VOGONS

First post, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not too long ago I bought a slot 1 motherboard that was unfortunately DOA.

I was going over it and realized this slotket was sitting at the bottom of the box (makes me feel bad I was fully refunded, I wonder if this thing works). I've never seen one completely jumperless like this before. What CPUs would this be able to run? I'm guessing running a Tualatin would be a stretch, but I'm wondering if it can take a 370 coppermine. I already have a Coppermine P3 800/256/100 in my SE440BX-2.. Was wondering if I could possibly use this to squeeze a little more power out of it since it's a little sluggish in XP. Thoughts? Slot 1 and it's upgrades are a generation I skipped entirely back in the day.

I bought the board hoping to play with 133 bus, but that's out for now. I'm assuming 370 CPUs would want 133 come to think of it.

photo.jpg
Filename
photo.jpg
File size
1.91 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
photo (1).jpg
Filename
photo (1).jpg
File size
2.12 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 1 of 4, by Nipedley

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Usually slotket's come with jumpers so you can either manually set voltage and fsb or let the motherboard do it automatically, I couldn't find much info on yours but to me that looks like one of the early models designed to take slower celerons

In my Slot 1 P3 I have a MSI MS-6905 slotket running a 1.4ghz tualatin with 133 FSB (overclocked). The MSI MS-6905 doesn't natively support tualatin but I got one of those chips that has the adapter board already fitted to the CPU out of south korea, or you can mod the slotket instead.

Why not grab a cheap coppermine and give it a try? You can always source a newer slotket if needs be

Reply 2 of 4, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Jumperless slotkets were sold back in the day for mendocino celeron CPUs. They usually don't run with coppermine P3 chips, but there are exceptions.

Reply 3 of 4, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well if I grab a coppermine to test I would at least want it to out perform the 800/256/100 I have, otherwise I'm just buying parts to toss in the bin. 100 bus coppermines above 800mhz are quite expensive. After doing some reading I think this would only be worthwhile if I get one that will run a Tualatin. 1.4ghz @ 133fsb would be an INSANE upgrade for this system, that MSI slotket seems to go for $50 or more though, a bit expensive. Somebody on ebay has 1.4ghz tualatins for 24 bucks right now.

I see earlier Celerons took 2v, which is probably what this is meant for according to kanecvr. I think I'm just gonna put this one aside for now though, thanks guys.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?