VOGONS

486 DX-33 question

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 73, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It would be nice to have some way to measure the temperature, but I would guess that the temperature would have been somewhere between 50-60C since I was only able to hold my finger there for few seconds.

Reply 61 of 73, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:

Some Intel DX33 CPUs seem to run hotter than others, one of the two extra I tested even locked up after 10-15 minuts or so at 40 MHz looping PCP bench.

The AMD DX40 (could not find an AMD DX33 eventhough I should have a few) was running like champ at 40 Mhz without heatsink looping PCP bench. It did get pretty hot but after I ended the test 20 minuts or so in the probe showed about 40 degrees but when pressing my thumb aginst the middle of the CPU I would say 50 degrees C is a better estimate.

This is why i just swap one fan, or heatsink + fan, and i will just not give a f**k about what is happen inside the case or temperatures.. As seems some people forget now is winter, and the temperature is under subzero, some days even -10, -15c, and in the hot summer they guy that did make the temperature test, will get +20c on top of now, or more depend on the temperature.....

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 62 of 73, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:

Some Intel DX33 CPUs seem to run hotter than others, one of the two extra I tested even locked up after 10-15 minuts or so at 40 MHz looping PCP bench.

Yes, but a 33->40 MHz overclock is quite significant, especially without any cooling whatsoever.
I take it all CPUs ran fine at 33 MHz?

Anyway, I hope we will never have to hear again that these CPus 'need a heatsink' (let alone a fan), they clearly don't. In fact, I'm surprised that even the DX50 doesn't need one. I thought the DX33 was the last one that was usually without a heatsink.
Anyway, if people want to put heatsinks and fans on their CPUs, that's up to them... Just don't go around spreading misinformation about CPUs 'needing' heatsinks and fans, when they clearly don't.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 63 of 73, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I never said it needs it. Only that there might be some advantages for having some cooling.
Same as voodoo 3 cards don't need a fan and have been designed to have only passive heatsink.

Reply 64 of 73, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Still there are couple of brands that says you need to add heatsink and fan, no matter the intel ones does not have that thing on them

Baoran wrote:

I never said it needs it. Only that there might be some advantages for having some cooling.
Same as voodoo 3 cards don't need a fan and have been designed to have only passive heatsink.

Every single Voodoo need upgrade of the existing heatsink, and even a fan, as they run hot as stoves, and pay attention even on idle..........

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 65 of 73, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, but a 33->40 MHz overclock is quite significant

That depends. For AMD chips it's next to nothing due to a smaller lithography.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 66 of 73, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I ran an Intel DX2-66 in my old packard bell in the mid to late 90s at 80mhz and never had a heatsink or fan on it. Though I do remember it had a fingerprint on the ceramic where I stupidly touched it once after it had been on for several hours. BTW...I had it that way for at least 3 years before I gave that system to my aunt. She used it until the early 2000s and only then did the CPU finally die. So it ran for nearly a decade at that speed with any active or passive cooling on it and likely finally died because my aunt was a heavy smoker and I am not. It was pretty crusty in there after it died on her and I came to fix it and said forget it and told her she needed a replacement at that point.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 67 of 73, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scali wrote:

For example, the Space Shuttle uses original Intel 8088 CPUs. They've been to the moon and back many times (talk about thermal stress), and still work fine, 40 years later.

Space Shuttle hasn't been flown since 2011 now and I'm pretty sure they never went to the Moon in one 😜

keropi wrote:

I am almost certain that the Zenith 486/66 I had back then did not have a heatsink...
Nowdays for piece of mind I but heatsinks even on 286 cpus as they get too hot for my taste. Is cooling needed? Doubt it since those machines work after decades but nowdays a piece of thermal tape and a heatsink are very cheap and easily found so why not? 🤣 🤣 🤣

Actually I had a couple of 286 motherboards that came with special socket covers which hold a tiny heatsink in place 😁

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 68 of 73, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Half-Saint wrote:

Space Shuttle hasn't been flown since 2011

Not sure how that's relevant.

Half-Saint wrote:

and I'm pretty sure they never went to the Moon in one 😜

Correct... They've not actually been to the moon, but they have been in space, and did re-entry many times. So the point about thermal stress stands, regardless.

Reply 69 of 73, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Scali wrote:

but they have been in space, and did re-entry many times. So the point about thermal stress stands, regardless.

No, because the inside of the Space Shuttle didn't get hot and cold all the time, not even when re-entering earth, as that's what the heat shield was for. All crucial systems were temperature-controlled and the components had probably less thermal stress than any office PC on earth... They were built to still work when the temperature controll failed, however.

Reply 70 of 73, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:

They were built to still work when the temperature controll failed, however.

And fail they did: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STS-1#Mission_anomalies

Reply 71 of 73, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Half-Saint wrote:
Space Shuttle hasn't been flown since 2011 now and I'm pretty sure they never went to the Moon in one :P […]
Show full quote
Scali wrote:

For example, the Space Shuttle uses original Intel 8088 CPUs. They've been to the moon and back many times (talk about thermal stress), and still work fine, 40 years later.

Space Shuttle hasn't been flown since 2011 now and I'm pretty sure they never went to the Moon in one 😜

keropi wrote:

I am almost certain that the Zenith 486/66 I had back then did not have a heatsink...
Nowdays for piece of mind I but heatsinks even on 286 cpus as they get too hot for my taste. Is cooling needed? Doubt it since those machines work after decades but nowdays a piece of thermal tape and a heatsink are very cheap and easily found so why not? 🤣 🤣 🤣

Actually I had a couple of 286 motherboards that came with special socket covers which hold a tiny heatsink in place 😁

Something like this?

286emo.jpg
Filename
286emo.jpg
File size
1.65 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Picture of my 286 motherboad with the original heatsink. Got it for free and doesn't work because of too much corrosion, but I still had the picture.

Reply 72 of 73, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Baoran wrote:

Something like this?

I used to have a 286 with this kind of cooler back in the early-mid '90s. (I know I was late, it was all I could afford.)

It also had a 287 and I'm quite sure the FPU could have used a heat sink too.

Now I see that 286 chips can run pretty hot too. When I tested my plastic LCC ones I found that Harris 16-25 and AMD 16MHz pieces are the exceptions, they were much cooler, more like lukewarm. They were probably made on a newer process.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 73 of 73, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Scali wrote:

Just look at the heatsink they put on the 486DX2-66... Just a tiny heatsink, no fan required. And that one was 6W.

Not to mention far from ideal thermal dissipation between heatsink and CPU.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.