VOGONS

First post, by Kubik

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Folks, does anyone happen to have a SCSI BIOS for NCR / Symbios 53C416? I've found a number of BIOSes for other chips, but this one looks like there was never a BIOS equipped card with it.
(I had an idea about reusing those old "scanner" cards for booting off an external SCSI device).

Reply 1 of 3, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kubik wrote:

Folks, does anyone happen to have a SCSI BIOS for NCR / Symbios 53C416? I've found a number of BIOSes for other chips, but this one looks like there was never a BIOS equipped card with it.
(I had an idea about reusing those old "scanner" cards for booting off an external SCSI device).

There are certain boards with support for booting from these cards, like Aopen and a few others (these don't have the chip onboard, but them have the BIOS support builtin). You can extract the option ROM from these ones, and inject it to other boards BIOS, or use a ROM loader on a floppy disk/network card to test the extracted file with your specific card.

Reply 3 of 3, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, sorry. Looks like I was confusing your card. The 53c416 seems to be an updated version chip of the 53c400 specifically made for HP and their line of SCSI Scanners only. The 53c400 8bit interface had a BIOS called Floptical ROM vX.X, but according very old archived posts in the mailing lists, looks like the 53c416 is an strict Scanner interface only, which makes sense, as HP never offers "hidden plus" in any of their offers. The 53c400 ROM doesn't seem to be compatible with the 53c416 in any way 🙁.