VOGONS

First post, by skyline486

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I want to record the booting process from BIOS to OS using a VGA to S-Video for the video source and a capture card with a S-Video to another computer.
Does most ISA video card have tv-out capability?
Or is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks so much!

Reply 2 of 26, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The earliest consumer cards I remember having commonly available TV out on were PCI Rage II, but ATI might have done some pro cards before that.

Typically however, the TV out doesn't happen unless turned on by the drivers or OS, the only cards I know will do TV out from power on are Geforce 3s with the TV out option.

However, if you really want to get into it, this site is best resource for getting older cards outputting to TV, even then BIOS may not show, and you may need certain chipsets that are capable of TV timings, Cirrus Logic ones always seemed to work for me... http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/vga2tv/cindex.html

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 26, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote:

Typically however, the TV out doesn't happen unless turned on by the drivers or OS, the only cards I know will do TV out from power on are Geforce 3s with the TV out option.

That's not true (at least from my experience), example: Voodoo3 3000 will output signal when booting. I had a S3 card back in 1999 that has TV Out and it also had TV Out from boot, I gave that card to a friend that didn't had a monitor, only a TV, he used it to play games, we installed Windows on it only using the TV, we changed some settings in BIOS using the TV as the display. It was awesome back then 😀

Reply 4 of 26, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A Lot of ISA EGA cards also had a Composite out. I don't think that the output quality will be all that good.

In general, you would want to capture the VGA output.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 6 of 26, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Isa EGA rarely had any composite out SIGNAL, they only had composite ports, that were routed to expansion port.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 7 of 26, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ISA video capture or MPEG accelerator cards can have TV out, but usually that only works when the drivers have been loaded - i.e. useless to use during the boot process.

Why don't you just get a VGA capture card for the other computer?

Reply 8 of 26, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
fitzpatr wrote:

A Lot of ISA EGA cards also had a Composite out.

No, they don't! RCA connectors on EGA cards had no function, they were for add-on cards only. Of course, there were probably composite out add-on cards made, but I've never seen one.

Reply 9 of 26, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ATI EGA Wonder series can be configured to output a composite output - I have tested it. Works only in low-res modes as expected.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 10 of 26, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've used a CGA hooked to a Commodore 1702, through composite, but was unsure if that did a bit wider sync range than normal NTSC signal.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 11 of 26, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

ATI EGA Wonder series can be configured to output a composite output - I have tested it. Works only in low-res modes as expected.

Do all EGA Wonder can output composite, or witch versions and modifications. Because some of them are VGA Wonder based.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 12 of 26, by skyline486

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kanecvr wrote:

I don't know of any ISA cards with TV out capability. You'll need to capture the output from the VGA connector.

In this video he is able to record the boot process using an ISA video card with VGA to S-Video adapter to a capture card.

After looking on eBay for VGA to S-Video adapter and most sellers mentioned the video card has to be support TV output through VGA port to work.

That's why I'm curious is any ISA video card have this ability or is the TV output required to work.

The record quality of the video is quite low, I wish there is a way to do it in high quality.

Last edited by skyline486 on 2017-11-07, 18:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 26, by skyline486

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
yawetaG wrote:

ISA video capture or MPEG accelerator cards can have TV out, but usually that only works when the drivers have been loaded - i.e. useless to use during the boot process.

Why don't you just get a VGA capture card for the other computer?

Will something like this work as a VGA capture card?

Reply 14 of 26, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyberdyne wrote:
keropi wrote:

Do all EGA Wonder can output composite, or witch versions and modifications. Because some of them are VGA Wonder based.

I can speak only of the true EGA Wonder ones up until the EGA WONDER 800 (not the vga-wonder based as I don't have any) : they have a switch so you can set one rca port to be composite output and they also have 3 pins on the pcb that is the composite output connector for the IBM portable , just like the original IBM CGA so you can upgrade a portable with the EGA Wonder.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 15 of 26, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

I can speak only of the true EGA Wonder ones up until the EGA WONDER 800 (not the vga-wonder based as I don't have any) : they have a switch so you can set one rca port to be composite output and they also have 3 pins on the pcb that is the composite output connector for the IBM portable , just like the original IBM CGA so you can upgrade a portable with the EGA Wonder.

Wooooooo.... Ima look for one of those so I can have a hot rod PC Portable with that, a V20 and go faster stripes.

Reply 16 of 26, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ check out page 17 here: www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/EGA%20 ... 01988).pdf
keep in mind that this is valid for EGA Wonders up to 800 - not 800+

Reply 17 of 26, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Coincidentally, I just got a VGA to S-video kit today, and that's how I intend to capture video from my older systems, as I am NOT interested in spending a couple hundred bucks on a superior solution. The real pain is, the system I would be capturing from is across the room from the system that would be performing the capturing, and VGA cables are only so long. I'll have to move stuff around to make room.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 18 of 26, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yah, I could scrape together a grandtech gez-1000 and an S-vid capable capture card that I presume would do the biz. Though TBH not sure the grandtech works yet, came in a bag of bits from a thrift last month.

Would have thunk a 5m s-video cable would be fairly easy to find though.