VOGONS

First post, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since we have threads about old hardware purchases and old hardware finds, how about a thread for old we saw and wanted but decided not to get for some reason. Maybe it weighs 500 pounds, its caked in filth or it was guarded by vicious dogs. Or maybe you're still considering buying it or picking it up and need some advice.

I'll start!

I went into our local Goodwill today after work. It is usually a JOKE... one of the worst selections of stuff you'll find at a thrift store. Very very rarely do I find anything even remotely useful, let alone "nice" or "really cool". Its basically one of the collections stations they use to harvest potentially valuable things from small poor towns to be sold online at a higher prices for the good of the company. Nothing decent is left there, and the truck comes often and leaves full (probably filled to the brim with retail boxed vintage computer hardware, to be sure... 😁 )

So, when I saw a box for a "Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro" from 1999, I was surprised. The box was in decent shape. It mentioned that the keyboard had a built in USB hub, which must have been unusual for the time. So I opened the box, hoping to find an unused keyboard that someone had just stashed away for years. What I saw, was... definitely not. Not new. No way. It was about 10 different colors from various stains (very uneven UV staining and some other things I didn't want to think about), the cords were gooey looking, the keys had funk all over them, seemed like smoke stains... just nasty. I closed it back up, thought for a second whether these were sought after enough to bother buying it and cleaning it up, hoping it wasn't totally beat... and decided to leave it behind. I'll clean layers of dirt and dust off a keyboard, even pet hair or other garbage that may collect on them in storage, but tons of caked on gunk\slime is a sign that a keyboard was used and abused heavily. If it came clean it'd probably have some kind of physical problem that would render it useless.

So, how about you guys? What are some things you've passed up? Funny stories about things you almost bought or grabbed but then had to run in the other direction for some reason? Or even post here if you're on the fence about a possible purchase\pickup. No sense clogging up the "just bought" thread if we haven't bought anything. 😀

Last edited by Ozzuneoj on 2017-11-16, 01:02. Edited 2 times in total.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 2 of 82, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My stupidest mistake was passing up on a free Turtle Beach Tropez card.

By then I've been into the hobby for may be a couple of months, and my first rig came with a Crystal-based soundcard. It was shitty, and so I thought that basically any card with a Crystal chip will be shitty as well. So when I've been offered that card, the owner didn't know the model name, so I looked at the chip and thought "meh". A week later I realised my mistake, but the owner already sold the card for 150 rub (2,5USD) on a local classifieds site.

That mistake really stings me to this day 😠

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 3 of 82, by Captain NA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I once got a contact who once worked at ITE Media, that had a partner ship with the Danish TV station DR. He got contacted by a previous colleague that their 3 Quantum3D Mercury Sysems where about to get thrown out. But when he finally had the time to react, the systems had been driven to the recycle a month ago...

Sad, but true. Did happen 2 years ago.

Just fooling around.

Reply 5 of 82, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm still looking for a Roland MT-32 and a Roland SC-88. Sure I've got other cool things (yamaha XG cards, a korg wavetable), but I'd really like to have the MT-32 music on DOS games. SC88 on the other hand is not really necessary, but I'd like to be able to choose which synth I want to use ^^

I'd like to have a socket 8 mobo as well even though I already have many socket 7 boards that could outperform a ppro system for DOS and several slot 1 as well

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 6 of 82, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A good MIDI proecssor is probably on pretty much everyone list of 'haven't bought or picked up... yet', and will likely stay that way for a very long time.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 8 of 82, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess I didn't word the title of this thread very well. I kind of meant this more for specific items which you had a chance to get and either need help deciding or have a funny story as to why you left it behind. I think we probably have other "wish list" threads, and they probably all contain "basically everything under the sun, if only I had the money, space and time". :p

Reply 9 of 82, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Passed up a complete Coleco Adam at a Goodwill back in about 2001 because I was broke, and couldn't justify getting an old computer at the time.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 10 of 82, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Apple doesn't seem to big around this board but I recently passed on an Apple IIGS (looked like a ROM1 with a RAM upgrade board) at a garage sale complete with a printer, disk drives, games, rgb monitor, etc because I wasn't carrying any cash. I wish I had gone back for it, the IIGS was the computer I learned programming with and would be fun to revisit.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 11 of 82, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BeginnerGuy wrote:

Apple doesn't seem to big around this board but I recently passed on an Apple IIGS (looked like a ROM1 with a RAM upgrade board) at a garage sale complete with a printer, disk drives, games, rgb monitor, etc because I wasn't carrying any cash. I wish I had gone back for it, the IIGS was the computer I learned programming with and would be fun to revisit.

For some reason, I've never had much of an interest in messing with Apple computers. It could just be my perception of them, but the constantly changing yet proprietary nature of Apple's computers means you have a huge number of different models with parts that aren't interchangeable... it seems like each system may have some variation in parts and some accessories, but the vast majority would be stock systems, all the same. Plus, lets face it, this is VOGONS... other than the educational games I played on an Apple II in grade school (Oregon Trail being the most memorable), Apple's aren't exactly known for their extensive gaming catalog.

Reply 12 of 82, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote:
BeginnerGuy wrote:

For some reason, I've never had much of an interest in messing with Apple computers. It could just be my perception of them, but the constantly changing yet proprietary nature of Apple's computers means you have a huge number of different models with parts that aren't interchangeable... it seems like each system may have some variation in parts and some accessories, but the vast majority would be stock systems, all the same. Plus, lets face it, this is VOGONS... other than the educational games I played on an Apple II in grade school (Oregon Trail being the most memorable), Apple's aren't exactly known for their extensive gaming catalog.

Probably should qualify that the Mac doesn't have a wide catalog, but the Apple II sure did! 😀 don't know the current state of Mac gaming, has anything changed?

Anyway, not a funny story, but about two years ago I picked up a huge amount of gear, at least two SUV loads. I had the chance to take two Compaq Alpha workstations that were destined for a presumably sad fate, but passed them over as I feared that fixing any problems would be expensive. Given that the bulk of the machines and gear I took worked, I wish I had just done that third trip 😢

Reply 13 of 82, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Passed up an IBM 5150 (with a dead PSU) and a dead 5151 monitor. He already had someone interested in it, so I know it will at least go to a good home. It was difficult not to buy, cause this was the same model as my very first PC.

Here's the reasons I gave myself:
- Too old for my interests
- No keyboard (and I haven't been able to find an XT compatible keyboard)
- XT class PSU would be hard to find if the PSU was beyond repair
- Monitor is also dead and would need repair

Reply 14 of 82, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A bunch of Slot 1 and Socket 370 motherboards, 6 USD a piece.. Passed because I have enough of these, but still..

x16_5017419224cr.jpg

Anything in particular worth having in this bunch?

Reply 15 of 82, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When I didn't buy any of 10+ available Lin-Lin Tualatin s370 adapters for mare $5 a piece. I was looking at the eBay ad on Sunday and saw the seller had 10+ for sale. I couldn't decided if I needed it and slept on it... on Monday every single one was sold. One guy bought his whole stash of 20 adapters 😠

This happened like 3-4 years ago...

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 16 of 82, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Those two boards with the orange heatsinks look interesting. Seem to be late model BX boards. Weird choice of placement for the power connector though.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 17 of 82, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Those two boards with the orange heatsinks look interesting. Seem to be late model BX boards. Weird choice of placement for the power connector though.

I suppose I could ask for better photos of those two and grab them along with the Ensoniq PCI and TNT2 M64, because why not.

Reply 18 of 82, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

They look like Gigabyte GA-6BXC boards. I have a v1.9 & v2.0 and those boards in the picture looks very similar.

Reply 19 of 82, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A Cx486DrX2 33/66 on eBay a few months ago. Shoulda just done and got it. 🙁

And back in '95 or so someone offered me a Blue Lightning system, but I didn't think it would be much faster than my Am386DX-40+Cx386DX-40 system. I had bad memories of the PS/2 systems Kinko's had at that time,too...

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"