Go-Tek or buy blank floppy's

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FORMAT A: /U

And cotton swab with alcohol for the heads.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 21 of 24, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd buy one, but I have a ton of new floppies from when I was cleaning out K-Marts and thrift stores at the dawn of the CDR and flash drive age. As far as what to put into one of those drives to keep it from looking like an obtrusive piece of crap, there exist extremely low profile flash drives that only protrude a few millimeters from the base of the USB port they're plugged into, so that may be an option for semi-permanent installation.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 22 of 24, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well i think ill get one, but my idea to hide it is a little diffrent. I've got a fur sure dead 3.5 drive, the pcb caught fire, but the front bezel is fine, and im sure i can find other front bezels if i get more down the line.

Idea is to place bezel over GoTek and use strong but removeable tape on the side to hold it so its remoeable, and then use a clear peice of plastic to route the GoTek light to the bezels light area or something like that, it should keep the look but have the modern usefulness 🤣

Reply 23 of 24, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you want to set it further back in the bay, you could just drill new mounting holes (not in the drive).

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 24 of 24, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Neither! Everything gets networked in my house!
But for boot disks I went with Gotek. You can run software on newer PC's without FDD support at all, nicer then USB FDD IMHO
(and I know HxC doesn't need that but I'm not paying that much when I justu se it as a standard 1.44mb drive)