VOGONS

First post, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i have this question for ages
back in the day there was no good ram information on the stick
hell in some you dont even know how much megs does the ram stick have.

in some you see an edo sticker. but thats not found in other edo sticks.

so lets suppose you see a ram stick online. how do you know of it is edo or fpm? if someone removed the edo sticker

asking this because there is a ton of 486 mobos that only work with fpm

Reply 1 of 16, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cga.8086 wrote:
i have this question for ages back in the day there was no good ram information on the stick hell in some you dont even know how […]
Show full quote

i have this question for ages
back in the day there was no good ram information on the stick
hell in some you dont even know how much megs does the ram stick have.

in some you see an edo sticker. but thats not found in other edo sticks.

so lets suppose you see a ram stick online. how do you know of it is edo or fpm? if someone removed the edo sticker

asking this because there is a ton of 486 mobos that only work with fpm

if googleing the part number yeilds no results or mixed results

then you simply have to take a KNOWN fpm motherboard and a known edo motherboard , and try the stick to see if they work and what size they are.

I just recently tried to add some ram to a 386n which uses fpm ram , only to find out that out of the dozens of stick I have ALL of them were edo and none where fpm except the one original stick in the machine.

Reply 2 of 16, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a P100 that tells you in the BIOS which mode the RAM is operating in so maybe that's an option if you have a board that can support both. Only drawback is being a Pentium it needs two matching RAM sticks, so if you only have one stick you want to check...

Probably looking up part numbers on the chips is the most reliable. That will tell you the capacity, speed and operating mode.

Reply 5 of 16, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lazibayer wrote:

A lot of Socket 5/7 boards will report the memory type in each row.

This is my method too.
The part number way looked promising but then I took my FPM and EDO boxes out of the cupboard and I saw that either it doesn't work or I made a lot of mistakes when I sorted my SIMM sticks 😵

Last edited by alvaro84 on 2017-11-04, 13:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 6 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lazibayer wrote:

A lot of Socket 5/7 boards will report the memory type in each row.

And the FIC PA-2002 and PA-2005 should be able to run single SIMMs, making it easier and perhaps more convenient when testing lots of unknown SIMMs without having to use several different boards due to compatibility problems.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 16, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You may still be able to order the older memory testers at http://www.memorytesters.com/products.htm
Not sure if the 72-pin SIMM modules (no shown on the site anymore) are able to discriminate between FPM and EDO, or if they just count the RAM quantity and test the response time. Last I checked with them, which was about 2 years ago, they still had some older units for sale.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 10 of 16, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cga.8086 wrote:

ther must be a like 50 different makers
that code only works for that maker

I assume you didn't read the thread BastlerMike linked? Apparently it works for many manufacturers.

Reply 13 of 16, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cga.8086 wrote:

Wow, thanks, it helped with some of the more cryptic pieces. Now I've narrowed down the uncertain set to one pair that was probably in the wrong box. This pair goes to the TX board, let's see what it says.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 14 of 16, by Kubik

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The quick method I use when sorting out PS/2 memory sticks is:
- first, throw away everything that doesn't have "6 pins in a group". The chips on the picture above have 24 pins which means this is either 16MB (single side) or 32MB (double side) SIMM. I don't care about anything with 20 pins only
- then test them with MEMTEST in one of my systems

I don't care much if they're EDO or FPM. So far, most systems are happy with EDO (including old Macs or Atari ST). However, a quick method is to check the last two digits of the chip type. FPM typically have 00 here, while EDO is 04. Sometimes, this specifies refresh type, and if you see other numbers than 00 and 04, you'd better check the chip's spec.

Reply 15 of 16, by RiP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kubik wrote:
The quick method I use when sorting out PS/2 memory sticks is: - first, throw away everything that doesn't have "6 pins in a gr […]
Show full quote

The quick method I use when sorting out PS/2 memory sticks is:
- first, throw away everything that doesn't have "6 pins in a group". The chips on the picture above have 24 pins which means this is either 16MB (single side) or 32MB (double side) SIMM. I don't care about anything with 20 pins only
- then test them with MEMTEST in one of my systems

I don't care much if they're EDO or FPM. So far, most systems are happy with EDO (including old Macs or Atari ST). However, a quick method is to check the last two digits of the chip type. FPM typically have 00 here, while EDO is 04. Sometimes, this specifies refresh type, and if you see other numbers than 00 and 04, you'd better check the chip's spec.

w00t big thanks 😎

Reply 16 of 16, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Problem is that that sort of rule-of-thumb is vendor-specific. It's better to look up the nomenclature of the chip vendor involved:

Here's a good place to start
http://idhw.com/textual/guide/noin_ram_chip.html

Frequently a 0 somewhere indicates FP and a 3,4, 5, 6 or even 9 indicates EDO, but the exact place can differ and sometimes higher numbers can be used for FP too (particularly the 3 is troublesome), so if the SIMM isn't in the list already posted above (http://fthain.github.io/dram/), go to idhw and look up which position and which numbers to look for.