VOGONS

First post, by soulmata

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right way to do this. If not, please let me know.

Years ago I lost my rare CPU collection and now I'm looking to rebuild it. One of my favorites was a working AMD-K5 PR200. I've been looking for a while to acquire one. If anyone has any tips on where I might able to do that, please let me know.

Reply 3 of 16, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The last time I saw one was for sale in Toronto in 1997.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 16, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The only time I've seen one in person was in the late 90's on a flea market for way too much money.

In 97 I was supposed to get one in a prebuilt machine for my birthday, but when the machine arrived the first bit of paperwork in the box was a letter that I got a free upgrade to a K6 166, which was neat. I still have that machine happily running at 200Mhz today.

Reply 5 of 16, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
soulmata wrote:

Hello,

Years ago I lost my rare CPU collection and now I'm looking to rebuild it. One of my favorites was a working AMD-K5 PR200. I've been looking for a while to acquire one. If anyone has any tips on where I might able to do that, please let me know.

What is your budget?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 6 of 16, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
soulmata wrote:

Hello,

Haha, welcome to the club.
You can get in line on cpu-world's forum, amibay and vintage computer forum.
That's where I got most of my uncommon stuff.

R9 3900X/X470 Taichi/32GB 3600CL15/5700XT AE/Marantz PM7005
i7 980X/R9 290X/X-Fi titanium | FX-57/X1950XTX/Audigy 2ZS
Athlon 1000T Slot A/GeForce 3/AWE64G | K5 PR 200/ET6000/AWE32
Ppro 200 1M/Voodoo 3 2000/AWE 32 | iDX4 100/S3 864 VLB/SB16

Reply 8 of 16, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
amadeus777999 wrote:

What would such a chip cost... 200$?

It would depending on the bidder and how well advertised the auction was. Recently, people were willing to pay north of $500 for a Cyrix 5x86-133/4x. Comparing the rarity of the two chips, the K5-200PR was less rare, so I suspect it would fetch in the $150-$300 range. For someone just trying to offload the chip to other collectors on CPU-World, perhaps it would fetch $70.

As of a year ago, I could still remember where I sourced mine and for how much, but now it escapes me. What is happening to my memory? Oh... 3 screaming kids and little sleep can greatly accelerate the aging process.

Trying really hard to recall, I think I paid $65 USD for mine many years back, from a collector retiring from the hobby.

Reply 9 of 16, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Was the PR200 in OEM machines only? I have a PR166 laying around that I bought a good 20 years ago, I don't remember any higher options being available at the time.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 10 of 16, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember reading, probably on a forum, that it was quietly released in the asian market. Any truth to this?

Reply 11 of 16, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They were definitely being sold in China towns in Toronto. Must be true. If you look up old issues of the Toronto Star technology section, I am pretty sure you can find them for sale.

Reply 12 of 16, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you ever physically see one for sale? I'm skeptical of advertisements. It could be that you go to order the chip from whatever store front and the store cannot get ahold of them either. Or may be you order a K5-PR200 and what you get is a K6-PR200.

Reply 13 of 16, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am pretty certain that the shop I bought my K6-200 from had some K5-200s in their glass display case. I remember that specifically, because I felt it was funny that AMD would undermine their K6 by making a a K5 that ran at the same "speed". Sure, they had 166MHz K6s too, but who bought those? In fact, later I was surprised to learn that the K5-200 was a rare chip.

Reply 14 of 16, by soulmata

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote:
soulmata wrote:

Hello,

What is your budget?

I'd easily pay $200+

Reply 15 of 16, by soulmata

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote:

Did you ever physically see one for sale? I'm skeptical of advertisements. It could be that you go to order the chip from whatever store front and the store cannot get ahold of them either. Or may be you order a K5-PR200 and what you get is a K6-PR200.

I bought the one I had from an eBay lot probably 14-15 years ago, and the last one I saw on eBay was 4 years ago.

Reply 16 of 16, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you add another zero, you could probably get one of the CPU collectors to sell it to you. And depending on the collector, you may still be refused outright at any price.