VOGONS

First post, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have opportunity to buy this but not sure what model it is if it's even worth my time. Just seeing if I can get some help on the specs? The owner doesn't know anything about it. Comes with the monitor with speakers attached to the side.

IMG_1610.JPG
Filename
IMG_1610.JPG
File size
1.37 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_1611.JPG
Filename
IMG_1611.JPG
File size
32.38 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 3 of 19, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No stickers on top she says. I know it is one of the PB Multimedia PC era rigs but not sure which one. I thought most of them had AMD processors though but this one has an Intel according to the sticker.

Reply 4 of 19, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This computer has a PCI modem installed at the top slot and has pre-MMX pentium. According to http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/pbmb1.htm it's most likely a 850. 992 has similar motherboard but I couldn't find a picture of 992's chassis.

Reply 5 of 19, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nevermind my last reply. She wasn't sure what I meant but I explained it again and she found the sticker. It is a 5951 model. Now my initial google foo-ing has not turned up any results for info on this machine. Does anyone know where I can find info on it?

IMG_1613.JPG
Filename
IMG_1613.JPG
File size
44.46 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 6 of 19, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not sure exactly what model it is, but there are some clues as to what era it is from:

• Mouse and Keyboard ports are not color coordinated--just a sticker.
  • VGA is built-in, which only happened after Intel started making most of the motherboards during the era (P2+?)
  • It has a joystick/midi port which indicates integrated audio as well, another built-in found on Intel boards of a particular era
  • It has a serial and parallel port as well as USB. This means is has to be after the p166 era as usb 1.0 was just starting at that time (from what I recall from my memory of that time)

What does the windows and intel stickers say at the bottom of the front of the case, as well as that red sticker? I'm sure those would be great clues.

Reply 7 of 19, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It looks like a 1998-1998 budged model. Either a super socket 7 K6-II machine or a celeron. The super-7 used a mATX ALi Aladdin motherboards with no AGP slot and on board video (usually a low end ATi card). The celeron used a socket 370 motherboard with on-board video and sound. Pretty slow machines for their time, but should make for a nice retro PC.

Reply 8 of 19, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The internal VGA adapter could be an ATI Rage II with 2MB of ram like in the LGR video... Could be that the motherboard would be the same, only with a different processor, memory, harddisk..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 9 of 19, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found it!
http://web.archive.org/web/19991013114622/htt … dels/mm5951.asp
http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/880.htm
Well it's a Celeron... I thought the bottom left logo was a pre-MMX Pentium because it lacks the MMX banner...

Reply 10 of 19, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You da man lazibayer! Ok so if I'm not mistaken the monitor in this package is quite sought after right? Does anyone have some info on it?

IMG_1614.JPG
Filename
IMG_1614.JPG
File size
120.64 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 11 of 19, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not sure if that monitor is sought after or not, but I remember it. The speakers on each side are actually detachable and have their own power supply. They basically just 'hang' on the monitor.

As far as the monitor itself, it wasn't the greatest, but not he very worst either. I think it could do up to 1024x768 interlaced. It should stay as part of the system--keep the family together. 😉

Reply 12 of 19, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do you all think this is the same monitor as the one in the pic I posted above?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Packard-Bell … uQAAOSwuAVWx4bA

Reply 14 of 19, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you all for your help! I can't decide whether or not to get it. It seems the monitor is worth some money but I don't think the actual pc itself is worth anything and I already have computers of that era that can do the same thing.

Reply 15 of 19, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fsmith2003 wrote:

It seems the monitor is worth some money

What is the going rate for it? There aren't many Packard Bell monitors that have been sold individually on ebay right now.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 16 of 19, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
fsmith2003 wrote:

Thank you all for your help! I can't decide whether or not to get it. It seems the monitor is worth some money but I don't think the actual pc itself is worth anything and I already have computers of that era that can do the same thing.

I wouldn't at that price. It wasn't anything exceptional like Sony Trinitron FDs or beautiful Nanoa and Eizo monitors from that era--those would be worth that type of money imo.

If it was to make a system 'complete', it might be worth it, but aside from that it's nothing special at all.

Reply 17 of 19, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CkRtech wrote:
fsmith2003 wrote:

It seems the monitor is worth some money

What is the going rate for it? There aren't many Packard Bell monitors that have been sold individually on ebay right now.

Here's a comparative monitor that blows the out of the water for about the same price. If my rusty memory recalls correctly, this was a pc mag editors choice a few years in a row and the description about being the sharpest most perfect monitor ever is dead-on--I own the trinitron version of this monitor and it's still beautiful to look at:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nanao-17-inch-Color- … D-/131811156061

Reply 18 of 19, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The monitor and whole Packard Bell package is something I could probably get fairly cheap if I wanted it. Just not sure its anything I need for any reason if they are not anything special.

Reply 19 of 19, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
fsmith2003 wrote:

The monitor and whole Packard Bell package is something I could probably get fairly cheap if I wanted it. Just not sure its anything I need for any reason if they are not anything special.

You could get it just to save it and restore and it then pass it onto a grateful new owner. 😎 Otherwise, a system like that gets chucked into the garage where mice, rats, bugs, spiders have their way with it and then some collector sadly picks it up for free (if it doesn't go to the trash), and then has the hard task to try to bring it back.