VOGONS

First post, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Has anybody ever seen anything like this? It looks as if something got behind the screen, or some layer isn't "stuck" as it should be. Could it be repairable?

Attachments

• WP_20171112_001.jpg
    Filename
    WP_20171112_001.jpg
    File size
    1.12 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 1 of 5, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting. I picked up my family's old Compaq Contura 4/25c a couple of months ago, and the screen has some similar damage to it. I haven't been able to power it up because there is an open somewhere in the DC cable leading from the AC adapter. I imagine it is going to look somewhat similar to yours once it gets power.

Sadly the barrel replacement I ordered isn't the right size, so I am not sure when I will pick that project back up.

As for the screen repair, I think the LCD has probably leaked a bit due to age/temperature/humidity. I imagine the only option is to find a replacement. What would be awesome is if there is a more modern replacement of that size and resolution that could be used as a more foolproof/futureproof and reliable replacement (possibly using less power as well).

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 2 of 5, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The liquid crystal looks OK. If it was leaking, you would have dark spots in a liquid shape. It looks like all the pixels are working in your photo. Maybe something got between the backlight snd the LCD panel, that could be cleaned out?

Reply 3 of 5, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good point. Maybe psychz (the two of us, really) have a problem with some glue that held a screen protection layer to the actual screen that has deteriorated? That might be very fixable, indeed.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 4 of 5, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CkRtech wrote:

Good point. Maybe psychz (the two of us, really) have a problem with some glue that held a screen protection layer to the actual screen that has deteriorated? That might be very fixable, indeed.

That would make sense. Reminds me of the early colour CRT televisions that had the safety glass glued to the front. Over time, the glue deteriorates and you end up with a cataract-like obstruction.

Reply 5 of 5, by BearOso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It’s LCD delamination, the separation of the polarizing film from the front of the panel.

If you’re able to disassemble it and the layer is loose enough you may be able to simply peel away the polarizer by getting a hold on it from one of the bubbles. Then you could purchase a new polarizing film somewhere, cut it and apply to the panel and it would be good as new.

However, the process is quite delicate, and you may have to moisten the panel to remove extra glue. You also need to find the polarization angle of your current one and orient a new one correctly.

I’d recommended watching a bunch of videos and reading lots about the process before attempting it.