VOGONS

First post, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys 🤣
I just have a SB32 CT3670 and two 1mb 30 pin ram. 2mb is enough to load good soundfonts?
I plan to use on my PII 450 + win98SE. i wll just use for later DOS games and non-speed issue games.

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 1 of 6, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't consider myself an expert on soundfonts, but you obviously want a soundfont that is of good quality and will fit within the 28 MB limit of the AWE range.

Based on a couple of soundfonts that I've come across, I would say you need around 8 MB RAM but, 4 MB is probably the minimum.

This is based on my own preference in how these soundfonts compare to your Roland Sound Canvas & Yamaha XG range of sound modules.

Reply 2 of 6, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

At least a basic one to test the sb32.

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 4 of 6, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can try the one that shipped with the AWE32/SB32/AWE64 range of cards, namely 2GMGSMT.SF2 or, you can try a custom one called FINEGM.SBK.
Both are 2 MB in size.

Reply 5 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My take is that you will want at least 16MB so you can load the Chaos 12MB v2.0 soundfont.

30-pin simms are cheap as chips right now so no reason to not max it out after testing to make sure it works.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 6, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are some cool 28MB fonts to try but I find that it takes so long to load them on that era hardware that I rarely bother using them - the 4 and 8 MB GM fonts provided by Creative are good enough for me. I mainly play games tho.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.