VOGONS

First post, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi folks,

It just occurred to me, that modems have ROMs on, and were one of the first parts to regularly have a flash ROM installed due to standards being updated every few months through the mid-late 90s.

But then it occurred to me, "Wait a sec, is that ROM actually on the bus???" I don't know if you have to go through the modem chipset to flash them or what.

I was thinking this way, because I have plenty of probably flashable 8 bit ISA modems, that I really don't have a use for, (There's one or two nice full hardware all protocol ones picked out in case of sudden apocalypse and diallup comes back.) so I was wondering about sticking that XT IDE BIOS or similar on them, which would be really easy one would suppose, unless it's all proprietary flash utils and weird ROM addresses that aren't in the system ROM area..

I'm having a blind spot about it, brain won't tell me right (I shall have to poke it with a q-tip) so what do y'all think?

Thanks in advance...

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 1 of 3, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

its not on the bus. It is the software to run the micro-controller on the card.

I usually remove these flash roms and save them for other projects.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2 of 3, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Modems are exposed to the system via serial (COM port) interface, so their ROM is not exposed directly to the system .
External modems connect to an existing COM port . Internal ISA slot modems include a COM port on the card .

Later so called Windows-only modems (ISA or PCI) expose the modem functionality to the system through a software-simulated COM port .

Reply 3 of 3, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks guys, I was leaning that way but wanted a sanity check.

luckybob wrote:

I usually remove these flash roms and save them for other projects.

Good point, though now I'm wondering what are the chances of the bits ending the right way up if I flash it in the modem, given a suitable tool, then pull it to install in something else.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.