. On the plus side Windows 10 and steam run great on a apparently very hot Pentium D. I am quite amazed how well you can game on such an old CPU.

Reply 9 of 21, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bobolaf wrote:

Does anyone know if the sensors are on the motherboard like most older systems or in the CPU like most newer systems with these?

In Hwmonitor, the CPU and MB (and GPU if applicable) will get separate "sections" with whatever temperature/fan speed/etc readouts that it's able to detect. If this temperature of yours is shown in the MB's "section", then perhaps this is a faulty sensor on the board. I forget if any Netburst chips have internal thermal sensors (Core 2 and up certainly do).

Perhaps post a screenshot of Hwmonitor running on your system?

Reply 10 of 21, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Pentium D for sure throttles if the temps are to high. I had a 945 on an Asus P5N motherboard for awhile with nothing but a crappy Intel HSF from one of those Pentium dual cores before I spent $20 on a replacement.

Cpu would hit 100% load just loading the Windows 7 desktop and it would noticeably bog down opening web pages. This was on a 10k drive with a GeForce 8800 backing it up. After the hsf swap it actually ran really well.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 11 of 21, by Bobolaf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SW-SSG wrote:

In Hwmonitor, the CPU and MB (and GPU if applicable) will get separate "sections" with whatever temperature/fan speed/etc readouts that it's able to detect. If this temperature of yours is shown in the MB's "section", then perhaps this is a faulty sensor on the board.

Interesting thanks for the information. This is a screen shot https://s1.postimg.org/91iamhtde7/Untitled.png if I understand what you have said correctly it does look like its the motherboard socket temp rather than the actual CPU temp. Oddly if I clear the data the max temp always re appears with that insanely high number.

Reply 12 of 21, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I should add that if heatsink get's warm at the bottom, contact with IHS is probably OK.
Pentium Ds don't have internal (per core) temp sensors.

EDIT : You are running Pentium XE 965 in there (a CPU-z screen shot would be nice) ?

157143230295.png

Reply 15 of 21, by Bobolaf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes 100%, They are just 3 pin noctua NF-P12 fans so no fancy speed control sadly. I may upgrade them to some higher flow PWM fans before I tray and over clock it. seeing as the 965 can drop to 12x multiplier I had hoped to give a 1333fsb a go.

I only have 4pin 12v plugged in at the moment as its just sat on my desk with a PSU I had sat about. I did not wanna spend on a good PSU until I know it all worked. Do you think its ok or are those temps an issue?

Reply 16 of 21, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1) Overclocking This CPU on crappy PSU ?
Someone likes to live on edge 😁
2) Rampage doesn't need PWM fan to control fan RPMs.
It has direct voltage regulation on most FAN connectors (and CPU_FAN is one of them) and it works regardless of fan type (Hardware Monitor - "Duty %" value).
3) 1333MHz FSB with x12 is fine.
I DO NOT recommend OC'ing this thing without proper PSU.
4) I recommend using a fan on VRM section (upper one, if you have a tower cooler).
5) VRMs can overheat before this CPU (if Vcore is high enough)

VRM throttling mini.png
Filename
VRM throttling mini.png
File size
486.99 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

^I used 38mm Delta 4k RPM fan with TRUE heatsink to cool this setting.
Low CPU temp on load = VRM throttling.
Oh, and that was on open bench 🤣

This CPU should throttle at 105C... I think (never had it throttle from high CPU temp).
If top of the heat sink is warm to touch your fan isn't good enough.
If heatpipes are hot to touch at top, your cooler isn't good enough.

PS. Your heatsink looks like this : LINK ?

Last edited by agent_x007 on 2017-10-29, 11:29. Edited 2 times in total.

157143230295.png

Reply 17 of 21, by Bobolaf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That is brilliant thank you =D wow 1620fsbthats impressive on a netburst CPU!

Yes that's my heatsink, it looks the exact same model.

I will have to get my self a good PSU and give it a go. I was going to give a seasonic platinum rated one a go as they appear to get good reviews.

As you appear to know a lot about this can I ask your advice on RAM. I have two sets of RAM to try with:

OCZ PC3 12800 6-8-6 @1.65v OCZ3PRP1600C6LV6GK ( 4 sticks of 2GB )
OCZ PC3 16000 9-9-9 @1.65v OCZ3BST2000LV4GK ( 4 sticks of 2GB )

But you appear to have to manually set them up and don't really know where to start on that. Don't suppose you can point me to an idiots guide on how to do this? Thanks

Reply 18 of 21, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did more than 1620MHz on my Rampage Extreme (same cooling) 😎

3DMark 03 XP (GTX 780 Ti) mini.png
Filename
3DMark 03 XP (GTX 780 Ti) mini.png
File size
457.03 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

PSUs : I used Corsair TX 750W (v1) for that throttle test, and OCZ ZS 750 for above test.

An idiot's guide for Rampage Extreme ?
Basic guide for any ASUS X48 platform should be a good start.
For specifics, you should read overclock.net thread about this board : LINK

157143230295.png