VOGONS

First post, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You might have seen me post over in the Retro Activity thread: What retro activity did you get up to today? and/OR on facebook, or over at /r/retrobattlestations/

I've been dicking around all day and have more pictures of the haul!

Album #1 (Apple II) >>> https://imgur.com/a/81wCm

There is also a box of boring mice and keyboard cables.

I'm going to get started on the IBM stuff later tonight and tomorrow. TL;DR at bottom.

The person I got this all from I will call John. Not their real name, but it makes telling a story better. Last month, there was a Craigslist listing advertising a massive amount of IBM parts for like $2100 with promises you could "double your money". His pictures were less than flattering as the first pic was a color cga monitor with its plastic bashed to all hell. I didn't have that kind of money, so I forgot about it. 3 weeks pass, the add is still there. Long email chain later, we come to an agreement. He already sold a couple of the cpu units and needed to get rid of the rest to make room in his house. To my amazement he was willing to let me have everything on the promise that I pay him a percentage of everything I get for it. INORITE? The surprises don't end there, because when I get to his home, he tells me about another equal pile of Apple II stuff I can have for the same deal. SHIT YEA! He even had 2 helpers there and we had my pickup truck And John's car loaded in like 10 minutes. John then followed me to my house, and helped me unload everything into my garage. Seriously! Who does this? I felt like kissing the guy, but it would REALLY have been awkward for him.

I would REALLY appreciate some pointers and tips when it comes to testing all this. I mean maybe not the floppy cards, if I sell a bad one, I'll just ship another. I'm thinking of getting some power resistors so I can test the power supplies under load. Tested units sell better.

Speaking of selling. I will be offloading 95% of everything I got. It was part of the deal I made to get these parts. Thankfully I'm paying John a percentage, so I have no obligation to jack up prices. That said, NOTHING IS FOR SALE. yet. I don't want to give ebay 10% so once I am ready I will take offers (on another site, probably VCFED). What is left will go to ebay. I'm thinking of keeping a few choice pieces for myself and paying a percentage of market value to John. I do want to "pimp out" an Apple II for myself. ^.^ This can all change, nothing is really set in stone yet. I just want to get a proper inventory before I move forward.

Tonight/tomorrow I have about 5 boxes of cards, 3 boxes of power supplies to get through. These look mostly to be IBM PC/XT/AT era stuff.

TL;DR - Got a truck load of PC/XT/AT & Apple II stuff on consignment. John (fake name) is a real stand up guy, go look at the pictures. Also nothing is for sale, yet. More to come.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1 of 28, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

UPDATE:

Got all the loose IBM PC parts bagged and tagged:

ALBUM >>> https://imgur.com/a/vdwS2

next up are the IBM chassis, several 486 desktop cases, and about 30 hard drives.

OI VEY!

Reply 2 of 28, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Goodness.

I see SIPPs!

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 5 of 28, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh I see a "hicard 2" expansion card. I've got one as well. Buuut I couldn't find how to use it so far 🙁

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 10 of 28, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dude.

So impressive! Nice haul, man! I'd love to one day get an Apple IIe up and running. It was my first computer and old faithful took care of my school work and gaming from 7th grade all the way through two years of university. What's that, 8 yrs? Unheard of anymore to have the same computer as your main system for 8 yrs!

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 11 of 28, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fantastic haul, luckybob! This will keep you busy indeed during the coming winter months 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 28, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

Fantastic haul, luckybob! This will keep you busy indeed during the coming winter months 😁

my friends will goto a bar, get smashed, try to hookup with anything that can fog a mirror, usually fail, and complain about life.

me? I do this:

YvQqUxLm.jpg

all told ~240 dram chips. about 4 processors (z80,8080,6502) some support chips...

futurama-new-years.gif

Reply 13 of 28, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, nice haul! Good on you for saving & seeing it all off to good homes. You should be able to get some decent coin for some of it.
Those Apple II Z80 cards are neat. Never had an A2 but I love the variety of add-ons that were available on that platform - nobody knew what people would want yet, so the product strategy was just "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks." 😜 A bit like the Arduino & R Pi scenes now.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 14 of 28, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is pretty interesting. This the second large haul IBM/Apple thread I've seen online, both within 2 weeks of each other and both with similar stories. But the machines in both hauls are both very different (other one's machines are in a lot better shape/running). Very cool stuff though! 😎

Reply 16 of 28, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

why do I feel like i'm being stalked?

🤣. I've been a member here for years, but haven't looked around in a while. 😎

I realize I have a bit of a pet peeve like you do--original monitors with systems--I realize I don't like to see the original monitor separated from the original system even when they weren't even related, like a Gold Star monitor on a DTK system. Weird, but I guess we all have our quirks. 😎

So is this the same haul? Because I'm pretty confused if it is since the pictures are drastically different. 😕

Reply 17 of 28, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

nope, same pics. I'm going to start testing things here. I have like 5 color apple IIe monitors, and 4 5153's. 2 are wrecked beyond saving, and the other two are... passable.

Reply 18 of 28, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Gotcha. I thought it was too good to be true that 2 huge lots were both this similar.

Lots of work to be done for sure. And be sure to let us know what parts are available as even the parts of systems will be useful for some of our own restorations. 😎

Reply 19 of 28, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Early Christmas for you I rekon!
spose the guy did say in the add, but it is mostly good stuff, not the usual haul of pci modems p4 oem stuff and semi recent hardware most of the bigger hauls include these days.
that apple stuff alone will pay for next years retro goodness!