VOGONS

First post, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi guys, does anyone know for sure/can identify the speed rating of this particular coprocessor?

unknown.png
Filename
unknown.png
File size
548.56 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I bought it labeled by the seller as 40MHz and I have no reason to question the seller's rating as it hasn't arrived yet, but how one can tell its speed anyway? I noticed that "40" (or any other speed) is not engraved on the chip like on other ULSI 387s, for example

others.png
Filename
others.png
File size
275.51 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 15, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ampera wrote:

You stick it into a computer and look at the BIOS info screen.

I believe that the BIOS only displays if an FPU is present or not. Plus it'll run at the processor's speed if the motherboard doesn't have jumpers for asynchronous operation -mine doesn't, am i wrong on this?

vandenabeele andries wrote:

How can you tell? This one also has "40" engraved on the chip.

Reply 4 of 15, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ampera wrote:

That just reports the speed you set it at.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 15, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote:
Ampera wrote:

That just reports the speed you set it at.

Yeah, sorry I have a massive cold so my brain is half busted.

I forgot you manually set speeds for 386 stuffs.

Reply 6 of 15, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

that chip is marked 1990. that is at the tail end of the 386 era, but before AMD made theirs (iirc). So I would deduce, because it has NO other markings regarding speed, It will likely run just fine with any INTEL 386. (up to 33mhz)

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 7 of 15, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That chip is marked end of 1993, the bottom right 4 digits are year-week. 51st week of 1993.
So yeah, based on logical assumptions an FPU manufactured almost in 1994 should be a 40MHz one.
What I'm really after is a solid way of identifying this chip from its markings, without potentially wrong assumptions.

Reply 9 of 15, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sprcorreia wrote:

I sold mine recently and it was marked 40 on the righ side. It's only visible at an angle that sometimes doesn't show in photos.

I was late, second in line in that amibay thread 🤣 So I guess I'll just wait for it to arrive since even in your photo the speed isn't visible. Maybe it's there after all, just not visible as you said. Very helpful, thanks.

Reply 10 of 15, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
konc wrote:

That chip is marked end of 1993, the bottom right 4 digits are year-week.

I saw that, but the chip was designed in 1990. (ish) so it would be designed with chips of that year in mind. At least that is how it works in my mind.

Reply 11 of 15, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:
konc wrote:

That chip is marked end of 1993, the bottom right 4 digits are year-week.

I saw that, but the chip was designed in 1990. (ish) so it would be designed with chips of that year in mind. At least that is how it works in my mind.

In this case it is probably more about the maturity of the manufacturing process. It is likely to assume that most late chips are of a high enough quality to be 40Mhz parts and binning at that point is primarily done for market segmentation instead of actual performance binning.

Reply 12 of 15, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

By that logic, Pentiums are old 1992 processors that were a year out of date in their introduction to the market. Why buy a 1992 pentium when you could buy a newer 1993 Cyrix 486-DX2 66mhz for less price at the same clock rate?

Last edited by leileilol on 2017-11-19, 03:40. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 15, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

maybe i could word that differently. You can't design X, when X plugs into Y, until you know what Y is. I'd wager Intel told people (by 1990) 33mhz was as fast as they were going to make 386's. So it would make sense to design the chip to run at the correct speed as a 33mhz 386.

Reply 14 of 15, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

maybe i could word that differently. You can't design X, when X plugs into Y, until you know what Y is. I'd wager Intel told people (by 1990) 33mhz was as fast as they were going to make 386's. So it would make sense to design the chip to run at the correct speed as a 33mhz 386.

Checkout the second photo I posted, it's a sample selection of "same" FPUs and some of them are marked as "40"

Reply 15 of 15, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's made during one of the final weeks of 1993. 1993 was really the last year 386s were being sold in volume, so I would almost bet on my mother's grave it's a 40MHz part. Regardless of what the marking is, if it works at 40MHz then what difference does it make?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium