VOGONS

First post, by Zuon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't seem to find much info online. Maybe I'm not doing it right. I just want to make sure I can find a HDD that's the right size and type (SATA vs IDE). And I'm sure it's not an issue, but if there are any RPM limitations, it would be nice to find that info too.

Is anyone more knowledgeable than me able to help me out? I'm much less experienced with older computers than I am with modern machines.

Reply 2 of 7, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As oeuvre said above, any 7mm-9.5mm 2.5" IDE drive should work as long as you have the caddy and connector for this laptop, I can help point you to a compatible hard drive caddy and connector if your's didn't come with them (most P&R systems from eBay don't, but replacements should be available).

There are no RPM limitations as far as I'm concerned (TBH this is the first time I've heard anyone bring this assumption up), just a lack of 48-bit LBA which means you should try to get a hard drive that's 128 GB or less in capacity.

I've been working with and researching these old Dell laptops for years now so if you have any questions about this system, feel free to mention any in your reply and I may be able to answer.

Reply 3 of 7, by Zuon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
KCompRoom2000 wrote:

As oeuvre said above, any 7mm-9.5mm 2.5" IDE drive should work as long as you have the caddy and connector for this laptop, I can help point you to a compatible hard drive caddy and connector if your's didn't come with them (most P&R systems from eBay don't, but replacements should be available).

There are no RPM limitations as far as I'm concerned (TBH this is the first time I've heard anyone bring this assumption up), just a lack of 48-bit LBA which means you should try to get a hard drive that's 128 GB or less in capacity.

I've been working with and researching these old Dell laptops for years now so if you have any questions about this system, feel free to mention any in your reply and I may be able to answer.

The one I'm getting is coming from someone who removed the hard drive for security reasons. This gives me the impression that it's not a reseller, just someone wanting to get rid of something old. I don't have any other questions for now, but I'll come back if I ever do! Thanks. c:

Reply 4 of 7, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oeuvre wrote:

Look for 7mm-9mm 2.5" IDE hard drives.

Something I haven't seen for many years are those really tall 2.5" drives, around two or three times the height of the usual modern ones. Did those have a name?

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 6 of 7, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote:

Something I haven't seen for many years are those really tall 2.5" drives, around two or three times the height of the usual modern ones. Did those have a name?

Really ancient <2GB ones often came in 12.5mm or 15mm height, which are probably what you're referring to. These also had the mounting holes in different positions, but AFAIK still use the same 44-pin IDE connector.

Quantum-Go-Drive-GLS170AT-HDD-IDE-2-5-1GB-Below-Go-Drive-GLS170AT-b-54197.jpg

This one looks like 15mm height.

Reply 7 of 7, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember fixing a laptop that had one of these fat drives in it. Unfortunately I didn't make a note of the model name. I remember it was black and was a strange shape, with a sideways profile that kind of resembled an old-style station-wagon.

Is this too much voodoo?