VOGONS

First post, by Goose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I've finally decided to build myself a proper DOS pc for gaming. I used to build a lot back in the late 90s while working at the local independent computer shop. In fact my quest for freeing up more base memory was the catalyst for my IT career in the first place.

At the moment I am using an oldish Dell case which I've have to modify to fit the motherboard. It's not a perfect fit as some of the PCI slots don't have cut outs available so I want to find a modern case. I'm looking for a black case to fit a baby AT with an ATX PSU, one 3.5 FDD, one CD drive and 6 rise card slots (4 ISA, 3 PCI, of which one is shared). Beyond the power and HDD LEDs I don't much care for other illuminations. I would like the smallest possible case to fit this in. Are there any suggested cases available in the UK (or Europe) that would take a baby AT without modification or minimal modification.

Currently:
Asus PCI/I-486SP3G
DX4-100 (I think it's an AMD but I haven't looked yet)
Dual CF HDD
Gotek FDD
CD
SB16 CT4170
Currently an AT PSU but waiting for a cable to arrive.
MS-DOS 6.22

Reply 1 of 14, by Maleckii

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I only know of one place that still sells AT cases new online, and they're based in the US: http://baber.com/coop/oe/at_cases_motherboards_keyboards.htm

Also surely you mean an AT PSU, not an ATX PSU? I don't think that motherboard works with an ATX supply.

Your best bet is probably going to be old whitebox cases from ebay.

Reply 2 of 14, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Maleckii wrote:

I only know of one place that still sells AT cases new online, and they're based in the US: http://baber.com/coop/oe/at_cases_motherboards_keyboards.htm

Also surely you mean an AT PSU, not an ATX PSU? I don't think that motherboard works with an ATX supply.

You can get ATX to AT power supply adapters. There are even ones that add -5v if needed.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 14, by Goose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks. Those cases just look too dated. I want something that I can put next to my new(ish) PC and not look out of place. Unfortunately the I drilled the holes ever so slightly out of place and the cards now sit at a small angle. I am going to continue the build and see how it comes out. I’m trying to integrate the gotek into the case to use the existing USB port. I don’t actually need the extra PCI slots as I’ve found an ISA NIC so have nothing else to add.

I have used an ATX to AT converter as it makes the power switch easier to integrate and the new PSUs are a little quieter.

I have also remove the cpu fan and mounted a larger, newer and quieter fan above the cpu. Not pretty on the inside but less....whiny.

Will post some pics when done.

Reply 5 of 14, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use mATX cases for my AT ISA 486 boards, because no more than 4 cards are required for full system, and VLB cardas are in the end always, i just make my own new ATX sytle metal sheet fo AT keyboard hole and some other stuff. And i do not use any skrew holes, just those old scohool plastic separators, and the motherboard is fixed thanks to ISA and VLB cards 🤣

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 6 of 14, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For ATX cases, I can confirm that at least these two, will take an AT motherboard physically.

A-Open HX45:
hx45.jpg

A-Open HQ45:
000152-01.jpg

Then you need to figure out a way of dealing with the power connector to the motherboard.
Those early 45 cases from A-Open, have a beefy (heavy in weight) PSU with a -5volt rail (White wire)
Personally, I find the cheap ATX-AT converters from china really inferior, yet they are cheap.
The good part of them china adaptors, is that all wires on the P8/P9 plugs are present.
So you can actually just get an ATX-Psu extender or 20-to-24 wire adaptor, and use the female for a little
do-it-yourself project. Just a matter of cutting wires and make you'r own ATX-to-AT converter.

These are the parts that you need to buy:
12-201-001-01.jpg
20Pin-ATX-to-2-Port-6Pin-AT-PSU-Converter-Power-Cable-Cord-20cm-for-286-386.jpg

The power button are just the green wire on the ATX side, shorted with a black wire on the ATX side.
For that, I just bought a push button, that stays on, and mounted it in a 5'25 inch bay cover.
Though you can mount that button or switch or something, anywere on the ATX case.

If you do decide to make your own, then make shure that you use all the ATX Psu wires for the motherboard power.
I have found, that in some cases, the system will get unstable, if you choose only to use a few and not all.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 7 of 14, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can also confirm that those late 90's and early 00's cases from AOpen (actually they only produced a couple chassis, but assembled them with different fronts, which explains why so many models exist) do support baby AT motherboards (they have markings in the cases for the various types of boards), but you do need an AT style I/O shield.

Reply 8 of 14, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would guess that on 99,9% of all ATX cases that do support AT boards. It is written inside on the plate were the motherboard will be mounted. Basically making it pretty easy to find a case, unless of course they are all scrapped in the area were one searches for a case. One just need to look after the markings inside an ATX case.

Reply 9 of 14, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All proper ATX cases have AT board support, but in my instance only three screws matched up. My case also had welded on standoffs I had to insulate off with tape to prevent shorting, and I also put some wadded up pieces of paper underneath the edges of the board so that it wouldn't flex as much. The power supply is AT, and it has no I/O shield. It's not a pretty solution, with the power switch wrapped in electrical tape, but it does work, and fine at that.

I actually considered when I was thinking of buying a new case for my modern PC to stick my 486 in there as a matter of extreme lols, and it would have fit if I hadn't kept that case for my modern machine.

Reply 10 of 14, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dremel tool and an un-cut I/O shield issues. It's a sin to let dust bunnies take up nesting inside of the case. I prematurely bought a blank shield and found the original I/O shield for my first computer in a random box in the basement before it arrived from Russia. Ah well, spare parts for the spare parts throne. Titanium drill bits are also your friend, if you need to drill a hole for a standoff/jackscrew.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 11 of 14, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just realised, that I forgot to add a picture of the ATX-AT converter that I have made.
This is only one of many. Actually the first. Sorry for the crappy build quality. 🤣

ATX to AT Converter.jpg
Filename
ATX to AT Converter.jpg
File size
73.69 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 12 of 14, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've had luck with Gumtree here in the UK for old cases/computers, but it is a waiting game.

Reply 13 of 14, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i just found a HX45 ATX case with a Slot 1 440lx board in it just recently

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS

Reply 14 of 14, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Maleckii wrote:

Nice cases.