VOGONS

First post, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, I recently purchased a huge pile of older motherboards (26 in total) and just today decided to take a closer look at the seemingly boring old baby-AT boards that came in the lot.

To my surprise, four of the boards were Asus P5S-B boards. One was damaged by corrosion, but the other three were in great condition. I see that these boards are not just your every day baby-AT Pentium-focused boards. From my research here they are apparently Super Socket 7 ready, with support for pretty much anything that AMD or Intel built for the socket (and some Cyrix). They don't have AGP slots, but they have integrated SIS 6326 AGP video, which is probably okay for Windows 98 and DOS games. They also have integrated ESS Solo-1 audio, which is also a fairly well reviewed audio chip around here. The problem is, being an AT style board (with an ATX power option of course), all of the VGA and audio connections require a separate breakout board or header connection.

I know most would probably just opt for a decent PCI graphics card and the PCI or ISA sound card of their choosing, but if I wanted to get the integrated devices on one of these boards hooked up, how could I go about doing it without the original accessories?

I also have an unmarked Matsonic MS-5025S baby-AT board (also has ATX power connector) that has integrated "SoundPro HT1869v+ PCI" audio. It too has a header for the onboard audio, but I doubt its the same pinout as the Asus boards.

Anyone have any experience trying to use onboard audio\vga on AT boards?

Here is the manual for the P5S-B... but it doesn't give a pinout for the audio connector. http://oldschooldaw.com/asus/1999/p5sb-101.pdf

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 2 of 2, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote:

but if I wanted to get the integrated devices on one of these boards hooked up, how could I go about doing it without the original accessories?

There is a Asus VGA bracket on eBay at the moment. Now if Asus used the same pinout for each motherboard like that, I do not know.

Working from scratch, it is going to take a bit of time. You'll have to map your pins and build a bracket. Seems like a huge time sink just to get onboard VGA/sound. Even if you find someone that has your board and the VGA/audio bracket that can map it out for you (or you find a pinout resource online), you'll still have to build a bracket.

How bad do you want to DIY it?

Hmm... maybe the mobo pins walk the HD15 pins. https://www.pccables.com/VGA-PORT-HD15F-PORT-To-IDC16.html

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video