VOGONS

First post, by vandenabeele andries

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, guys. First of all a proper introduction.
My name is Andries VandenAbeele. Im 32 years old and I started my computer adventure back in 94.
This kind of happened to a lot of kids my age. We got a christams pc from our parents.
In the years to come we got newer and newer machines. However i never got rid of mine. I never got brave enough to throw a good working machine in the dumpster. I even strated collecting stuff people trew away. So thats where im at now. With a lot of old pc's 😁.

Back to topic. Back in 96 an old guy gave me a what looked like then "piece of S*** motherboard". I kind of just put it on a pile and carried on.
7 years ago when i moved to my new house i took all my working computers with me and set up a nice geeky attic. Lots of parts and even pentium 2s stayed at my parents house. Until my mom started cleaning out her attic and found this MB. There was no info on it. Just MADE IN USA.

Decided to give it a go and bought a vintage case in Litouwen near Russia. Set the whole thing but i would not display anything. So I started fiddeling with it and that got my no where. I looked online and found this forum. Found a guy with the exact same MB.
Printed out the details on the MB and started correcting pins.

NO LUCK.
I was wondering if any of you could lend me a hand.

Cheers Andries

Reply 1 of 6, by vandenabeele andries

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

At the moment I only have one bar of 4MB Dimm ram installed.
It has a DX2 processor so that means +50.

These are my jumper settings.
JP3 2&3 (50Mhz)
JP4 closed (50Mhz)
JP5 open (standard open)
JP6 closed (standard closed)
JP7 open (T3 50Mhz)
JP8 closed (50Mhz)
JP9 closed (50Mhz)
JP10 DONT HAVE A CLUE SO OPEN
JP11 1&2 (486DX2)
JP12 1&2 (486DX2)
JP15 closed (486DX2)
JP16 1&2 (486DX2)
JP17 1&2 (486DX2)
JP18 1&2 (486DX2)
JP19 1&2 (486DX2)
JP20 2&3 (1MB)
JP21 2&3 (1MB)
JP27 2&3 (1MB)
JP28 2&3 (1MB)
JP29 2&3 (1MB)

Reply 2 of 6, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Might this be the correct configuration for the motherboard you have?
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/Y/YO … A-486F-2VL.html

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 3 of 6, by vandenabeele andries

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stojke wrote:

Might this be the correct configuration for the motherboard you have?
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/Y/YO … A-486F-2VL.html

Hi buddy 😀. It was your tread I was on about > Symphony 80486 VLB motherboard. Via you i found out what my board was.
And thats the sheet i got to pin out the board. All jumpers were missing 😵.
Ive never had to deal with jumpers so far.
Just dont know if the board is giving me a hard time or if its dead (wich would be shit after keeping it for 20 years 😜).

The fact is I got no life in it right now (getting no bios display). What to do >
> Did i get some jumpers wrong?
> Is the bios flash dead?
> Do I need to replace the symphony battery or will it display bios without it
> Is the cpu fried and does it display bios without a cpu in it?
> Would it display bios with a keyboard lock
> It had a DX2 in the CPU location. Does the 487SX stay empty?

Perhaps a picture of you JP settings would be a good comparison.

Heres how i got the board set up right now

Attachments

Reply 4 of 6, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember about 10 year ago, I had exactly the same motherboard. I can't remember how I got it, except that I didn't pay much for it. Anyway, I am really interested in Symphony because my first ISA-only 486 used the Symphony chipset, and I always wanted the same board with VLB because I felt it had a nice chipset. Unfortunately mine was also like yours and would not show any signs of life, so I ended up tossing it. I'm sure at this point in time if I still owned the board I could have revived it, but back then I was moving around a lot and could only keep critical components due to lack of storage space. It's funny that your board exhibits exactly the same behaviour.

Maybe check the BIOS chip and socket.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5 of 6, by vandenabeele andries

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok Guys Im still struggeling with the Vega.
Ive never had to set an entire board in my life.

Ive tried a million different pinouts.

1 Does the board need a working bios battery > I guess not cause its only keeping track of time
2 Would it display anyhting with a non functioning bios chip ... anything at all
3 What the hell is waitstate i know its speed of memory access. Some sort of speed retard and/or delay. But what does it do in case you misschip it?
4 JP4 states speed on the VESA does this mean the cpu speed or the VLB cards' speed
5 Board and manual state 50Mhz settings for the DX does this include 50+ like a DX2
6 Phase setting, again this states the DX50 but in case of a 66 or + does it take the same settings
7 Location of the cpu is bottom as stated in the manual does the 387SX socket also take a DX2 and even can i run the bios without the cpu on a '92 board

Ps i already ordered a new board so im going to attempt the bios swap anyways

Thanks in advance guys

Reply 6 of 6, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vandenabeele andries wrote:
Ok Guys Im still struggeling with the Vega. Ive never had to set an entire board in my life. […]
Show full quote

Ok Guys Im still struggeling with the Vega.
Ive never had to set an entire board in my life.

Ive tried a million different pinouts.

1 Does the board need a working bios battery > I guess not cause its only keeping track of time

That depends on the board. Some boards won't do much without a battery, others will works fine but default to certain settings. In some cases low voltage or no voltage may corrupt BIOS settings.

2 Would it display anyhting with a non functioning bios chip ... anything at all

Depends on the board.

4 JP4 states speed on the VESA does this mean the cpu speed or the VLB cards' speed

Probably VL bus speed. Some boards become unstable at speeds 40 MHz or higher.

7 Location of the cpu is bottom as stated in the manual does the 387SX socket also take a DX2 and even can i run the bios without the cpu on a '92 board

No (different pin-out) and no (may result in a beep code if you hook up a speaker to the mainboard though).