VOGONS

First post, by BLockOUT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

maybe this is a stupid question. but if prices of old PCs socket3 motherboards and cache rams are so expensive now, even AT cases are expensive, and at power suppy are not built anymorore. to play retro DOS games.

why people keep building them and buying if that can be easly replaced with a pentium 3 with isa slot for soundblaster16. Or a pentium1 130mhz that is socket7.

If i remember correctly .. i had a compaq pc and it was like pentium1 100mhz and i was able to play most of the DOS games that were the best.

also the best 486 cpu equals like a pentium75

also S3 PCI videocards provide great compatibility and you dont have to find an ISa or Vesa videocard.

I dont understand why. ? I might know too little about compatibility?

Reply 1 of 2, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Part of the matter is that it's a LOT easier to clock down a 486 for speed reliant games than it is a P1 or P3.

Another matter is that the Socket 3 parts are expensive for a reason. People love them and they are awesome systems. It's expensive, but that's just because there's a large demand.

The next matter is that people DO do this. I know people who run DOS based Slot 1 machines, and I have Windows 98 SE on a Socket 8 and Slot 1 PPro and P3, both with ISA sound cards. I also have a 486 DX4-120. In 1997ish, DOS was still something people ran on their PCs, and there was still halfway decent app support.

I mean Windows 9x is DOS at it's core, so a lot of people with these configs will often run some later DOS games on their PCs. I play Tomb Raider 1 and Duke 3D on my Socket 8 machine, and it plays them quite well.

Reply 2 of 2, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BLockOUT wrote:

also the best 486 cpu equals like a pentium75

giphy.gif

The best 486s outperform the i7 8700K.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif